ISO TNT Duck Recipes - Without Orange

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sattie

Washing Up
I want to try duck... so I have purchased a frozen whole young duck that is 4.5 lbs. Since this is my first time to buy duck, I realize that my purchase may be flawed, but hey, you got to start some where!

My delimma is that just about every recipe I find for duck is some sort of orange duck recipe and I am not to keen on the orange flavor in meats. So I was wondering if anyone here on DC had a TNT recipe for duck, either whole or I am not above whacking this thing up for better results, that does not include orange.

Then, I would like to know what are some side dishes that would go well with my duck.

I would like for this to be my Sunday meal... so I got a few days to gather some ideas and tips from you folks!!! THANKS!!!

You do not have to use any fruit sauces. Treat it like a roast chicken except it can be served medium rare to medium.

Rices are a good side dish. Brown or wild rice would go well.

Growing up, we use to have Muscovy duck for the Holidays. Very simple seasonings, salt, pepper, and garlic. Makes good gravy over mashed potatoes and dressing.

I want to try duck... so I have purchased a frozen whole young duck that is 4.5 lbs. Since this is my first time to buy duck, I realize that my purchase may be flawed, but hey, you got to start some where!

My delimma is that just about every recipe I find for duck is some sort of orange duck recipe and I am not to keen on the orange flavor in meats. So I was wondering if anyone here on DC had a TNT recipe for duck, either whole or I am not above whacking this thing up for better results, that does not include orange.

Then, I would like to know what are some side dishes that would go well with my duck.

I would like for this to be my Sunday meal... so I got a few days to gather some ideas and tips from you folks!!! THANKS!!!

Sattie, I love duck - but have not prepared it at home. My fave French restaurant (Le Petit Chateau) does it so well. If you're are not an orange fan, how about cherry sauce. I like a sauce because the duck can taste a little gamey (& sometimes fatty).

From memorty the sides - baby carrots or green beans and a potato gratin. Good luck. Let us know how it turns out. I would like to try making duck at home as well.

Oh, just remembered there are some links I came across for Peking or Chinese duck with lots of tips. Poke around google, or I will try to find them again & post.

Thanks for the replies folks. Andy, I thought about treating it like chicken, but then I figured as soon as I did, I would be doing a big no-no. Barb... I like simple. Do you season the inside as well?

So I need to "beware" of a gamey taste? Cherry would definately be better than orange. Maybe the orange is not so bad... it seems it is meant to go with duck.

First time out of the gate...I would do a simple, basic roast. Nothing fancy. Enjoy the richness of roast duck. Oh, and afterwards simmer the carcass for a rich, yummy stock, for soups, gumbo, etc.....

Enjoy!

...So I need to "beware" of a gamey taste?...

The taste is fantastic. It's more like a red meat than a poultry. I wouldn't describe it as gamey. It was farm raised I'd guess so gamieness won't be an issue.

Just don't expect it to taste like chicken or you will be disappointed.

I love duck but have only cooked duck breasts at home, never the whole duck and I too dislike orange with duck. My preference is for Asian and then a crispy coleslaw (without the mayo but with a soy vinaigrette instead) is lovely.

I've been trying to think how I cooked the duck breasts last - it was a while ago as I can't get them very easily. I think I just cooked them with salt, pepper and garlic and served them with a salad and marscapone stuffed figs in balsamic vinegar. A bed of couscous would also work well, as would standard roast vegetables - esp mushrooms, asparagus and potatoes.

I've been served cotton duck on wild mushroom risotto and I found it incredibly heavy. I normally order duck that arrives on a bed of mashed potato or with a salad.

Two nights ago I opened a packet of mini ducks' legs that I had bought some time ago and just ate them with hoisin dipping sauce. Quite tasty but next lot will be with a plum sauce. I was toying with turning the flesh into duck and mushroom vol au vents but think I might just eat them instead!!!!

How do you deal with the fat on the duck? When I've tried it,on the grill, I have had a real mess and not necessarily a tasty result.

I've seen a lot of chefs boil the duck first to get rid of a lot of the fat and then they dry it good (over night) before cooking. Suppose to make a crispy skin.

Last edited:
I have had good results cooking a duck with potatoes, carrots, and onions, in a camp dutch oven. It turned out surprisingly good. The first time I tried it was at a primitive encampment. There were some amusing moments whilst it was cooking.
I posted here about it when I first joined. you can read it here.

I started looking online for recipes and found quite a few without the orange. So here are the two recipes I am thinking about:

This one almost sounds tooooooo simple....

ROAST DUCK (Recipe) @ Emeril's dot com

And this one sounds really yummy and I am leaning towards this one unless I find something else....

