"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 11-23-2011, 10:38 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Leftover Turkey

Since I already made my turkey (couldn't wait), I'm making the first of my planned leftover dishes.

1 C wild rice (Lundberg's)
2 C giblet stock (salted)
Giblet meat from stock
1 turkey thigh, stripped and chopped
1/4 package frozen mixed vegetables
1/8 tsp. poultry seasoning

Bring to a boil, cover and simmer 50 minutes. Let stand off the burner, covered another 10 minutes.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 04:14 PM   #2
Master Chef

Sounds good. I made a wild one a number of years ago, and realized why man domesticated the turkey. It was dry and tough. If I were to do it again I'd not use my normal years-old methods. More fat, more moisture. But I have to say it made great leftovers for soups, stews, most importantly cassoulet. If I do it again, I'll approach it differently.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:11 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Well, shucks.....I thought this was going to be about bourbon.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:22 PM   #4
Master Chef

@ Hoot.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:16 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

When I saw the subject line, I thought you had made a wild turkey! I keep trying to hit one on the road <g>. Being that I grew up eating wild rice instead of potatoes, I do feel that I am somewhat of an expert when it comes to wild rice. I also have gone out and harvested it. I would suggest that you do 3:1 re: wild rice to brown or white rice, add some barley and lentils. It makes for a very nice blend. Wash the wild rice (if it is natural, not cultivated--cultivated doesn't pop--I still wash it, but I give that to friends, because I only use natural, not cultivated wild rice). Real wild rice "curls" when it pops and it takes 55 minutes (or more) after the water comes to a boil and you put the rice in and reduce the heat to low and cover it, cultivated doesn't pop at all--I've tried to get it to pop, I've never been successful and no longer try. Perhaps cultivated is prettier, but it isn't real wild rice. I've probably have cooked at least 200 lb of wild rice in my lifetime. You can also roast the wild rice in the oven before boiling it. I'm ducking arrows from those who will disagree with me!
Old 11-24-2011, 09:11 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

The Lundberg's wild rice is a blend of several brown rices as well as the wild. Unfortunately, although the rice came out just right, the cheap turkey I bought didn't.

Next year I'll buy a Butterball turkey and d**m the price.

I'm changing the title. I thought of a play on Wild Turkey whiskey, but realized later, it would sound like wild turkey the bird.

Old 11-24-2011, 11:03 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Ah--got it! Didn't recognize Lundberg's brand and didn't realize it was a blend. Is the wild rice in the Lundberg's blend cultivated (in other words, dark, dark brown and it doesn't pop when cooked)?
Old 11-24-2011, 01:09 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Yes, very dark and doesn't pop.

Old 11-24-2011, 01:16 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Yes, very dark and doesn't pop.
Ah, that's cultivated wild rice. It doesn't have the same texture (or taste, IMO) when cooked. Did you cook the rest of the turkey or did you just buy the thighs? I often cook "utility" turkeys (I hate turkeys that have stuff added). I've never had one that was tough...odd.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:25 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I cooked a whole turkey, 13.7#. This morning, I took the other thigh and boiled in water with a couple of celery stalks and salt. I stripped the meat and cut into a fine dice. It seems like it will be much more tender. I got another 3 cup container of broth, plus a 2 cup container with broth and the meat. I just put it in the fridge. I've got to make some more room in the freezer.

The breast meat made a great turkey sandwich, so I probably won't have a problem with the white meat. I took a portion out to thaw and make a turkey salad with some of the tender inner celery.

I bought an extra loaf of bread and another celery package and made 2 batches of sausage stuffing in my little casserole dish. That came out heavenly and the house smells like Thanksgiving.

I changed the title again to Leftover Turkey, so others can post their leftovers ideas. I've got a lot of turkey so I'll see if I can glean a few new ideas.

Tags
recipe, turkey, wild rice

Leftover Turkey Since I already made my turkey (couldn't wait), I'm making the first of my planned leftover dishes. 1 C wild rice (Lundberg's) 2 C giblet stock (salted) Giblet meat from stock 1 turkey thigh, stripped and chopped 1/4 package frozen mixed vegetables 1/8 tsp. poultry seasoning Bring to a boil, cover and simmer 50 minutes. Let stand off the burner, covered another 10 minutes.:chef: 3 stars 1 reviews