"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 02-26-2007, 12:08 PM   #1
Senior Cook

ISO Rotisserie Chicken help!!

I have 2 whole chickens defrosting and i'm planning on doing rotisserie. Other times i've done it, it was a little bland. What seasonings do you guys put on your rotisserie chicken or what do you recommend. Thanks

Old 02-26-2007, 12:13 PM   #2
Everymom

So many ways you could go debbie. You could go the lemony route, and use lemon and assorted green herbs (thyme, rosemary etc) or you could go the garlic/onion/salt route. Thats how I would go. Do you ever make rubs? I think that might be yummy for you too. Go take a look at the rub subforum and search out a chicken rub. That would spice things up for you.

Old 02-26-2007, 12:18 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi Debbie,
Alix has a good idea there with the rub..How about doing a double rub? First lift the skin away from the chicken meat, breat and legs. Make a paste of butter,favorite herb or herbs, chopped fine,crusched garlic, a little salt and pepper. smear it thickly under the skin, then put the rub, on the outer lifted skin..That just might make one delicious chicken...

kadesma
Old 02-26-2007, 12:30 PM   #4
Sous Chef

I don't do rotisserie, but when roasting chickens I just liberally salt them and coarse black pepper. You could put a pesto or sage butter under the skin and then salt them.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:44 PM   #5
Master Chef

Usually when I rotisserie my chickens I rub them all over with 2 lemon halves, then stuff the squeezed halves into the chicken, along with some fresh herb sprigs (thyme, rosemary, whatever I have on hand). I also rub the exterior of the chicken with extra-virgin olive oil & then sprinkle on dried oregano, granulated garlic, seasoned salt, black or red pepper (crushed flakes or cayenne) - whatever suits my fancy at the time.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:56 PM   #6
Senior Cook

MmMmm these all sound good. I'll take a look a the rub subforum (never noticed it before) and see what i can come up with. I think i'll do the butter rub under the skin also, I do that on our thanksgiving turkey and it always comes out so moist.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:40 PM   #7
Master Chef

I know it belongs in diferent forum, but what kind of rotisseries do you have?
Old 02-26-2007, 01:53 PM   #8
Master Chef

I almost hate to admit it, but I have good old Ron Popeil's "Showtime Rotisserie" - the basic/original model - & I LOVE IT!!!!! It performs exactly like those idiotic infomercials says it does.

I do chickens, whole fish & fish filets, turkey parts, game hens, & even ducks (oh God - the ducks turn out FABULOUS) in it & have NEVER been disappointed. Plus, cleanup is a breeze.

When my husband bought it for me as a semi-joke gift, I thought it would join the other unused gadgets in the basement. Lo & behold, we use it so often, it's earned it's own space on my totally cluttered counter. I'd rather have it clutter the counter than drag it up & down from the basement every week - lol!!!

It's a wonderful appliance, & in Lord knows how many years (it's been quite a few), we've never had a problem. I HIGHLY recommend it.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:37 PM   #9
Master Chef

Thanks. I love rotissery chicken and been wanting to get one fro home use. Just never got around yet.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:01 AM   #10
Senior Cook

i also have the showtime, my dad bought it and didnt use it so i have it now. Thanks everyone for your help. I went to the rub subforum and got a really good one from there and the chickens turned out really well. I rubbed inside of the skin with a herb butter and then did the dry rub on the outside. I let the chickens sit for about 2.5hrs before cooking. Very good!!

The recipe is:

pinch of salt
1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1 tsp lemon pepper
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp light brown sugar
1/2 tsp garlic powder
pinch of cinnamon

Posted by GB. Thanks GB.

Tags