"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 06-28-2005, 01:24 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

ISO the best way to fry chicken

Hello,

Just found this forum today.

Erm, I have a problem with frying chicken. I buy breasts, slice them up and whack them in hot fat for various recipes.

But the chicken (from whichever supermarket) always seems to "leak" water! It's as though it's been injected with water to make it look bigger.

So, is there anyway to fry chicken without my pan ending up full of juice? When it happens, the chicken ends up being boiled rather than fried.

I'd appreciate any tips.

Andy

Old 06-28-2005, 01:47 PM   #2
Master Chef

Welcome to DC, Maddarlo. Most chicken these days are injected with broth. As for fixing that, I'll let some else answer that. There are some pretty smart cooks here that will come along and give you that answer.

Old 06-28-2005, 01:48 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Welcome to the group! Texas is right.. someone will come along and answer all your questions.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:26 PM   #4
Head Chef

This is just a guess, someone else might prove me wrong, but your oil might not be hot enough.

Anyway, welcome abord!
Old 06-28-2005, 03:31 PM   #5
Senior Cook

I'll go along with everyone else, and wait for a good answer to your question , but in the meantime, how hot, and how deep is your oil?

I have good results using a dutch oven no more than half full of oil heated to a starting temperature of 360 degF. Then, 350 degF is maintained while the chicken cooks.

Tom
Old 06-28-2005, 03:45 PM   #6
Head Chef

I've never tried this, but could you take a meat tenderizer to the meat a little bit to make it even and then some residual liquid would come out? Or wrap in a paper towel and put a large plate over it w/ a can or something heavy on it. I do this with tofu, gets a lot of water out. Haven't tried it w/ chicken though...
Old 06-28-2005, 03:47 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I'm taking a stab at this too - frying chicken requires some sort of breading on the outside and put into 375 oil at least. The breading/flour-egg coating will sear and hold in all the juice.

There absolutely is a good amount of water injected into chicken these days. If you want to avoid that you will have to buy free range chicken or look for some that isn't injected.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 04:11 PM   #8
Head Chef

maddarlo,
Could you give us more specifics on exactly how you are fixing the chicken? More details might help us out in figuring what is going on.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:32 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by htc
I've never tried this, but could you take a meat tenderizer to the meat a little bit to make it even and then some residual liquid would come out? Or wrap in a paper towel and put a large plate over it w/ a can or something heavy on it. I do this with tofu, gets a lot of water out. Haven't tried it w/ chicken though...
That's actually good advice. Use paper towels because you can discard them to avoid cross contamination. You don't have to drain the chicken as long as you would tofu, nor would you have to weigh the chicken down. Just put the chicken between a couple of layers of paper towels and squeeze together to get some of the excess water out.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:49 PM   #10
Head Chef

I thought that the hot oil (if hot enough) would act as a sealer and seal all the juice and liquid in...Can anyone give me more detail on this, or correct me if I'm wrong?

Tags
None