"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 12-03-2007, 11:43 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

ISO TNT chicken and biscuits recipe

That is what I typed into search and it didn't narrow down my search much.
I'd like to make some easy chicken and biscuits with some leftover chicken I have. I figured I can follow the directions on the box for the biscuits, I've done those before long ago, but I've never been happy with the chicken part of it. Any recipe I've used before called for cream of chicken soup and I don't want yellow chicken and biscuits. I want the kind you get when at a diner (or dinor up here in PA). The kind with the neutral colored gravy that resembles the chicken coloring.

Does anyone have a handy link or recipe they can share?
Thanks

Old 12-03-2007, 12:32 PM   #2
Head Chef

I am confused by your question. I was living in Atlanta before and Chicken and Biscuits were pretty popular as a sandwich for breakfast.

The chicken and biscuits I had always had fried chicken and biscuits on the side. Are you looking to do that or something different.

I have occassionally seen gravy on top of the chicken if that's what you are referring to and yes they normally use a condensed cream of chicken or mushroom soup for that. Atleast that's what it tasted like.

Although I am not a huge fan of fried foods, when I do make gravy and want it white I just prefer to use a readymade packet of mccormick white gravy. It has a good amount of seasoning in it already. I make it mine by adding some freshly chopped garlic and some fresh thyme to it.

Old 12-03-2007, 12:54 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

hmmm, maybe it's an area thing then.
Chicken and biscuits up here in the northeast refers to a hot mixture of chicken, gravy and vegetables served over biscuits or sometimes mashed potatos. It looks like the inside of a chicken pot pie (sans crust), but the chicken is usually more shredded.
Maybe if I search chicken pot pie I'll have better luck.
Thanks for getting me thinking that way, Yakuta
Old 12-03-2007, 09:34 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Was looking around for what I thought you might be looking for and found this. Domestic Goddesses: Chicken, Biscuits & Gravy Casserole
I'm not sure if it's what you were looking for since you didn't mention casserole... but it sure does sound good lol! I bookmarked it and going to try it soon myself.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:44 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

That is much like her chicken mug pie that I adapted last night. Thanks. You can't read too much to get some idea of what you're doing when you step up to the kitchen counter
Old 12-04-2007, 06:23 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Maybe it would be something more similar to Chicken ala King? Add some extra veggies to it and put it over biscuits?
Old 12-04-2007, 06:57 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Exactly Suzi, veggies and "sauce" for the biscuits.
Ala King... that means with peas, doesn't it? I thought someone told me that long ago. I like peas by themself, but not in my chicken and biscuits. It always seems like they overpower everything.

Anyway, I must have gotten my topics mixed up. I said in another post that it didn't come out too bad. Not restaurant quality, but very passible.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:08 AM   #8
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to mikki
I just use chicken broth and make gravy then add the other ingredients. I'm always told my gravy looks too pale. My family loves chic-n-bisc, thanks for reminding me I think well have this tomarrow.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:10 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
No, I just can't read..... Sorry!
Old 12-04-2007, 07:59 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

I've never heard of Chicken and Biscuits in this form. Down here some Fast Food places sell a "chicken 'N' biscuit that is a piece of fried breast inside the biscuit. Others sell fried chicken with a biscuits(s) as a side. Of course I have heard of Chicken pot pie, which I am fond of.

The idea of a chicken pot pie filling ladled over biscuits sounds yummy!!
I will try this soon! It just makes sense it would be good!! Thanks Pacanis for the idea!!

Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None