"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 08-29-2006, 03:25 AM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
i've been thinking of using ishbel's trick of planting it between slate steps in a garden walk. it would smell fantastic as you'd mash it a little with each step. (and my sneakers wouldn't stink ).
You should definitely plant it (and any other durable herbs) this way. You are right, the smell is gorgeous and it looks great too!

The recipe sounds great!

Old 08-30-2006, 01:38 AM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
i've been thinking of using ishbel's trick of planting it between slate steps in a garden walk. it would smell fantastic as you'd mash it a little with each step. (and my sneakers wouldn't stink ).
My mom has it planted all over her yard. It makes a great ground cover and doesn't seem to mind a little trampling here and there.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 02:46 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
mish, if you try the tequila, let me know how it comes out.

i got tequila-lime marinated out a while ago using it on fish skewers on the grill. i might be tempted again. btw, what tequila would you use?
The tequila-lime marinated fish sounds to die for. What kind of fish did you use. (Cooking wheels turning - bet salmon or shrimp would be heaven.) What did you make for sides?

Re the tequila, how about airliners I haven't had tequila since a bad experience at a club, when shooters were sent to our table, during a 15-minute special So, I don't go out and buy a big bottle. I have looked at a few recipes calling for gold - cuerva (sp?) I have considered attempting a copy-cat version of California Kitchen's Tequila Lime chicken. I like your version because it's a piccata, much lighter and sounds very tasty. Thanks for sharing.

BTW, what do you do with the worm (shudder, lol)?
Old 08-30-2006, 02:57 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mish
Re the tequila, how about airliners I haven't had tequila since a bad experience at a club, when shooters were sent to our table, during a 15-minute special So, I don't go out and buy a big bottle. I have looked at a few recipes calling for gold - cuerva (sp?) I have considered attempting a copy-cat version of California Kitchen's Tequila Lime chicken. I like your version because it's a piccata, much lighter and sounds very tasty. Thanks for sharing.

BTW, what do you do with the worm (shudder, lol)?
Yep, Cuevo (or some other middle of the road brand) would be a good choice for cooking. It's good enough to cook with, but no so good that you'd feel bad about using $65 a bottle tequila in anything but a brandy snifter.

And Mish, no worries about the worm - that's usually only in Mezcal, not tequila!

John

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 03:04 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjohn55
Yep, Cuevo (or some other middle of the road brand) would be a good choice for cooking. It's good enough to cook with, but no so good that you'd feel bad about using $65 a bottle tequila in anything but a brandy snifter.

And Mish, no worries about the worm - that's usually only in Mezcal, not tequila!

John
Thank you, John. I hear ya about spending big bucks for alcohol in a recipe. As you can see, I'm not familiar with brands particularly T. I would like to give it a go, and good to know there won't be a worm. Go for the Airliners
Old 09-26-2006, 10:49 AM   #16
Head Chef

Buckytom, I made this last night. It got raves.
Thanks
Old 09-27-2006, 12:21 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Okay, this might seem like a stupid question (I'm extremely good at asking this kind), but in the directions it says to "pour the reduced stock and thyme into a cup, place the chicken back in the pan and pour the stock/thyme reduction back over the chicken". What's the reason for this? Why not just dunk the chicken in the reduction instead of the other way 'round? I'm assuming there is a reason, and I just can't figure it out, but I am willing to learn as I'm trying to get back into the kitchen and cook more than eat take-out all the time, and this sounds/reads delicious. Thanks.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:38 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

not a stupid question at all ff.

you could do it the way you mentioned, i'm sure. i like to pour the deglazing liquid over the chicken to help it coat well, and also i can control the amount of liquid relative to the chicken that way. you don't want it too soupy, or too thick or dry. i tend to go on the thicker side, and add just a little remaining stock near the end to get the sauce just right.

oh, you're welcome lyndalou. i'm glad you enjoyed it. the lime and thyme just slightly sets it apart from regular ol' chicken piccata.

mish, sorry i mished your question. ?;>)
i usually make a starch like roasted or nuked potatoes, and often a salad. since it was summertime, i made a cuke, tomato, and onion salad.

Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
None