Leftover roast chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joesfolk

Head Chef
I am looking for something new to do with 1/2 a leftover roast chicken. I also have a quantity of mashed potatoes and lots of fresh veggies etc. I'm sick to death of pot pie mixtures and soups. Anyone have a good idea to convert these things into something yummy? Oh, I also have a large quantity of a chicken/flour gravy.

I am looking for something new to do with 1/2 a leftover roast chicken. I also have a quantity of mashed potatoes and lots of fresh veggies etc. I'm sick to death of pot pie mixtures and soups. Anyone have a good idea to convert these things into something yummy? Oh, I also have a large quantity of a chicken/flour gravy.

Put it all in the freezer and take something else out. When you come across (or remember) it, you'll be happy to have a pot pie or shepard's pie already almost made. You'll appreciate the nice surprise.

Put it all in the freezer and take something else out. When you come across (or remember) it, you'll be happy to have a pot pie or shepard's pie already almost made. You'll appreciate the nice surprise.

I think this is a great idea!

Thank you, Andy.

This is what I do when I'm starting to get tired of something good. Get it in that freezer while it's good. It's great when you find it later and you want something quick that you know is already delicious to start with.

The freezer is a great idea except that at the moment ours is fairly bursting it's so full. Any other ideas out there?

Oh, Kayelle, I just tried that link. Fajitas sound good and so does that chicken salad with nuts and fruit. Thanks guys.

Last edited:
If you want to use the chicken, potato, veggies and gravy in the same meal, there isn't much room for creativity beyond what you have already rejected.

There are a number of things you could do with the chicken alone. Quesadillas, tacos. calzones, sandwiches, shredded with BBQ sauce for a pulled chicken, Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo, chicken, ziti and broccoli, etc.

Where do you live? At the moment, outside is one big freezer for me. I currently have a giant pot of soup and some bags of ham and pot roast outside. (The dog can't get at them either)

Where do you live? At the moment, outside is one big freezer for me. I currently have a giant pot of soup and some bags of ham and pot roast outside. (The dog can't get at them either)

That's ingenuity! Use the resources you have.

you never have to use all parts of a leftover meal. Potatoes can become potato pancakes or topping for shepherds pie made with beef or lamb. Gravy can be frozen until you want it for another dinner or pot pie etc. The meat can become sandwiches or as you said, fajitas, salad, etc. enjoy!

Thanks guys. I live in Michigan. I often use the grill as a winter freezer.

To give it a totally new twist, use it in a stir-fry or curry. Or buy some rice noodles or bean threads, cook or soak according to directions, then add lots of veggies of your choice (I like spinach, julienned zuchini, carrots, and green onions), top with an Asian sauce of your choice (I could come up with a recipe, but there are so many on the market that are great, especially if you like peanuts and can eat them). Quickly stir fry and you're in business.

Great the chicken. Add an eggg and a bit of flour to mashed potato. Take some mashed potato mixture, flatten it in the palm of your hand put a spoonful of meat fold forming pirogy look a like. Fry on both sides. Yum.

Roadfix, I had to Google the taco truck tacos. We just got a taco truck here last summer and i never had a chance to try it. Of course it's too cold for taco trucks in the winter but maybe they willb eback next summer. For those as ignorant as I, the taco truck tacos are made with a soft taco shell lightly grilled.

It's not often enough were blessed with leftover roasted chicken. Or anything for that matter. The boys always find it. :LOL:

Sometimes I just get lucky. And de fat the whole thing chop it up and make Paninini's with it. Sub sammiches, toasted or not. Different veggie topping and sauces, cheese. It doesn't always have to be plain mayo. Basil mayo is nice. Sun dried tomato.
Salads with Caesar dressing. Getting hungry now.

If it's just the breasts. I shred them. Add some mayo, dash of salt and pepper. Use them on crackers.

Munky.

We always do taco truck tacos with left over meat.

Mmm. What exactly is that? I'm always looking for leftover recipes.:chef:

I see joesfolk's post about the soft tortillas, and I love the pirogi twist from Charlie D.

Expound a bit you guys. Details please.

Seasoning leftover meat,
Soft tortillas - stuffed with?
Charlie: Can you tell me what texture to get. I really want to try pirogis again. I learned to make them from my ex's grandmother. I loved them but it was career time of my life. I have the time and some of the energy now, but I really like your potato, pancake type idea. I've never been able to make a potato pancake I liked, but I know how good they can taste.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom