Leftover Turkey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I too can't determine if this thread is about Wild Rice, Wild Turkey whiskey or about Leftover Turkey, or Leftovers in General. Since I have none of the above. I will have to Create my own. It's one of the disadvantages of eating with the In-laws on Thanksgiving. No Leftovers sent home. No big deal. My BIL did Slip me a good size jar of Gravy. Betcha thought I was gonna say a pint jar of the Good Stuff Imported from Kentucky. ;)

I went to the store early this am and picked up a fresh turkey breast, on sale, and I will grill that tomorrow ( too busy today), using some apple wood chips I have, so it might take on a little smoke. And A new batch of cranberry sauce and some crock pot stuffing with sausage, apples, onion, sage, & a little fresh rosemary etc.

I'll ask me DxW if she wants to come for dinner tomorrow night, or if she wants me to bring all the plastic bowls of leftovers for Sandwich Makings to her place Sunday and we can have an in-door picnic while watching Football.

Or Both. Now That's How Leftovers are supposed to be--There's Plenty.:cool:

Sounds good. I made a wild one a number of years ago, and realized why man domesticated the turkey. It was dry and tough. If I were to do it again I'd not use my normal years-old methods. More fat, more moisture. But I have to say it made great leftovers for soups, stews, most importantly cassoulet. If I do it again, I'll approach it differently.

Seems to me that I remember a story about you, a Three wild turkeys, and a wisecracking husband.;)

Ah, but Claire, it was only a story. You , on the other hand, are a legend:ohmy:.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I think I"m just going to make a turkey pot pie. Maybe some sandwiches too. I got the left over turkey in the refrigerator so I have to do something with it this weekend. The bone and some of the meat sticking to the bone is in the freezer. I might make a broth with it in the future.

I've also done a layered casserole of ( from the bottom up) turkey, stuffing,scalloped corn, green beans, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, poked holes in it and poured gravy over all. Baked. And it freezes well, Thanksgiving in July!

I've also done a layered casserole of ( from the bottom up) turkey, stuffing,scalloped corn, green beans, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, poked holes in it and poured gravy over all. Baked. And it freezes well, Thanksgiving in July!
Oh--you can bring that to LOW!

The Lundberg's wild rice is a blend of several brown rices as well as the wild. Unfortunately, although the rice came out just right, the cheap turkey I bought didn't.

Next year I'll buy a Butterball turkey and d**m the price.

I'm changing the title. I thought of a play on Wild Turkey whiskey, but realized later, it would sound like wild turkey the bird.

I bought a cheap turkey this year, too. I checked the temp an hour before it was supposed to be done...lucky thing. It was almost done and only took another twenty minutes. Came out perfect. The cheaper ones have water added, I think, and cook faster. If you go by time rather than temperature, they're bound to be dry. Since there was none left over, I will probably go to the market today and buy another, even cheaper right after Thanksgiving priced turkey.

I did go by temperature - 165°. I kept the bird covered completely, including the roasting pan until the last 1/2 hour. It was tough last year too. I hesitate to brine because I have very high blood pressure.

Fortunately, I can cook the leftovers in stock or gravy until it's tender.

I do several turkeys a year...soup sandwiches, divan, enchiladas, you name it...why not?!
Exactly, why not? We stock up at Thanksgiving and Christmas. We don't roast turkeys in the summer months, but October to April, we typically roast a turkey a month--why not? We don't always stuff them.

I made my turkey pot pie's today. I have a 7 bone steak that i'll cook up with the left over cranberry sauce and a packet of onion soup mix in the crock pot. I always love how they come out that way. So much automatic juice/gravy at the end of the day too. Mashed and Stuffing will be good sides with all that juice from the 7 bone steak.

I cooked my 26 lb UNSTUFFED turkey on 400F convection roast for first half hour then down to 350F convection roast - foil covered for 2.5 hours then uncovered till finished cooking, no basting and it was perfectly done and beautifully brown in 3.5 hours.

Yesterday I made a turkey potato chowder. It was good and easy. Today to finish off the LOs we had turkey spaghetti which was also easy to make since I had sauce in the freezer.

I froze my LO turkey/stuffing/gravy/cranberry casserole. Left one portion for DH in the fridge. He's not quite as sick of it yet.

Google left over turkey biryani, for me the best trick is to rehydrate the cubed turkey before reheating. I steam it for 5 mins or so, it plumps up with absorbed moisture.:yum:

Around here, all the sandwich shops now are offering Holiday sandwiches. They are basically subs with turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce and topped with turkey gravy. And to think I always thought of that as an 'open-face' sandwich.

My family has always only eaten the meat on the turkey legs. So the next day the whole turkey except the legs went into the stew pot. When the meat was falling off the carcass, the stock got drained and saved. I picked off all the meat, diced it really small, tossed it back into the stock along with everything else from the main meal and made turkey soup. The mashed potatoes and stuffing helped make the broth thick like gravy. Kids had no idea they were getting the white meat that they hated. Or even leftovers. The leg meat was for sandwiches.

Last edited:
What about turkey egg rolls. I make my egg rolls with coarsely diced water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, chopped onion, garlic, bok choy, and bean sprouts, all seasoned with soy sauce, 5-spice powder, ginger, and garlic powder. The mixture works very well with diced chicken, diced pork, shrimp, & scallops. I would think that it woould work great with left-over turkey as well.

Serve with pineapple sweet & sour sauce.

Just a thought, and a different way to use up the turkey left-overs.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom