"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 01-12-2008, 04:27 PM   #21
Senior Cook

From Ming Tsai

Roasted Duck with Soy-Lime Syrup

Old 01-12-2008, 05:56 PM   #22
Master Chef

You guys are awesome!!! Thanks for all the helpful links!!!

Breezy Cooking... LMBO reading about your 2 olympians!!!! I guess I will refrain from grilling duck.

Ok, so retain the fat for other uses.
Boil carcass and jiblets for stock.

I think this duck is going to be with me for a while.... now I'm gonna need ideas on where I can use duck stock!!!

Old 01-13-2008, 12:18 AM   #23
Head Chef

Roast your duck on a rack to keep it out of the grease save the grease for cooking other things. for a side I would make German style red cabbage as the tartness of the cabbage will cut some of the fat taste. Make a sauce Cumberlin or sauce Bigarade with currant jelly and port exelent on duck. Garlic and balsomic and soy glaze would be nice as well
Old 01-13-2008, 01:13 AM   #24
Sous Chef

easy way to cook duck is to split it down the middle, open it nice and flat, give it a wash,, put fresh pasley, garlic, salt and olive oil all over it, then roast it.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:05 AM   #25
Senior Cook

Although the common flavor you hear about being associated with duck is orange, it is plum that is considered the classic flavor combination. I also once did a roast duck with blueberry that I was very happy with.

However, as someone has pointed out already, you really don't need a fruit sauce or side to go with it. In fact, duck is really quite nice on its own, as the foxes in my back yard will attest as they pick out the feathers from their teeth that they got from my 4 muscovy ducks .

About the fat: cut some hash marks into the breasts of the duck. If you are roasting it whole, drain the fat out after about 20 minutes to half an hour. If you are cutting pieces off, then render the fat off the breasts by cooking them at a low temp in a pan fat side down for a few minutes. The French refer to duck fat as liquid gold, and they make the absolute best French Fries. Talk about the perfect side dish!

http://www.homemade-soup-recipes.com/
ErikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 02:00 PM   #26
Sous Chef

This is a recipe I was given and found very good.
Pete’s Instructions For Duck
, get a large duck from either a supermarket or a good butchers shop and wipe it inside and out with kitchen paper. Rub it inside and out with plenty of sea salt and black pepper, and stuff it with a citrus fruit cut in half, some grated nutmeg, a sprig of rosemary and a few cloves of garlic.

Pre heat your oven to 180 C. Pop the duck upside down on a roasting tray and place it on the middle shelf of the oven. Roast for an hour, basting a couple of times with the fat that accumulates in the tray, then turn it right way up. Baste it again, spoon the excess fat from the tray and roast for another hour.

After 2 hours cooking, the meat should be very soft, but still moist from all the fat that has rendered out of the skin. Spoon any additional fat from the tray and if the duck isn't crispy enough (depends on your oven) pop it back in at a higher temperature for 10 mins or so to crisp it up.

Old 01-13-2008, 05:22 PM   #27
Head Chef

Here are two recipes to check out - both with great reviews:

DUCK WITH BLACKBERRY SAUCE
Duck with Blackberry Sauce Recipe at Epicurious.com

SUCCULENT STUFFED ROAST DUCK WITH BALSAMIC CHERRY SAUCE
Succulent Stuffed Roast Duck With Balsamic Cherry Sauce Recipe | Recipezaar
Old 01-13-2008, 05:25 PM   #28
Master Chef

Welp folks, I am about to start my duck.... (giggles with excitement!!!) so I was going to ask a question or two but it looks like a few of you have anticipated my questions!!!

I'm going to try this for my first time around and my questions are this:

Cook on rack?

Prick the skin?

It does not mention these steps in the recipe itself so I would like to know if I should do this. You folks gave me some really good tips and I hope this will encourage others to try duck. I'll be back in several hours to let you know how it goes.

Also wanted to thank you folks for the recipe links. If it turns out that I like duck, I'm definately lining up some of these recipes for the future!!! I love adding different things to my menu!!!
Old 01-13-2008, 05:26 PM   #29
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by merstar View Post
Here are two recipes to check out - both with great reviews:

DUCK WITH BLACKBERRY SAUCE
Duck with Blackberry Sauce Recipe at Epicurious.com

SUCCULENT STUFFED ROAST DUCK WITH BALSAMIC CHERRY SAUCE
Succulent Stuffed Roast Duck With Balsamic Cherry Sauce Recipe | Recipezaar

The blueberry is definately one that sounds great!!!

Csalt... another awesome sounding recipe!!!
Old 01-13-2008, 11:25 PM   #30
Master Chef

Review

I'm a duck lover!!!! I really liked this recipe and found myself smearing my fingers around the pan trying to get those tasty pan juices!!! Duck is not chicken in flavor, but it is not a far out taste either (at least wear farm raised ducks are concerned). I liked the flavor of the duck and quickly found myself trying to decide what recipe to try next. Yea!!!! At least something went right in light of the COWBOYS' loss!!!! Arrrrrghhhh!

I want to thank all those that responded to this thread, I learned so much about duck and looking forward to learning more!

Tags
None