Lemon Roast Chicken - Greek-style

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boufa06

Executive Chef
Here is another dish which I contributed to a wine and dine magazine years ago under its casserole dishes category. If you do not have a casserole, you can bake it in a deep pan. This lemony and light dish is by far the simplest and easiest of all Greek dishes to prepare.

KOTOPOULO LEMONATO (Lemon Roast Chicken)

Serves: 4 Preparation: 10 min + 30 min marination Cooking: 1 hr

Ingredients:
1 medium-size chicken, about 1.8kg, thoroughly cleaned
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp pepper
1 tbsp oregano
6 potatoes, peeled and halved
Juice of 2 lemons
80ml (1/3 cup) olive oil
1 cup water

Method:
1. Marinate chicken with salt, pepper and oregano for at least 30 minutes.

2. Place chicken in a casserole. Spread potatoes around the chicken and pour lemon juice, olive oil and water over all.

3. Bake casserole, covered in a preheated oven at 200 degrees C/400 degrees F for 1 hour. Half an hour into cooking, uncover casserole. When chicken is browned on top, after about 15-20 minutes, turn over and continue baking uncovered till browned on other side and cooked through.

Note: For well-cooked potatoes, ensure that they are fully immersed in the sauce. However, if the potatoes are still half-cooked when the chicken is done, remove the chicken from the casserole and set aside, and continue cooking the potatoes in the oven, covered. Add water if necessary.

Last edited:
Boufa06,

It looks fantastic. I had a dish similiar to this when I lived on Crete, near Chania. My landlord used to make this dish quite often.
Mark

I'll be gone all day on Wednesday and have company that night so I think I'll take the skin off the chicken and put the dinner in the crockpot. This recipe sounds homey and yummy.

I'll definetely give this one a try. I've always paired mine with lemon and rosemary so i can't wait to taste it with the oregano. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom