Looking for Chicken Stew and Dumplings Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is my take on Chicken and dumplings:

Start with a rotisserie chicken. I put the back, wing tips and bones in a pot with water and salt and simmered for an hour. Put stock and bones in fridge overnight. Next day I added all the bones to a soup "sock" (cheese cloth bags I got on Amazon. I love these) with 2 fresh bone in chicken breasts, celery, carrot and onion in soup sock and tied a knot in the end. Placed the soup sock in the pot with the strained stock I made the night before and simmered it for an hour.

img_1415345_0_0ff912645e1f0f9a30ddec909cfcfca9.jpg

img_1415345_1_cb8f1fb43cc3474c0b030ae2b1208342.jpg

Then remove "sock". throw away veggies and bones, shred chicken breasts. Add fresh veggies of choice to stock and simmer till tender, add the chicken back to pot. Cook drop dumplings* on top and simmer till dumplings are cooked. I didn't thicken.

*I added dry parsley, poultry seasoning, salt, ground pepper and chicken bouillon to the dumpling mix.

Chicken and dumplings served.

img_1415345_2_066cd0b7ec048819b6ec764cc5ad73d3.jpg

Last edited:
So basically, chicken and dumplings done right is not a slow cooker dish. does that sound right to those of you who have made it?

Sounds right to me although I'm no authority, I wouldn't use a slow cooker to make it unless I had nothing else to use. Chicken and dumplings requires attention to cook properly.

That looks like a perfect bowl MsM!

Last edited:
Sounds right to me although I'm no authority, I wouldn't use a slow cooker to make it unless I had nothing else to use. Chicken and dumplings requires attention to cook properly.

That looks like a perfect bowl MsM!

Thank you Kay

So basically, chicken and dumplings done right is not a slow cooker dish. Does that sound right to those of you who have made it?

It is a 'top of the stove' dish. The dumplings require attention half way through. It is basically a chicken soup simmered with vegetables, minus the potatoes. The Noodles replace the starch that the potatoes would provide. They are added just before you put in the dumpling dough. Since it only takes approximately 20 minutes, that should be enough time for the noodles to be cooked also. You don't want to add them too early. Otherwise they will suck up all the broth. :angel:

It is a 'top of the stove' dish. The dumplings require attention half way through. It is basically a chicken soup simmered with vegetables, minus the potatoes. The Noodles replace the starch that the potatoes would provide. They are added just before you put in the dumpling dough. Since it only takes approximately 20 minutes, that should be enough time for the noodles to be cooked also. You don't want to add them too early. Otherwise they will suck up all the broth. :angel:

Noodles? I can't imagine why one would need noodles with the dumplings too. The biscuits seem like plenty of starch on their own. I don't see any noodles in the one that msmofet posted pics of.

Noodles? I can't imagine why one would need noodles with the dumplings too. The biscuits seem like plenty of starch on their own. I don't see any noodles in the one that msmofet posted pics of.

In general, I'd agree with you, but adding multiple layers of starch to a single dish was/is often a means of stretching a little protein to feed a large group. My SO is one of 8 kids, who grew up in the 1940's &1950's. Her mom could take a little chicken stew, add noodles, top with dumplings, and serve it over smashed potatoes!

Apparently, this is still her idea of comfort food, so I have to make it occasionally :rolleyes:.

In general, I'd agree with you, but adding multiple layers of starch to a single dish was/is often a means of stretching a little protein to feed a large group. My SO is one of 8 kids, who grew up in the 1940's &1950's. Her mom could take a little chicken stew, add noodles, top with dumplings, and serve it over smashed potatoes!

Apparently, this is still her idea of comfort food, so I have to make it occasionally :rolleyes:.

I love chicken soup with noodles. But I also love the dumplings. Why can't one have both? Both the noodles and the flour and other ingredients are inexpensive and can make the meal stretch further. Do you put crackers or little oysteretts into a can of Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup? Canned or homemade. Why not?

I love chicken soup with noodles. But I also love the dumplings. Why can't one have both? Both the noodles and the flour and other ingredients are inexpensive and can make the meal stretch further. Do you put crackers or little oysteretts into a can of Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup? Canned or homemade. Why not?

No, I don't. Don't like soggy crackers. I've never put crackers in my soup, even when every kid I knew was doing it. I guess my drum played a different beat. :)

Back
Top Bottom