"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 12-27-2010, 10:30 AM   #1
Head Chef

Leftover roast chicken

I am looking for something new to do with 1/2 a leftover roast chicken. I also have a quantity of mashed potatoes and lots of fresh veggies etc. I'm sick to death of pot pie mixtures and soups. Anyone have a good idea to convert these things into something yummy? Oh, I also have a large quantity of a chicken/flour gravy.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:42 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
I am looking for something new to do with 1/2 a leftover roast chicken. I also have a quantity of mashed potatoes and lots of fresh veggies etc. I'm sick to death of pot pie mixtures and soups. Anyone have a good idea to convert these things into something yummy? Oh, I also have a large quantity of a chicken/flour gravy.
Put it all in the freezer and take something else out. When you come across (or remember) it, you'll be happy to have a pot pie or shepard's pie already almost made. You'll appreciate the nice surprise.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:46 AM   #3
Master Chef

Here's a thread with lots of ideas, joesfolk.........

Leftover Roasted Chicken

Hmm, don't know why that link isn't working.....can a mod help please?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:02 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Put it all in the freezer and take something else out. When you come across (or remember) it, you'll be happy to have a pot pie or shepard's pie already almost made. You'll appreciate the nice surprise.

I think this is a great idea!
Old 12-27-2010, 12:09 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Thank you, Andy.

This is what I do when I'm starting to get tired of something good. Get it in that freezer while it's good. It's great when you find it later and you want something quick that you know is already delicious to start with.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:15 PM   #6
Head Chef

The freezer is a great idea except that at the moment ours is fairly bursting it's so full. Any other ideas out there?

Oh, Kayelle, I just tried that link. Fajitas sound good and so does that chicken salad with nuts and fruit. Thanks guys.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:19 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

If you want to use the chicken, potato, veggies and gravy in the same meal, there isn't much room for creativity beyond what you have already rejected.

There are a number of things you could do with the chicken alone. Quesadillas, tacos. calzones, sandwiches, shredded with BBQ sauce for a pulled chicken, Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo, chicken, ziti and broccoli, etc.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:20 PM   #8
Everymom

Where do you live? At the moment, outside is one big freezer for me. I currently have a giant pot of soup and some bags of ham and pot roast outside. (The dog can't get at them either)
Old 12-27-2010, 12:22 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Where do you live? At the moment, outside is one big freezer for me. I currently have a giant pot of soup and some bags of ham and pot roast outside. (The dog can't get at them either)
That's ingenuity! Use the resources you have.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:25 PM   #10
Executive Chef

you never have to use all parts of a leftover meal. Potatoes can become potato pancakes or topping for shepherds pie made with beef or lamb. Gravy can be frozen until you want it for another dinner or pot pie etc. The meat can become sandwiches or as you said, fajitas, salad, etc. enjoy!

Tags
chicken