"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Old 06-21-2009, 07:47 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
Red face ISO Roast Chicken help

Hi, I just baught my New FlavorWave oven Platinum! its awesome for every day things and keeps my husband happy... But Its come to the Weekend roast! when we baught the FlavorWave we saw the adverts god knows how many times.. and saw them cook whole chickens ect with ease.

well, the recipe book didnt come with guides to cooking a plain whole chicken! and Ive not attempted to cook a whole chicken before ( cause im petrified of getting someone sick LMAO) Sounds silly i know! but i needs help! ive looked everywhere for step by step instructions to cook a whole "plain" chicken ( Has Fussy husband lol ) in the FlavorWave and have got no where..

Is there Anyone about that can Help me Please!?

cookin' noobie! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 08:29 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
Welcome to DC..Make yourself at home!

Have you tried contacting the manufacturer????

Have Fun & Enjoy!

There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:07 AM   #3
Head Chef
Nuwave - Flavorwave oven recipes Cookbook : Recipezaar

second recipe: Baked chicken and stuffing.

do a google search for Flavorwave recipes .... that should help
GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:09 PM   #4
Hey Cookin Noobie. Weigh your chicken first, and then rinse it out with cold water. If you want to rub it with salt inside and out you can. Then you need to put it in your pan for 20 minutes per pound at 350F degrees. I like to crank my oven to 450F for about 20 minutes then turn it down and do it like normal. For your first attempt I wouldn't do stuffing. I would maybe put a quartered onion and a quartered lemon into the cavity and just leave it at that. Good luck. Post back and let us know how it went.
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:28 PM   #5
Senior Cook
I made roast chicken for the first time a few months back and I too, was concerned about doing it. :)

I bought a fresh chicken and used the following poultry rub:

1 tsp each of:
black pepper
lemon pepper
cayenne pepper
chili powder
dry mustard
brown sugar

1/2 tsp garlic powder
pinch of cinnamon and salt

I used fresh rosemary and thyme and whole garlic cloves and put those around, inside and on top of the chicken.

Before I put it in the oven, I browned it a little on the stove. I also cooked it in a dutch oven.

And I used a meat thermometer and cooked it to 170 degrees.

It went really well and I've done it a few times since and I'm no longer worried about it. This is just what I did and it has worked for me. Good luck!

Also, after cooking a whole chicken, it is now my favorite way to cook and have chicken.
People will forget what you said, they will forget what you did, but they will never forget how you made them feel.
Jeni78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 01:20 PM   #6
flavorwave--bah humbug!

I bought one of those things and mailed it back within two days! What a waste of time and money! The small chicken I put in it burned on the top and was raw in the middle. I went back to my trusty enamel roasting pan and have been much happier.

I spray it with Pam, chop up some onions, carrots and celery for the bottom, rinse and pat dry the chicken, duck, turkey, beef, pork or whatever, and season it all over with the seasonings of choice (often just Lawry's Season Salt for chicken, or salt, pepper and granulated garlic for beef, or S&P, Ground rosemary and granulated garlic for lamb) then pop it into the 400deg oven uncovered for about 30 min, then put the cover on and turn the heat down to 350 for an hour or so, test it with my instant-read thermometer and proceed from there until it reaches the right temp. Usually no more than an hour for a big chicken.
I can do all my other prep while it's roasting and it always comes out perfectly browned and juicy.

Sometimes the old fashioned way is better than newfangled.

It's not the destination, but the journey!
chefcyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 02:13 PM   #7
Head Chef
I like to do a whole chicken the way James Peterson describes in his great cookbook Glorious French Food. He says that when he's feeling lazy or rushed, he just puts a whole chicken in a 450 degree Fahrenheit oven (230 C) for 50 minutes, until the skin is crispy and brown and the juices that accumulate in the cavity (inside the bird) are no longer pink, then serves it. He calls this his equivalent of a TV dinner.

Just be sure to remove the giblets and other innards from the cavity of the bird and rinse it well before cooking it.
Scotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 04:46 PM   #8
Master Chef
I have no idea of what a FlavorWave oven is, or how it works. But I do have a recipe for you, in fact, several. Look on page three (I think) on the thread titled "What's for Dinner Thursday June 18, 2009?"
There are four recipes there that all require some roasting, and one that is completely cooked in the oven. As was stated in one of the previous posts, use a meat thermometer and remove the chicken when it reads 155' F. in the thickes part of the breast (close to the leg/body joint). Let it rest for 10 minutes before carving.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 04:55 PM   #9
Senior Cook
Here is a picture of a flavorwave.

I had to look it up as well...I had not heard of it.

I guess I am old fashioned. I do not like gadgets. I am a late adapter when it comes to technology. I hate spending money on something unless I am SURE of the product/service.

I don't really understand how it works.
Attached Images
People will forget what you said, they will forget what you did, but they will never forget how you made them feel.
Jeni78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 01:15 PM   #10

The gadget is basically a sort of radiant heat/convection cooker. The top has a heating element and a fan, and the food sits in the bottom on a rack to drain grease, etc, and it's all contained in a plastic see-through thingy.

Judging from the picture in that post and the one I had--that chicken is something like a cornish game hen in size. Anything taller burns at the top before the heat reaches the bottom, even with the fan. If you only cook for one, it's probably ok, but still not worth the over $100 price! I'd rather use the Showtime Rotissiere, that at least works with substantial amounts of food!

It's not the destination, but the journey!
chefcyn is offline   Reply With Quote