Leftover roast chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Someone suggested I use the leftover roast chicken to make taco truck tacos. I had to google it to find out what they are. Basically they are tacos using a soft tortilla that is grilled instead of a hard taco shell.

I am looking for something new to do with 1/2 a leftover roast chicken. I also have a quantity of mashed potatoes and lots of fresh veggies etc. I'm sick to death of pot pie mixtures and soups. Anyone have a good idea to convert these things into something yummy? Oh, I also have a large quantity of a chicken/flour gravy.

1. Shred that chicken and put in a pan with peppers, a pinch of cilantro, chopped onion, and a bit of sliced tomato. Add a tbs. of Sriracha Sauce and heat until the onion and peppers are softened. place in flour tortillas and top with refried beans and your favorite salsa.

2. Shred chicken and mix with grated cheddar or jack cheese. Place in puffs made from choux paste. Serve with gravy.

3. Shred and combine with salad dressing, finely chopped celery and finely diced onion. Add a bit of your favorite mustard and serve on good bread with sliced tomato and crisp bacon.

4. Dice chicken and add to diced potato and carrot. Stir fry in a little butter and serve like corned beef hash.

5. Make a bechemel sauce; add grated parmesan cheese and stir over low heat until silky smooth. Add chopped chicken and serve with noodles.

6. For the mashed potatoes, add a raw egg and stir in well. Add chopped onion and garlic. Make into patties the size of hamburger patties and lightly fry in butter until lightly browned on each side. Serve with your favorite eggs for breakfast.

There are a few ideas for you. Hope they help.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

2. Shred chicken and mix with grated cheddar or jack cheese. Place in puffs made from choux paste. Serve with gravy.

GW I can always count on you!!!! This sound s like a real winner, something I would never have thought of. Thanks a million.

You're very, very welcome. Say hi to Joe and your DH for me.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Ok, how about Bubble and Squeak?

1 tbsp olive oil
1.25kg /2lb 12oz potatoes, peeled, boiled, mashed and left to cool
Leftover cooked cabbage, Brussels sprouts, carrots, squash etc
sea salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper

Mash potato and left over veggies together in a bowl. Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Heat the olive oil in the frying pan. Place four 7.5cm/3in chefs' rings into the pan and spoon the bubble and squeak into the rings.
Fry until golden-brown on the bottom, turn the rings over carefully and cook on the other side. Remove from the pan and serve. Great with cold meats and fried egg.

Someone suggested I use the leftover roast chicken to make taco truck tacos. I had to google it to find out what they are. Basically they are tacos using a soft tortilla that is grilled instead of a hard taco shell.

Would these be similar to Fajita's then?

Would these be similar to Fajita's then?

Ok. I have to weigh in here. In Spanish, fajita is a form of the word faja which translates to "belt" or "girdle" in English. Fajitas are made from beef skirt steak. And as is often the case, the word has been adapted to mean spiced meat, cut into chunks after being seasoned with marinade or herbs and spices, or both. These are quickly fried in a hot pan and placed into a folded tortilla with various veggies. But to make authentic fajitas, you have to use skirt steak.

Ok. I have to weigh in here. In Spanish, fajita is a form of the word faja which translates to "belt" or "girdle" in English. Fajitas are made from beef skirt steak. And as is often the case, the word has been adapted to mean spiced meat, cut into chunks after being seasoned with marinade or herbs and spices, or both. These are quickly fried in a hot pan and placed into a folded tortilla with various veggies. But to make authentic fajitas, you have to use skirt steak.

Oh I didn't realise that - thanks, I'm sure I'll find someone to impart my new found knowledge onto. :)

Over the years, I have tried nearly every way imaginable to use leftovers, but, my one TNT GUARANTEE for leftover chicken that ALWAYS gets scarfed up, is simply to make chicken salad. Its like it has magical powers or something - they can't eat it quick enough. If I just make a batch of chicken salad to have on hand,...it just sits there, &, trust me...there 'aint NO WAY of doing ANYTHING w/leftover chicken salad!! LOL

Over the years, I have tried nearly every way imaginable to use leftovers, but, my one TNT GUARANTEE for leftover chicken that ALWAYS gets scarfed up, is simply to make chicken salad. Its like it has magical powers or something - they can't eat it quick enough. If I just make a batch of chicken salad to have on hand,...it just sits there, &, trust me...there 'aint NO WAY of doing ANYTHING w/leftover chicken salad!! LOL
Totally agree on the baked chicken salad. I make it with mayo, onion, dijon, tarragon, and whatever else strikes me at the moment.

Not sure if I mentioned it before but bubble ans squeak, I'm mad for it at the moment, just mash inbto cakes and fry in butter your left over veggies.

Back
Top Bottom