"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 07-09-2005, 12:38 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dove
I saw another one for KFC that uses instant Tomato Soup packets.
Marge
I used that one......it sucks! Just use plenty of poultry seasoning, Lawrys seasoned salt, Brown in oil and finish it up in the oven.

Old 07-09-2005, 03:48 PM   #22
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangbang
...Brown in oil and finish it up in the oven.
Interesting. I perceive part of the challenge in frying food as cooking it in hot oil from start to finish.

Tom

Old 07-09-2005, 07:20 PM   #23
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomw
Unfortunately, for fear of burning, I do not think I could leave the chicken alone long enough on a side for the process to work. Tom

Tom, that must be a man thing...my husband is the same way, although he's learning.

You can lift a piece with your tongs and take a look at it.
It also helps to put the pieces that take longest to cook in first. First the breast, then thighs, legs, backs, wings, and livers in that order. (I like the chicken backs.)
Sometimes I cut the breast in 3 pieces, making a nice succulent portion with the pulley bone, then cutting the bottom section in half. It cooks faster that way, and it's fun to have a wishbone. I also like to cut the wings into two pieces, throwing away the tip.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:58 AM   #24
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
Goodweed, I didn't mean to imply that the extra seasoning doesn't make a difference in the taste...in fact, I have added some extra stuff from time to time. We just enjoy the taste of the juicy chicken and crispy crust without a lot of extra added flavors.
It's amazing how many people don't season their flour...that makes all the difference in the world.

Constance; Thanks for clearing that up. I knew you were too good a cook to believe that flavorings were unimportant. I commend you on your technique. And your recipe did look very tasty. And like you, I believe that though the seasonings are important, the texture and juicy quality of the meat are more so. A piece of chicken baked in the over to perfection, with only a bit of salt, is far superior to chicken that has been perfectly seasone, and cooked to cardboard consistancy.

I truly enjoy fried chicken, when done properly. It's great stuff, and makes a great cold snack when there are any leftovers.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 07:21 PM   #25
Head Chef

I have made a fried chicken recipe where you par boiled the chicken pieces first then coated them in the flour etc and fried. They were really tender and you didn't burn them with long frying.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:28 AM   #26
Executive Chef

Heading for KFC now.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:19 PM   #27
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmac
Did you used to come home smelling like it after work too??
Did I!

My mother made me come in the back door which went right into the laundry room. I had to take off all my clothes and place them right into the clothes washer and wash them.

Then I had to shower to get the grease off.

But boy do I have some good stories! And I know how to make mashed potatoes for 300!
Old 07-11-2005, 12:20 PM   #28
Master Chef

I also wanted to note that I have fried BRINED chicken before and it was awesome!
Old 07-11-2005, 12:35 PM   #29
Executive Chef

frying chicken...so many great recipes. use a real fryer...a smallish bird...I am a firm believer in a seasoned buttermilk soak, double dredging in seasoned flour, and using shortening in a cast iron chicken fryer. make sure your chicken is room temp when you start frying. but truly it is a technique you learn by doing. try a "breading" of pulverized corn flakes, cayenne pepper, and parmesian cheese! woozer!
Old 07-11-2005, 05:19 PM   #30
Senior Cook

Not a heart healthy meal, but...

...nothing beats fried chicken, and appropriate (read as "fried") side items for supper.

The chicken was pressure-fried in a Wearever Chicken Bucket, whereas Grandmother Colson's dutch oven can't be beat for cooking homemade onion rings & fries.

Mac & cheese was last night's grain. But the Boyz did enjoy fresh apple slices with the repast.

Uh, BTW, the beer was used only for the onion ring batter. Really!

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ChickenBucket.JPG
Views:	273
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	220   Click image for larger version

Name:	SideItems.JPG
Views:	283
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	221  

Tags