ISO: something to do with chicken and mushrooms?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HappyAvocado

Senior Cook
hi all,
i went to the farmers market and i was lucky enough to pick up a good amount of chanterelle mushrooms and oyster mushrooms for very cheap! i wanted to cook them up for dinner with some chicken... i have a few boneless skinless breasts. i was thinking some sort of mushroom gravy with the chicken (my family loves anything with a sauce), but i dont want to ruin the flavor of the mushrooms. we dont eat dairy, but most any dairy ingredient i can substitute, short of making a cream sauce or something. any ideas?

Try this avocado...

Grill or pan fry the chicken, then serve with this sauce

Saute about 500g/1lb of sliced mushrooms with 1 onion or a couple of shallots, thinly sliced, with olive oil. Season with salt and white pepper. When they are cooked sprash some white wine and continue on cooking until the wine is almost evaporated. Stir in 250ml/9oz of sour cream and chopped flat leaved parsley. Heat it up to just before the boiling point.

They are brilliant just as is, or on pasta, but I can bet also delicious with grilled chicken.

oh gosh that does sound good. do you think i could sub. the sour cream for goat yogurt? i can do goat dairy.

I wouldn't recommend making a sauce like this with chanterelles, as they are $$ and deserve to be the star of the sauce ...

BUT, it's very easy to make a "cream" type mushroom sauce for chicken that is dairy free. I do it all the time.

Slice up a pound of button mushrooms and cook covered until they are done. Strain the liquid from the mushrooms and make a bechmel sauce with dairy-free margerine, flour and the mushroom broth with chicken broth or mushroom/veggie base added if you need more liquid. Add cooked mushrooms to sauce, check seasoning and you're good to go. I also add minced onion to the mushrooms sometimes.

FOr the chanterelles, I'm thinking some type of wine sauce. IMO sour cream or yogurt would overpower them. They are a beautiful thing and deserve to shine on their own.

I'd probably do a pan sauce reduction with some dry white wine and shallots.

Last edited:
HappyAvocado said:
oh gosh that does sound good. do you think i could sub. the sour cream for goat yogurt? i can do goat dairy.

Good question Avocado...
39.gif
I did substitute the sour cream with greek style yogurt before with satisfactory results. But if I remember correctly they were made with regular cow milk, not goat, just made richer and creamier than regular yogurt. I would test it and see how it will react to the heat first!!

Ahhh, sorry avo I missed that you have to go dairy free!! then thicken the wine sauce with some corn flour and additional herbs like thyme and majoram... but I hope the goat yogurt works out...

Last edited:
Mushroom Pie

This is a recipe from a dear friend who is a gourmet cook. He has made it for us, and it's quite delicious.
I think it would be wonderful with your exotic mushrooms, lucky you!

Mushroom Pie

1-1/4 lb. fresh mushrooms
1/2 cup sweet onions, chopped
1 tbl garlic, minced
1/4 tsp salt
dash pepper
4 tbls butter, divided
2 tbls flour
2 cups liquid (liquid from shrooms plus half & half)
pastry for double crust pie

Preheat oven to 425.
Saute mushrooms and onions slowly in 2 tbls butter until caramelized. Add garlic, and cook a minute more. Season with salt and pepper. Drain any remaining liquid from the pan and put in 2 cup measure, then fill with half & half.
Melt other 2 tbls butter in large sauce pan, stir in flour and cook a minute, then remove from heat and whisk in liquid. Cook, stirring, over medium heat until sauce thickens. Add mushrooms to sauce, correct seasoning, and set aside.
Line 8" pie pan with pastry. Add filling, top with pastry, crimp edges and prick top.
Bake at 425 degrees for 8 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 for 35-45 minutes, or until browned.

*Note: I detected a hint of herb in this...possibly thyme and/or oregano.
**Substitute chicken broth for the half & half.

Last edited:
thanks for the suggestions everybody. jennyema, i went with something similair to your idea, a simple white wine reduction with the chantrelles and some shallots, poured the whole thing over grilled chicken breasts and topped with a lot of fresh parsley. the mushrooms turned out to be flavorful and delicious, the family loved them. i am definately going to try some of these other mushroom sauce ideas in the future!

Back
Top Bottom