"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 07-07-2005, 11:05 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomw
I have three of various sizes, two of which are actually rated to pressure fry. :
Funny, after you wrote this I kind of shut down Isn't two one too many? I'll even pay shipping! No?

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 03:34 AM   #12
Head Chef

My first job was at KFC and we put the secret herbs and spices into the flour and coated the chicken but then it was lowered into oil pressure cookers and cooked for about 12 minutes. We used to joke that 11 of the secret herbs etc were black pepper! I think its probably the cooking method is the key not as much the spices.

Old 07-08-2005, 10:37 AM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmac
My first job was at KFC and we put the secret herbs and spices into the flour and coated the chicken but then it was lowered into oil pressure cookers and cooked for about 12 minutes. We used to joke that 11 of the secret herbs etc were black pepper! I think its probably the cooking method is the key not as much the spices.
Both having our fisrt real jobs at KFC! It's a wonder we are still interested in food!
Old 07-08-2005, 07:54 PM   #14
Master Chef

My fried chicken is better than Kentucky Fried, by a long shot. I think I posted the recipe here someplace.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:03 PM   #15
Senior Cook

I'll see you, and raise you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
My fried chicken is better than Kentucky Fried, by a long shot. I think I posted the recipe here someplace.

Them's dangerous words, ma'am.

I think I posted a map to a pirate's treasure here too.

Seriously, I would like to see your recipe if it can be located.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 07-09-2005, 12:41 AM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
Both having our fisrt real jobs at KFC! It's a wonder we are still interested in food!
I think its Despite working there lol
It took me along time to be able to eat it again after I worked there and even now it has to be really fresh and hot.
Did you used to come home smelling like it after work too??
Old 07-09-2005, 09:57 AM   #17
Master Chef

Here you go, Tom. There are no secret herbs and spices...it's the method that makes it so good.

Mamma Connie's Fried Chickien

Cut whole chicken into individual pieces. I don't recommend pre-cut chickens because the back is included in with the breast meat, making a piece too large to fry properly.

Season chicken pieces liberally with salt and pepper. Prepare a shallow pan of flour (3-4 cups), well-seasoned with more salt and pepper. Prepare a shallow bowl of beaten eggs (about 3) thinned with milk or water to the consistancy of heavy cream.
Pour canola oil into an electric skillet to the depth of 1-1/4" and preheat to 375 degrees. When light goes off, indicating temperature has been reached, coat chicken pieces one at a time, first in flour, then in egg mixture, then in flour again, and add to hot oil.
DO NOT TURN chicken until first side is nicely browned. Then turn, and put lid on ker-slaunch-wise, so chicken will continue browning, but also steam a little. When browned on both sides, remove and let drain on paper towels.
Turn down heat and pour most of the grease out of skillet, leaving about a quarter cup and all the little brown bits in pan. Stir in about 1/2 cups of flour remaining from coating, a little at a time, till a smooth roux is formed. Slowly stir in milk (about 2-3 cups, mixture should be thin), smoothing out any lumps, then turn heat back up to 350 degrees. Cook, stirring, till gravy is of desired consistancy. Taste, re-season with salt and pepper and about 1 tsp sugar.

This chicken will be tender but not greasy, because you've cooked it at a high enough temperature and haven't turned it over and over.
Old 07-09-2005, 12:07 PM   #18
Master Chef

Constance; I agree with your technique, but not with saying that the spice/herb ingredients have little baring on the chicken. I thought that KFC chicken was marinated, or more accurately, brined. I've learned from a couple of people (in this thread) that it is not. And MSG is a large part of the flavor. And about the flavor, a big part of the KFC appeal is the crust. It is full flavored. I came close once, but didn't record the herbs and spices used, or the amounts.

Yesterday, my eldest daughter needed a ride to work. She was short on time and her husband had fixed her tater-tots seasoned with Lawreys seasoning salt and black pepper. I tasted one as we were driving to her workplace. What a great suprize I had when those humble chunks of baked spuds tasted amazingly like the crust of KFC original chicken.

My onw fried chicken is similar to your own in seasoning. It is also incredibly juicy and tender, though I cook both in the hot oil and finish in the oven. It's never greasy and is loved by all who have tried it. But it doesn't have that same explosion of flavor enjoyed in KFC chicken. My problem with the KFC is a combination of high price and how greasy it is.

I love Chester-Fried Chicken, which also uses a pressure fryer, but with fewer seasonings. And because of its location in a local supermarket, it's always more fresh, and less greasy.

Anyways, that's my two-cents.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 12:23 PM   #19
Master Chef

Goodweed, I didn't mean to imply that the extra seasoning doesn't make a difference in the taste...in fact, I have added some extra stuff from time to time. We just enjoy the taste of the juicy chicken and crispy crust without a lot of extra added flavors.
It's amazing how many people don't season their flour...that makes all the difference in the world.

Old 07-09-2005, 12:24 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
Here you go, Tom. There are no secret herbs and spices...it's the method that makes it so good...
Thanks for posting, Constance.

I watched Alton Brown fry chicken in a similar fashion, and was quite intrigued with the high points of his running monologue as to why the method produced great results.

Unfortunately, for fear of burning, I do not think I could leave the chicken alone long enough on a side for the process to work.

Tom

Tags
kfc, nutmeg