ISO TNT Duck Recipes - Without Orange

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You guys are awesome!!! Thanks for all the helpful links!!!

Breezy Cooking... LMBO reading about your 2 olympians!!!! I guess I will refrain from grilling duck.

Ok, so retain the fat for other uses.
Boil carcass and jiblets for stock.

I think this duck is going to be with me for a while.... now I'm gonna need ideas on where I can use duck stock!!!

Last edited:
Roast your duck on a rack to keep it out of the grease save the grease for cooking other things. for a side I would make German style red cabbage as the tartness of the cabbage will cut some of the fat taste. Make a sauce Cumberlin or sauce Bigarade with currant jelly and port exelent on duck. Garlic and balsomic and soy glaze would be nice as well

easy way to cook duck is to split it down the middle, open it nice and flat, give it a wash,, put fresh pasley, garlic, salt and olive oil all over it, then roast it.

Although the common flavor you hear about being associated with duck is orange, it is plum that is considered the classic flavor combination. I also once did a roast duck with blueberry that I was very happy with.

However, as someone has pointed out already, you really don't need a fruit sauce or side to go with it. In fact, duck is really quite nice on its own, as the foxes in my back yard will attest as they pick out the feathers from their teeth that they got from my 4 muscovy ducks :mad:.

About the fat: cut some hash marks into the breasts of the duck. If you are roasting it whole, drain the fat out after about 20 minutes to half an hour. If you are cutting pieces off, then render the fat off the breasts by cooking them at a low temp in a pan fat side down for a few minutes. The French refer to duck fat as liquid gold, and they make the absolute best French Fries. Talk about the perfect side dish!

This is a recipe I was given and found very good.
Pete’s Instructions For Duck
, get a large duck from either a supermarket or a good butchers shop and wipe it inside and out with kitchen paper. Rub it inside and out with plenty of sea salt and black pepper, and stuff it with a citrus fruit cut in half, some grated nutmeg, a sprig of rosemary and a few cloves of garlic.

Pre heat your oven to 180 C. Pop the duck upside down on a roasting tray and place it on the middle shelf of the oven. Roast for an hour, basting a couple of times with the fat that accumulates in the tray, then turn it right way up. Baste it again, spoon the excess fat from the tray and roast for another hour.

After 2 hours cooking, the meat should be very soft, but still moist from all the fat that has rendered out of the skin. Spoon any additional fat from the tray and if the duck isn't crispy enough (depends on your oven) pop it back in at a higher temperature for 10 mins or so to crisp it up.

Welp folks, I am about to start my duck.... (giggles with excitement!!!) so I was going to ask a question or two but it looks like a few of you have anticipated my questions!!!

I'm going to try this for my first time around and my questions are this:

Cook on rack?

Prick the skin?

It does not mention these steps in the recipe itself so I would like to know if I should do this. You folks gave me some really good tips and I hope this will encourage others to try duck. I'll be back in several hours to let you know how it goes.

Also wanted to thank you folks for the recipe links. If it turns out that I like duck, I'm definately lining up some of these recipes for the future!!! I love adding different things to my menu!!!

Review

:chef: I'm a duck lover!!!! I really liked this recipe and found myself smearing my fingers around the pan trying to get those tasty pan juices!!! Duck is not chicken in flavor, but it is not a far out taste either (at least wear farm raised ducks are concerned). I liked the flavor of the duck and quickly found myself trying to decide what recipe to try next. Yea!!!! At least something went right in light of the COWBOYS' loss!!!! Arrrrrghhhh!

I want to thank all those that responded to this thread, I learned so much about duck and looking forward to learning more!

Glad you liked it! It's one of my favorite all time foods. A good roast duck almost makes it OK that the Cowboys lost, right?

Glad you liked it! It's one of my favorite all time foods. A good roast duck almost makes it OK that the Cowboys lost, right?

UGH.... almost Andy... at least I could allow my sorrows to wallow in that wonderful pan drippings!

:chef: I'm a duck lover!!!! I really liked this recipe and found myself smearing my fingers around the pan trying to get those tasty pan juices!!! Duck is not chicken in flavor, but it is not a far out taste either (at least wear farm raised ducks are concerned). I liked the flavor of the duck and quickly found myself trying to decide what recipe to try next. Yea!!!! At least something went right in light of the COWBOYS' loss!!!! Arrrrrghhhh!

I want to thank all those that responded to this thread, I learned so much about duck and looking forward to learning more!

