ISO Raw chicken..how long is it good?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angie

Head Chef
I bought a huge unsplit chicken breast on Tuesday...I bought it from behind the meat counter, so it wasn't prepackaged with a "use by" date on it.

How long do you think it's good for? I am not really in the mood for cooking tonight. Is Friday OK...or even Saturday?

Thank you!

If I were you & definitely didn't want to cook it tonight, I'd DEFINITELY plan on cooking it no later than tomorrow. If you don't have a specific recipe in mind, just cook it & use the cooked meat in something. Better than having to toss it out.

Without knowing how it was wrapped, how long it was in your car before you got it home, how cold your refrigerator is, and where you stored it in your refrigerator, I'd say you're pushing it. Too many variables to let it go any longer without cooking it.

I would recommend cooking tonight and reheating it tomorrow or do as BreezyCooking suggested, cook it, then freeze it for use in a recipe later on.

It was wrapped in plastic and white butcher paper..went from the store to my car to my home in minutes time (it is about 15 blocks away). It was in the bottom back of the fridge..

I do have a specific recipe..and all the ingredients but it's not a good night to cook (too tired). Is it too late to freeze it?

OK, I just called the meat department..they said they got fresh chicken in on Tuesday (they get it every other day) so it should be good tomorrow...??

Back
Top Bottom