Roast Duck Recipe | Recipezaar

I figure with the rich red meat it has, there is no way it is going to even come close to tasting like chicken. Honestly I am not sure what to expect as far as flavor Andy!

Someone asked about the fat... all the recipes I found say to prick the skin to allow the fat to drain off... but that is for roasting. Not sure what could be done for grilling.

What do you think about the two recipes I posted... preferr one over the other?

Lost the whole post - Poked around youtube & found some videos that might be helpful/informative for the prep, addressing the fat etc. This one is made with oranges, but hope it will be helpful re prep etc... & the side dish at the end looks deelish.

YouTube - Ina Paarman's Roast Duck with Sticky Orange Sauce

This one is just an idea for tea-smoked duck & a different method & entertainment value:

YouTube - Learn to Cook Peking Duck!

Lost one I wanted to share, where the duck is rubbed w 5 spice powder etc & involves a fan, lol. Will see if I can locate it again & share. (Another involves a bicycle pump? lol)

I also like duck in a pancake w hoison sauce. Wolfgang has/had a recipe on the web that looked very good.

Have fun with your duck. :chef:

Last edited:
Ahhh thank you amy!!! I just watched an IC episode where the secret ingredient was duck. They did pump air under the duck skin to separate it from the meat. I guess it helps make the skin crispier?

Pumping air under the skin is part of the process for making Peking Duck. It's notr necessary for defatting a whole duck. Making small cuts in the skin and roasting it will allow the fat to drain off.

You can also follow the process of briefly boiling the whole duck to melt off the fat under the skin.

Between the two, I would choose the honey, ginger & soy. IMHO, adding some sweetness would compliment the duck.

For sides - you could go with roasted butternut squash filled with rice, raisins & nuts (posted a couple of links under acorn squash), haricots verts or scalloped potatoes with gruyere.

Still looking for the youtube recipe/method with the five spice powder etc. It takes some time, but it is the best homecooked method I've seen.

Last edited:
Thanks Miss Amy! I ate the butternut a couple of days ago, so I am thinking wild rice or couscous (hubby hates it) and a salad or broccoli or some other green. I found another one that sounds good, but all the butter they use sounds kinda crazy given how fatty the duck is...

Roasted Duck - Allrecipes

Be very VERY careful grilling duck over an open flame. My dad & grandad found that out the hard way one summer when they tried doing 2 on the rotisserie over our big brick barbecue. When both seriously caught fire, dad & grandad each grabbed a flaming spit & raced to the house with them - like 2 deranged Olympian torch-bearers - & dumped them in the sink. They finished their roasting in the kitchen oven - lol!

Sauces notwithstanding, after cooking duck (& very-similar goose) for many many years, I've found 2 methods that have been superior to all others.

The first is to steam/braise the pricked bird on the stovetop first to release as much fat as possible (which is then retrievable & SUPER to save & use for sauteeing potatoes & other root veggies) & then just brown it in the oven.

The 2nd is to simply prick the skin & stick it in my infamous little Ron Popeil "Showtime" electric rotisserie. The 1st time I tried this, I watched it like a hawk, fire extinguishing materials at the ready. But amazingly enough, there was not only no fire, but no smoke whatsoever. The fat dripped obediently into the drip pan, & there was enough room so I didn't have to stop during roasting to empty it the pan. And the skin came out HEAVENLY. In fact, I can't remember the last time I roasted a duck any other way than in that little rotisserie.

Thanks Miss Amy! I ate the butternut a couple of days ago, so I am thinking wild rice or couscous (hubby hates it) and a salad or broccoli or some other green. I found another one that sounds good, but all the butter they use sounds kinda crazy given how fatty the duck is...

Roasted Duck - Allrecipes

Yeah, I'd pass on adding a stick of butter, satt. Re the fat, I like the suggestion/oven method here, cause she puts the duck on the roasting pan that allows the fat to drip & adds water so it will steam, cutting off that fatty part near the tail & stabbing the duck & not your husband, lol. If I were basting - I'd do it at the end after the skin crisps, with hoisin (sp) or a plum sauce & serve w mandarin pancakes or side of sliced cukes & green onion brushes.

YouTube - Ina Paarman's Roast Duck with Sticky Orange Sauce

Your sides/veggies sound delish. What time is dinner. ;)

Your probably making a whole duck, but I had to share this Duck Confit recipe - be sure to watch part 2 - the blueberry sauce & crisping. Gotta go get some duck confit :cool:

YouTube - Duck Confit Part 1 Prep and Roast

P.S. Added the links, cause sometimes I think it's easier to watch a prep method than read a recipe. Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom