ISO TNT Duck Recipes - Without Orange

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i made some duck the other day with some help from ironchef... its a seared duck breast with cherry/onion sauce.

Ingredients:
-Duck breast
- roasting potato, diced
- brussell sprouts
- 8-12 fresh cherries, split and pitted
- 1/2 onion, sliced and halfed
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- Kirsh or cherry brandy
- Duck or chicken stock
- red wine
- salt and pepper

Score the duck breast and sear with fat side down for about 3 minutes or until the fat starts to render. sear on the other side and transfer to a preheated 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until an internal temperature of 140 degrees.

Steam the brussell sprouts, drain, half, and set aside... add the potatoes and chopped onions to a skillet with some olive oil and cook over a high heat stirring frequently until the potatoes become soft. add in the soruts and season with salt and pepper. keep warm.

carmalized the sliced onions in a pan over low heat. deglazed the pan with some duck stock, Red Wine, and about 3-4 oz of Kirsch/brandy. Reduce the sauce and add in the cherries continuing to cook until the cherries just begin to shrivel and soften.

slice the breast in hal length wise and serve over the sauce/hash mixture.

img_540303_0_df79a2bd75fb06aebbcda66fe9ad5c25.jpg

WOW! That looks great!!! Are you able to purchase duck breast meat or do you cut that from a whole duck? Only thing I can find (so far) is frozen whole duck.

WOW! That looks great!!! Are you able to purchase duck breast meat or do you cut that from a whole duck? Only thing I can find (so far) is frozen whole duck.

no i buy the whole duck frozen... thaw it, then debone it. i'll put the legs/thighs in a freezer bag and save them and either roast them or make duck confit out of them. i use the carcass and wings to make duck stock. i render all the extra fat and save it to later cook with....

then i cook the breasts the same day. i'll usually buy 3 or 4 ducks at once and debone all of them so i have a good amount of meat. You would be pretty hard pressed to find someplace that sells just duck breast as it wouldn't be profitable for them... likewise if you do find it you are going to pay a lot for it.

Here is the video again on deboning the duck:
PBS: Julia Child: Lessons with Master Chefs: Meet The Chefs: Alfred Portale

it was really helpful for me

Last edited:
If you don't want to buy & debone a whole duck, many markets do carry duck parts these days.

Here in Virginia, both the Giant & Whole Foods stores carry both duck breast & duck leg/thigh portions vacuum-sealed & frozen in their frozen specialty meat section (along with calves liver, rabbit, geese, ostrich, emu etc., etc.).

While I've never bought the breast, I did try the D'Artagnan brand duck leg/thigh "confit" from Whole Foods, & it was quite good.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom