"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2016, 03:18 AM   #131
Sous Chef

I hear always about spatchcocking this and that. I always thought it was more a technique for bony small fowl, like guinea hens and pheasant?

And I can see also spatchcocking a chicken.

So the technique basically gives more surface area, and heats it up quicker.

I'd say this is a good solution to the problem with roasting a whole bird, without geting dry meat.

How to Cook a Spatchcocked Turkey: The Fastest, Easiest Thanksgiving Turkey | Serious Eats

I think that is one of the recipes I was considering for a spatchcock turkey? And good representative of them, not in particular but of general goals.

This year I had a big enough turkey, I don't think I could get it in the oven like that.

https://goo.gl/photos/b8W4MrakHCC5VD8z7

As it is, I lost a little meat on the drumsticks, to keep the breast meat moist, had after the first 30 minutes, foil on that.

Got a crispy skin, it took me forever to get the temperature up internal. and had to hold the temp down on the breast with a foil shield.

I am glad I didn't stuff the turkey, I would have lost control over the heating, and ended up with a dry bird, and undone stuffing, worst possible scenario.

Ended up losely stuffing the bird with aromatics, lemons, herbs and garlic, very loose.

Result was a crispy skin, and good moist white and dark meat.

Was a lot of effort, with a smaller bird, it would not be worth it, and I'd say, 10-15 pound bird, spatchcock is the way to go. Get larger than that, and you have to roast it I think.

Agree or disagree?

Interested to hear your ideas.

TBS

Old 11-26-2016, 06:28 AM   #132
Executive Chef

My friend had a huge bird, over 24 lbs. I told her I had spatchcocked a chicken and a duck but never a turkey. She wanted to try it with this monster.
She was pleased to have the backbone to cook along with the neck, etc. She also took off the wing tips. Trouble was, spread out it was far too big for any pan.
I suggested she split it down the middle of the chest and use two pans and two oven shelves. It worked! I also suggested she rotate them from shelf to shelf to ensure even cooking. I have not heard back to hear what the end result was but during the process I was told so far it looked and smelled wonderful. - I have no worries! I think I would have heard had it been a disaster

Old 11-26-2016, 01:16 PM   #133
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
.............I didn't want to deal with a whole bird, so we bought a 4lb. Butterball net wrapped boneless turkey roast, and four thighs. We did the roast in one cooking bag, and the thighs in another. It worked out great that I could remove the breast from the oven, and give the thighs a longer cooking time to 180. Those cooking bags certainly produce juicy turkey !
That's what I'm going to do next Thanksgiving, Kay - just buy a few 'parts'. Certainly would be a lot easier for me these days than wrestling with a whole bird, plus leftover storage and all, even after I give a good part of it away.

I agree with you about the cooking bags. I've had no trouble getting a nicely browned crust on the birds by using the bags, either.
Old 11-26-2016, 07:29 PM   #134
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
That's what I'm going to do next Thanksgiving, Kay - just buy a few 'parts'. Certainly would be a lot easier for me these days than wrestling with a whole bird, plus leftover storage and all, even after I give a good part of it away.

I agree with you about the cooking bags. I've had no trouble getting a nicely browned crust on the birds by using the bags, either.
Thanks Cheryl, we were really pleased with the results, with both the parts being cooked to the perfect temp. I learned here a long time ago (Andy) that the luscious thigh meat is a much better texture when cooked to 180 degrees, rather than "just safe" at 165. I'll sure do it again.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 12:57 PM   #135
Sous Chef

Mine was 19#, and I would have had to do it in parts if I spatchcocked it. I agree it sounds like a reasonable solution.

We only had four people at our meal, myself, Beloved Rachel, Mom, and Father in Law.

Today's effort is in using all the leftovers. Worked hard Friday and Saturday, taking the time today to step back, make a stock from the carcass, do some canning, that kind of thing.

Hoping for a nice Turkey pot pie tonight, can the rest of the meat leftovers with stock in quart jars, and hoping for a bunch of jars of stock.

TBS

Tags
other, turkey