Way to go, sattie. So glad you liked the duck - & went with the ginger/soy/honey mixture. I may try that on chicken (with an orange in the cavity, for me). Will you share your prep method with us? TIA

Next time, how about Duck Confit?

Duck confit

Prep Method...

I prepped this as I watched our Cowboy's give it away..... :mad:

Anywho... I washed the bird inside and out and stood the bird up on end to let it drain. (I could not get the neck of the bird out, so I left it in there... don't know if it was attached or not.) Using paper towels I dried the bird as well as I could inside and out.

I made double the amout of the marinade/sauce mixture since most of the comments I read stated that they wished they would have made more. I poured the mixture into the cavity of the bird and basted the outside and let stand for 1 hours as stated in the recipe.

Heated oven to 350. Placed bird on a rack and pricked the skin in several places (being careful to not pierce the meat) to drain the fat.

After first 20 minutes of cooking, checked bird and saw that my sauce was drying up to a sticky mess so I added 1 cup of water to the bottom of pan. Basted bird and repeated this process every 20 minutes or so for 2 hours. (Actually I cooked it for 1 hour and 40 minutes.) The bird got darker and darker and the broth got thick and gooey... removed bird from over, tented loosely with foil and let set for 10 minutes.

I set the duck between DH and myself and I went to town! The sauce was really dark and messy, so by the time I was done eating, I looked like a 2 year old that just had my first chocolate bar in July... :-p

I was amazed that there was not more meat on the bird than there was... it was almost like eating a cornish hen. Which is fine, just surprised is all.

I got about a half cup or more of duck fat... yum! and I have reserved the carcass for some duck stock. Which leads me to a question that I will need to post about!

HTH amy!!! Gonna go get me another duck and try out some other recipes!!!

When you say you have "duck fat" you saved to use, are you talking about extra fat that you removed from the raw duck before you marinated & cooked it, or fat that congealed in the pan after roasting?

If the latter, you can't really save that because it's full of the marinade (unless that's what you want). If the former, as in pure raw duck fat, you can easily render it & use it for sauteeing potatoes, roasting root vegetables, etc.

When I say I save the duck fat, it's because I steam the duck unseasoned before roasting, pour the fat & juices/broth into a large bowl to set, & then skim the fat off of the broth that remains from the steaming. The broth is saved for stock; the fat for sauteeing. But neither is flavored by any seasonings or marinade.

I want to try duck... so I have purchased a frozen whole young duck that is 4.5 lbs. Since this is my first time to buy duck, I realize that my purchase may be flawed, but hey, you got to start some where!

As far as boning the duck, here is a great video that shows hwo to do it, it was very helpful for me the first go-round:
PBS: Julia Child: Lessons with Master Chefs: Meet The Chefs: Alfred Portale

I also second the notion that the fat is priceless. render the fat from the skim and save it in a container. i substitute it for butter all the time, and it adds a great flavor

just a seared duck breast, finished in the oven until rare is fantastic as is without any sauce on it.

some other sauce i have used that have been great are a creamy peppercorn sauce, and a black tea & jasmine sauce. I also had duck last night, and it had a cherry adn camralizes onion sauce that was outstanding. sweet goes a bit better then savory with duck imo. and im not an orange fan either... but my preference is still just plain without a sauce:

img_536029_0_798ac0e179cc3bf68d2ce673d8db0f85.jpg

Last edited:
Looks wonderful jerseyjay! I did keep the fat, but it is with the marinade and all, so I suppose it will have a flavor of some sort... guess I'll go test it out to see what it is like. I think I will make some duck stock, help me keep my mind off the wonderful news we got today at work that we are laying off 4000+ folks... UGH!

The problem with saving the duck fat "with the marinade and all", is that while pure duck or goose fat can be kept refrigerated or frozen for extremely long periods of time, when extraneous liquid is in there, it can turn the whole batch rancid.

If you're going to save duck or goose fat, you need to render it properly, as in cooking it down & allowing all water based liquid to evaporate until you have nothing left but pure fat. In the case of liquid duck fat mixed with stock, you skim the fat off the stock into another saucepan & then simmer it until all the liquid is gone. You'll know - the fat left will begin to sputter. You remove it immediately from the heat before it browns or burns, cool slightly, & then pour into a storage container for the fridge or freezer.

Duck fat RULES!

Heres an old fashioned recipe for roast duck that you might want to give a shot...Roast the bird for 3 hours breast side down at 250 degrees then turn it breast side up and raise the temp to 350 for another 30-45 minutes to crisp the skin. I use that package of Orange Sauce in a dessert later.

Back
Top Bottom