"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2016, 12:37 PM   #21
Head Chef

Super Juicy Turkey Baked In Cheesecloth And White Wine | Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch this way is how I crisp skins and it always,

Old 11-01-2016, 12:43 PM   #22
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by erehweslefox View Post
My main worry is that my turkey is too lean, I think I am going to brine it 12 hours, and add some melted butter to the brine, rather than basting, inject that right into the meat. I have a hypodermic injector meat thing rig.TBS
You might add butter to the injection, but I've never seen any added to a brine? I would think the butter would solidify when you put the turkey in the fridge. For smoking, you usually do one or the other. I brine my turkey for smoking. Some pure maple syrup goes in the brine and I make a finishing glaze with it also.

Old 11-01-2016, 12:47 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Yeah, Dragnlaw, I think I will do it breast down, and use a aluminium foil shield.

Got Garlic, I have to disagree, and this is I guess a reason we have forums, I don't like a crispy skin. I kind of find the skin icky, and try for an overall moist bird.

I absolutely understand the crisp skin goals for a turkey. I go a different way.

My main worry is that my turkey is too lean, I think I am going to brine it 12 hours, and add some melted butter to the brine, rather than basting, inject that right into the meat. I have a hypodermic injector meat thing rig.

I'm just worried that this free range fresh turkey will not have enough fat in it. I think I am just being dumb, and should trust the bird.
That's fine - it's a matter of taste. I love crispy skin If you have different goals, then by all means use a different method.

The foil will prevent the skin from browning too fast, but again, it won't keep moisture in the meat. It doesn't work that way.

Melted butter in the brine? Why? Fat and water don't mix without some kind of emulsifier; it will just float to the top and solidify when it's refrigerated.

To avoid dry meat, just avoid overcooking.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:51 PM   #24
Master Chef

For those that have a hard time determining when the turkey is done, a simple solution is to add raw popcorn to your stuffing!
Old 11-01-2016, 01:23 PM   #25
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
To avoid dry meat, just avoid overcooking.
I think that is the solution. My thing is I am trying to find tricks to prevent that, and overall, better just to keep an eye on the cooking and not overdo it, sounds good.

TBS
Old 11-01-2016, 01:25 PM   #26
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Some pure maple syrup goes in the brine and I make a finishing glaze with it also.
I am from Vermont, and never ever dissuade maple syrup in a recipe.

Brine and glaze, I approve
Old 11-01-2016, 01:37 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I think that is the solution. My thing is I am trying to find tricks to prevent that, and overall, better just to keep an eye on the cooking and not overdo it, sounds good.

TBS
An instant read thermometer is the best tool to help prevent overcooking. Take it out when it's about 10 degrees below your target temperature. Carry-over cooking will take it the rest of the way.
Old 11-01-2016, 01:59 PM   #28
Executive Chef

free-range

I raised my own turkeys for a couple of years (and chickens). I would not worry about them being too lean. Mine were free range, meaning they had a large pen to run around in - they were closed up every night (raccoons & coyotes).

I never did butcher my own turkeys, just the chickens usually. One year when picking up the dressed turkeys the guy asked me if they were free-range.

Evidently a couple had gotten out of their cage and he had a heck of a time rounding them up. His comment was that they were "very athletic".

Meat on fowl is not marbled. The fat is strictly between the skin and muscle. You can always add extra under the skin if you are really worried. It is common practice with store bought chickens.
Old 11-01-2016, 03:36 PM   #29
Master Chef

Hi, Fox. I'm glad you started this thread, it's definitely not too early to start thinking about Thanksgiving dinner. You've been given some very good advice here!

I've already started using up fridge leftovers, re-arranging, and making plenty of space in the fridge for new Thanksgiving leftovers. Nothing worse than trying to jam all those lovely leftovers in an already crowded fridge.

Just to add a few more tips I've learned over the decades - take your turkey out of the fridge at least a couple of hours ahead of roasting, to help take the chill off. Also, make as many of your sides as you can a day or two ahead of time. Mashed potatoes and stuffing will be fine in the fridge for a couple of days, just stirred up, re-checked for seasoning, and reheated the day of your dinner. Veggies can be prepped ahead of time, pickle and olive trays assembled and refrigerated....and as for gravy, there is almost never enough for my family so I almost always buy a couple of turkey wings a few days before and roast them for extra make ahead gravy.

I have limited counter space, so I make sure I have a sink full of hot soapy water to clean as I go, and make sure the dishwasher is completely empty Thanksgiving day. With a little planning and forethought, it IS possible to get Thanksgiving dinner on the table (or set it up on the countertops as a buffet type meal) with little to no dirty dishes cluttering up space. For me, that takes a tremendous amount of stress off and I can concentrate on the turkey and visit with family.

And speaking of stress...above all, just do the best you can with your bird, make no apologies, and enjoy the day with family and friends. That's really what it's all about.
Old 11-01-2016, 03:55 PM   #30
Master Chef

Oh, and as far as flipping the turkey - I never do that, I think it's dangerous. My grandmothers never did, and I guess I've adopted their methods as my standard. The way it goes into the oven is the way it comes out. I don't baste, either. Every time the oven door is opened, heat is lost and it just takes longer to get back up to temp. Plus, I like crispy skin. JMO.

Tags
other, turkey