Kentucky Fried Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dove said:
I saw another one for KFC that uses instant Tomato Soup packets.
Marge

I used that one......it sucks! Just use plenty of poultry seasoning, Lawrys seasoned salt, Brown in oil and finish it up in the oven.

Bangbang said:
...Brown in oil and finish it up in the oven.
Interesting. I perceive part of the challenge in frying food as cooking it in hot oil from start to finish.

Tom

Tomw said:
Unfortunately, for fear of burning, I do not think I could leave the chicken alone long enough on a side for the process to work. :( Tom

:LOL: Tom, that must be a man thing...my husband is the same way, although he's learning.

You can lift a piece with your tongs and take a look at it.
It also helps to put the pieces that take longest to cook in first. First the breast, then thighs, legs, backs, wings, and livers in that order. (I like the chicken backs.)
Sometimes I cut the breast in 3 pieces, making a nice succulent portion with the pulley bone, then cutting the bottom section in half. It cooks faster that way, and it's fun to have a wishbone. I also like to cut the wings into two pieces, throwing away the tip.

Constance said:
Goodweed, I didn't mean to imply that the extra seasoning doesn't make a difference in the taste...in fact, I have added some extra stuff from time to time. We just enjoy the taste of the juicy chicken and crispy crust without a lot of extra added flavors.
It's amazing how many people don't season their flour...that makes all the difference in the world.

Constance; Thanks for clearing that up. I knew you were too good a cook to believe that flavorings were unimportant. I commend you on your technique. And your recipe did look very tasty. And like you, I believe that though the seasonings are important, the texture and juicy quality of the meat are more so. A piece of chicken baked in the over to perfection, with only a bit of salt, is far superior to chicken that has been perfectly seasone, and cooked to cardboard consistancy.

I truly enjoy fried chicken, when done properly. It's great stuff, and makes a great cold snack when there are any leftovers.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I have made a fried chicken recipe where you par boiled the chicken pieces first then coated them in the flour etc and fried. They were really tender and you didn't burn them with long frying.

mrsmac said:
Did you used to come home smelling like it after work too??

Did I! :nuke:

My mother made me come in the back door which went right into the laundry room. I had to take off all my clothes and place them right into the clothes washer and wash them.

Then I had to shower to get the grease off.

But boy do I have some good stories! And I know how to make mashed potatoes for 300!

frying chicken...so many great recipes. use a real fryer...a smallish bird...I am a firm believer in a seasoned buttermilk soak, double dredging in seasoned flour, and using shortening in a cast iron chicken fryer. make sure your chicken is room temp when you start frying. but truly it is a technique you learn by doing. try a "breading" of pulverized corn flakes, cayenne pepper, and parmesian cheese! woozer!

Not a heart healthy meal, but...

...nothing beats fried chicken, and appropriate (read as "fried") side items for supper. :chicken:

The chicken was pressure-fried in a Wearever Chicken Bucket, whereas Grandmother Colson's dutch oven can't be beat for cooking homemade onion rings & fries.

Mac & cheese was last night's grain. :rolleyes: But the Boyz did enjoy fresh apple slices with the repast.

Uh, BTW, the beer was used only for the onion ring batter. Really! :D

Tom

Attachments

• ChickenBucket.JPG
    ChickenBucket.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 371
  • SideItems.JPG
    SideItems.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 382
I gotta have mashed potatoes and cream gravy with my fried chicken...and peas, to make a little bird's nest out of my potatoes. I usually fix biscuits too...they are so good with that gravy, or a dollap of honey on top.

Constance said:
I gotta have mashed potatoes and cream gravy with my fried chicken...and peas, to make a little bird's nest out of my potatoes. I usually fix biscuits too...they are so good with that gravy...
I hear you sister! :)

Unfortunately, the Boyz will eat neither mashed taters nor peas nor gravy (they're preschoolers, so there is still hope :D), and their mom does not eat gravy. :ohmy: Since I was pressed to make gravy without everything getting cold, I skipped it & the biscuit this time.

Tom

My fried chicken is soaked in buttermilk, dipped in flour twice (seasoned of course) cast iron skillet, med high heat, and patience. All of this talk is making me hungry, To hot to stand over hot grease. If I have to eat fast food chicken I will eat Hardee's chicken.

A lead I can not follow up on

A man from New Zealand and I swapped notes the other day on duplicating KFC's flavor. He indicated that Coat 'n Cook marketed by Diamond is a close approximation of the flavor.

Apparently, the product is only available in New Zealand. :(

Interesting thing is that, around here, Diamond sells matches. They appear to be quite diversified. Anyone else heard of Coat 'n Cook?

Tom

Attachments

• Coat n Cook LR.jpg
    Coat n Cook LR.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 479
I haven't heard of it in Australia but i will look next time I'm in the supermarket. We can buy diamond brand walnuts here.

Hmm. Maybe I need to email my step-sister, who lives in New Zealand, and see if she can mail me some of the stuff.

Dedicated KFC forum

I got email the other day from a man who runs an online forum dedicated to KFC:

The Colonel's Kitchen

The layout is a little different than here, but the site is pretty neat.

Tom

Batch #3 (Everyone loves this recipe)

KFC Original Fried Chicken - Batch #3 :chef:
Author: Claude Ellsworth Worthington III
6 pieces Chicken
2 tbsps Black Pepper (Ground)
2 tbsps Salt
1 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
1 1/2 tsp Paprika
3/4 tsp Caraway Seeds (before Grinded)
1/2 tsp Nutmeg
1/2 tsp Thyme (before Grinded)
1/2 tsp Sage (Rubbed)
1/2 tsp Allspice
1/4 tsp Celery Seeds (before Grinded)
1/2 tsp Rosemary (before Grinded)
1/2 tsp Basil (before Grinded)
1/8 tsp Cayenne Pepper
1/4 tsp Sugar

2 cups All-Purpose Flour
2 1/2 qts Fresh Wesson Vegetable Oil
2 oz Milk and one egg

Flour Mix:
Put flour and spices in a gallon zip lock bag or a paper bag and mix well.

Milk Mix:
Whisk milk and egg together in a bowl.
Drench 6-8 pieces of chicken in the milk mixture until well
coated then shake 2 pieces at a
time in the flour/spice mixture. Place coated chicken on a plate.

Pressure Cooking Method:
*** Warning - Please be very careful when using pressure cookers with oil - please read your owner's manual before attempting to try this cooking method!

Deep Fryer - 360 degrees, cook till the ckn is done.

Oven - 325 degrees, cook till the ckn is done.

Enjoy!

And Ellsworth's is another great place for KFC cooking and reading!

Ellsworth's Place
http://ellsworth.forumup.us

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom