"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 02-02-2004, 04:26 PM   #1
DC Grandma

Kentucky Fried Chicken

Kentucky Fried Chicken (Close Clone Recipe)

3 Pounds Chicken

2 Packages Italian salad dressing mix

3 Tablespoons Flour

2 Teaspoons Salt

1/4 Cup Lemon juice

1 Cup Milk

1 1/2 Cups Pancake mix

1 Teaspoon Paprika

1/2 Teaspoon Sage

1/4 Teaspoon Pepper

Make a paste out of the marinade ingredients. Coat chicken evenly. Stack chicken pieces in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight or at least for several hours. Mix pancake mix with other seasonings.

Dip pieces of chicken in milk, then in pancake coating. Dust off excess. Lightly brown in skillet with 1/2 inch vegetable oil in it. Brown for 4 minutes each side.

Remove and place in a single layer on shallow baking pan. Seal with foil. Bake for 1 hour at 350 Uncover and baste again with milk. Return, uncovered, to oven heated to 400, to crisp for 10 minutes.

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 11:39 PM   #2
Senior Cook

hi Dove,
a question--how close in taste is this recipe to the Colonel's "original recipe"? Either way, it sounds great :-)
I made some feeble attempts at duplicating the recipe awhile back, did a small amount of research, and what i found was that pressure frying had more to do with the taste than the ingredients involved (after i looked up prices of "true & safe" pressure fryers it seemed out of reach, so i quit).
I only assume that pressure-frying is the secret ingredient since i've tried MANY methods/forms of fried chicken and never come up with a texture or taste that was very close.

Wine in a box is better than no wine at all.
carnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 12:05 AM   #3
DC Grandma

Kentuckey Fried Chicken

:oops: I havent tried it yet but it is the same one I saw on a cooking show that I saw a long time ago. Someone (Jed??) asked for KFC chicken awhile back and I saw this on a Secret Recipie site.
Lets let Atomic Jed try it......... :roll: :roll:
Marge

Old 02-03-2004, 12:15 AM   #4
Senior Cook

lol Dove--does the phrase "Mikey likes it!" mean anything to you?
Atomic Jed--try it for us!!

Wine in a box is better than no wine at all.
carnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 12:17 AM   #5
DC Grandma

Kentuckey Fried Chicken

That is the thought that came to my mind when I said..let Jed try it...
Marge

Old 02-03-2004, 12:19 AM   #6
DC Grandma

Kentuckey Fried Chicken

I saw another one for KFC that uses instant Tomato Soup packets.
Marge

Old 02-03-2004, 01:38 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Thanx Marge and ALL! Dag nag it!! Ya'll beat me to my response! Give it to"Mickey" (Jimmy) AKA "Jed" Yes, pressure cooking is certainly one of the "keys" Atomic Jed! My test facility (kitchen) not the other one, is now open for further scientific research! The chicken is thawing now! (Are WE cooking with GAS! HA HA! WE ARE THE BESTIST! Warm dishes to ALL! Atomic Jed! (said)!
Old 02-03-2004, 11:44 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Wow! Thats a whompin list of ingredients, and time. While I wait for defrosting, marination, and cooking time, I'm going to the "Drive-Thru"!!! ($3.99) combo meal! Anyone have a coupon? LOL! Atomic Jed!
Old 07-07-2005, 02:12 PM   #9
Senior Cook

I revived this thread to see if anyone else had thoughts to share on the Colonel's secret blend of herbs & spices.

To that end, allow me to share what I have concluded after taste-testing a lot of "interpretations": The ultimate secret is the use of a pressure fryer. I have three of various sizes, two of which are actually rated to pressure fry. :

One may enjoy the use of italian salad mix or dry tomato soup in baked chicken, but I found both brought their own unique flavors to the recipe while not approaching the KFC's unique taste.

Unfortunately, adding significantly more salt than one or two teaspoons per two cups flour does make a difference. MSG (as called out in many versions) would probably help, but that stuff literally gives me the jitters.

One story has it that Harland Sanders lifted his recipe from a neighbor named Eula Gordon. That recipe had promise, but it is either folk lore, or the Colonel ended up lopping out most of the tremendous amount of paprika specified by Ms. Gordon.

So far, my best recipe for pressure fried chicken coating incorporates a lot of salt & pepper, some various spices, and 5th Seasons Poultry Seasoning. Walmart used to sell the blend but stopped for whatever reason. And yes, it was this specific brand. Other brands made the mix taste quite different.

Being somewhat obsessive about little things like what is in a given blend of poultry seasoning, I scowered the Internet collecting everyone's recipe for poultry seasoning. Comparing the recipes, I could draw no conclusion as to what set 5th Seasons apart from the rest.

So now there are two culinary mysteries - What is KFC's recipe, and what is 5th Seasons' recipe.

Anyone else care to share interpretive KFC recipes?

Tom
Old 07-07-2005, 02:26 PM   #10
Master Chef

Make sure NEVER to use oil in a pressure cooker unless it is specifially designed to pressure fry!!

When I worked at KFC ( it was my first job), the "secret seasonings" were added to flour. The chicken (which was not marinated) was floured, placed on sheet pans and then a stack of sheet pans were wheeled into the fryer, which was the size of a large refrigerator.

I can tell you that MSG does play an important role in the authentic taste.

Tags
kfc, nutmeg