"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Old 05-10-2006, 05:29 PM   #11
Master Chef
Originally Posted by mish
BTW, I like stuffing from a box -- particularly stove top. You can add in oysters, fruit, nuts, anything you like.
This recipe uses boxed stuffing, and is really, really good. It's called a casserole, but it's really dressing. Dorothy Jean was a very nice lady and a good old-fashioned cook, who gave me this recipe many years ago. It has evolved since then, but the general rule never fails.

2 boxes chicken flavor instant stuffing mix
1-1/2 stick butter, melted, divided
3 cups chicken broth
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celer
4-6 cloves minced garlic, or 1 tbl jarred minced garlic
approx. 1 cup mayonaisse (NOT salad dressing)
2 cups chopped cooked chicken or turkey
3 eggs
1 cup milk

Directions: In medium bowl, mix together stuffing mix, 1 stick melted butter and chicken broth. Put half this mixture in buttered casserole (I use small or medium old speckled porcelain covered steel roaster) and set aside. Microwave or saute celery, onions and garlic in remaining butter (may substitute olive oil or bacon grease) until onions are translucent and celery is tender. Spread on top of stuffing mixture in casserole. Next, add a layer of chicken or turkey. At this point, you may add whole or chopped oysters, sauteed mushrooms, water chestnuts, cooked sausage...whatever your heart desires, at this point. Spread a layer of mayo over the top, making sure to cover completely. Top with remaining stuffing mixture. Beat eggs in milk, and pour slowly over top. You may have to stab with a knife a few times to help milk mixture soak in. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees, and bake casserole, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Turn heat down to 350, and bake about another 60 minutes, or until bubbling and crusty on top and bottom. Let stand for 30 minutes.

We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 05:36 PM   #12
Hey Trip, my stuffing recipe is very simple, and is a crowd pleaser in our house. Just use as much dried bread chunks as you want, saute a diced onion in some butter and olive oil and throw that in with the bread. The onion should be nicely golden, but not too brown. Then sprinkle poultry seasoning, seasoned salt and some pepper on it. As far as amounts go...hmmm...a couple tablespoons of each should do it. (I just eyeball it so can't be more precise). The scent of the poultry seasoning should be the dominant one. Then to wet this mixture you can use chicken broth, veggie broth, water, or milk. I tend to use milk as that is how I was taught to make it. This stuffing is great inside the cavity, and is pretty good in an extra casserole as well. Good luck.

You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 08:28 PM   #13
Head Chef
To me a stuffing/dressing has a basic formula from which one can roam at will.

One needs some veggies (sautéed), a starch (usually bread but can use others, including rice), some meat (sausage, oysters, crabmeat, etc.), fluid (chicken stock, water, oyster liquid), and spices. Also may want to include some fat (butter, mayo) and eggs (if needed as a binder, particularly if one uses cornbread), or some fruit.

And not all of those need to be included in every recipe.

For the Thanksgiving boid (grew up in Brooklyn), do our traditional with a mirepoix with some added peppers, sausage (Jimmy Dean type stuff, or Italian, or some other), bread crumbs (usually store bought), chicken stock (canned), spices (as needed, if we use the Italian seasoned bread crumbs we just adjust, like a bit more sage), and usually add some butter. I like adding some apples or raisins, but am usually out voted.

For baked stuffed lobster will make some sautéed onions in butter (maybe with a bit of finely diced red pepper), add crushed Ritz crackers (or equivalent, but they have to be the butter flavored crackers), some extra butter if needed, maybe a bit of water to moisten, and some spices. Seems I am forgetting something here, sorry.

Made some boned quail a few years ago (boned the quail myself, what a pain) and stuffed with a wild rice mixture added to sautéed onions, with some mandarin orange slices from the can, think I added a bit of stock (but it was a bit of time ago), and spices.

Turned out great.

I guess what I am trying to tell Trip is that making stuffing is not all that hard.

Follow a few TNT recipes at first, get them down pat and then you can learn to wing it.

Just the kinda disjointed way we cook around here.
auntdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 04:50 PM   #14
Master Chef
I'm with AuntDot on this one. I tailor my stuffing to my meal plan. I too have used the white & wild rice, combined with mandarin orange slices, onion, and a bit of ginger to fill the inside area of a crown roast.

Take that same brown and wild rice mixture, cook till done in chicken stock, then add chopped celery, diced onion, chopped water chestnuts, sage, thyme, and pepper. I stuffed this into cornish game hens and cooked on the covered kettle barbecue. This rice stuffing is also phenominal when made from turkey broth (just boil up the liver, gizzards, and neck. Season with salt, sage, and tumeric to taste), then place in a pan with the chopped gizzards and livers (optional), and bake in the oven or heat in teh microwave when it's needed.

I love bread dressings and stuffings. I tend to add everything except the egg so that I know what it will taste like before I stuff it into the bird, or more frequently, place it into a suitable oven-safe covered pan, and bake it. Adding the raw egg last allows you to mix everything together, add the seasonings, and test-taste it. You then can alter the seasonings as needed, garunteeing perfect stuffing. Learned that trick from someone on this site. Wish I could remember who so I could thank them.

Hope this helps.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 09:58 PM   #15
Senior Cook
Send a message via Yahoo to Quizzie
Do you want your stuffing to be made with Cornbread or Bread? What would you be serving it with? As it was stated earlier... there are alot of recipes.
Quizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 12:15 AM   #16
Senior Cook
to go with poultry, usually turkey, I seem to prefer bread stuffings.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Herm Albrighthttp://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...s/tripcopy.jpg
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote