"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 03-05-2013, 03:56 PM   #1
Head Chef

ISO tips/advice w/oven-roasting sausages

Have any of you ever tried roasting sausages in the oven? I would like to try kit with hot turkey sausages tonight. Any suggestions re temperature and cooking time? Any help will be appreciated, as always.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:07 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I bake Italian sausages and meatballs instead of frying them. 375F for around 15 minutes, turning once usually does it. Be sure to vent the sausages with the tip of a knife or they will explode!

Old 03-05-2013, 04:21 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
I bake Italian sausages and meatballs instead of frying them. 375F for around 15 minutes, turning once usually does it. Be sure to vent the sausages with the tip of a knife or they will explode!
Yes. They swell up quite a bit and can explode. After taking out, careful when you stick them or they may squirt hot fat in your face. Been there, done that. Most of the time they split in the oven. No biggy....
Old 03-05-2013, 04:53 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Not sure how you plan to serve them, but I like to slice kielbasa and then broil it. The increased surface area gets nicely browned and yummy.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:49 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Yes. They swell up quite a bit and can explode. After taking out, careful when you stick them or they may squirt hot fat in your face. Been there, done that. Most of the time they split in the oven. No biggy....
Been there, eaten that. That's how the ex used to cook them. Ouch.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:14 PM   #6
Master Chef

I like the old Italian standard of sausage, potato, chicken, peppers and onions roasted together in the oven.

Many variations exist but, I just cut everything up toss it in olive oil, add some garlic, salt and pepper then roast it for an hour or so at 400 - 425 degrees. When its done and everything is tender I hit it with a shot of red wine vinegar or some fresh lemon juice.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:43 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Stirling used to cook sausages in the oven until I made him stop. They dirty the oven something fierce and I don't find them any better that way. If I want to cook a lot of sausage at once, I prefer to simmer them (yes, poke holes in the casings) and then they can be quickly browned on a pan or in the oven under the broiler.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:33 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

If you are going to bake the sausages in the oven, prick them and then place in the oven on a rack over a pan to collect the drippings. Place them pricked side down. The fat will drain out as they cook and not squirt all over the oven. Place some water in the pan as it will help reduce any smoke. Turn the sausages half way and allow to brown.

I always baked them when my kids were growing up. Saved on time. While they were baking, I would be doing the onions and peppers on the stove top.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:51 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

in my cookbook by dom delouise, "eat this; it'll make you feel better", he specifically mentions not to prick italian sausages because you end up letting out all of those delicious fatty juices. i guess you have to really love juicy sausage to put up with fat burns.

turkey sausage won't be as fatty, so i wouldn't pierce them for fear of splatter.

if i have a lot to do, always brown my sausages in a pan on the stove top, then place them on a cookie sheet to finish cooking through in the oven at 350 for just about 7 or 8 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I like the old Italian standard of sausage, potato, chicken, peppers and onions roasted together in the oven.

Many variations exist but, I just cut everything up toss it in olive oil, add some garlic, salt and pepper then roast it for an hour or so at 400 - 425 degrees. When its done and everything is tender I hit it with a shot of red wine vinegar or some fresh lemon juice.
mmmmm, we call that sausages and chicken murphy! i love the stuff!

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:02 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

You can see the amount of fat in a sausage. And when I see alot of it, then I am sure to prick them.

Tags
None