"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 01-09-2006, 06:50 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel
It must be me - but the title of the dish intrigues me! Italian chicken FRANCAISE?
Must be a Northern Italian restaurant.

Old 01-10-2006, 03:23 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Very north!

Old 01-10-2006, 06:39 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

in my opinion you can do 2 things to make your sauce thicker:
1/ you poor the wine and lemon juice together and let it boil until its reducedinto half. Then you whisk the 'ice cold' butter -cut into small pieces- into this mixture. You have to whisk until your sauce is getter thicker.
2/ you melt the butter in a pan and add 2 or 3 spoons of flour. You whisk the flour until it has been absobed by the butter. Then you pour the wine and lemon juice over this mixture and whisk firmely until you get a thick sauce. (it's the same way you make a suace Hollandaise or cheese sauce)

Hope one of these suggestions will work out.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:27 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Thumbs up Thanks!

Ok, hereís what I did and it worked! It looked 100% like it does at the restaurant!

I boiled the wine and lemon for about 3-5 minutes until all of the alcohol was removed and the lemon was reduced to about 3 tablespoons in the pan. I then removed the pan from the heat and added chunks of butter, swirling it around until it all dissolved and threw in some chopped parsley. Only problem I had was that the sauce wasn't to hot; Is there any way to fix that? Although it could be a little thicker it was about 80% how it comes in the restaurant! I didn't have to add any flour or heavy cream either!

Thanks everyone so much for the help! I love the dish and I didn't know that by changing the cooking style it could make such a big difference on a meal. Any ideas on how to make the sauce a bit thicker and hotter? Iím afraid if I heat it up anymore it will separate like before?
Old 01-11-2006, 12:40 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Did you use the full stick of butter in the sauce?

While you're incorporating the butter (and afterwards), you can keep the sauce warm enough for service without breaking the emulsion. You cannot let it come to a boil. Try it a few times and you'll get a feel for it.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:48 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Yeah I use about a stick and a half. I figured if I add more maybe it would thicken more?
Old 01-11-2006, 02:53 PM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FifthE1ement
...I figured if I add more maybe it would thicken more?

Up to a point.

While the butter will thicken the sauce, keep in mind that the thickest sauce isn't the best because it's the thickest. Sauce should be thick enough to cling to the food and have a pleasing texture. Beyond that, it's a matter of individual preferences.

If you want to thicken it further, consider a slurry of corn starch or flour for added thickness.

Tags
None