"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 02-27-2014, 12:10 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversage View Post
I do like cilantro. I didn't used to like it, but acquired a taste for it. Now I've reached a point that some dishes just aren't right without it.
Same here. But I like raw fresh cilantro. I once put a bunch of fresh cilantro into some type of braise and it ruined the dish.
But I did not know what I was doing.
I now am much more careful when cooking with it and use as much as possible when fresh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Then maybe I'll cut down the amount of cilantro in the dish. I hate cilantro, but have never even noticed the flavour in Indian dishes that I know have it. Maybe it changes when it's cooked.
There is a saying.
"If you don't like cilantro, try it again. If you still don't like it, try it again"

It most definitely changes with cooking. It can be very strong and take over the dish. My recommendations are to use fresh raw cilantro first.
Then if your taste changes, you can try using it in your cooking.
But use care. See my above post. Don't make the same mistake I did.

For me, cilantro finishes a dish and I rarely will use it when cooking. I like to use it as garnish as long as its paired with the correct food.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:11 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

I would suggest the opposite I saw Bobby Flay do a cooking demonstration once; one thing he made was a seafood ceviche and he talked about making salsas. He said cilantro needs friends It's not that great by itself but when you mix it with compatible ingredients, it can make a dish sing. I'd add a bit at a time and see how much you like.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:47 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I would suggest the opposite I saw Bobby Flay do a cooking demonstration once; one thing he made was a seafood ceviche and he talked about making salsas. He said cilantro needs friends It's not that great by itself but when you mix it with compatible ingredients, it can make a dish sing. I'd add a bit at a time and see how much you like.
Sounds like a plan. I have had cilantro in uncooked salsa and I hate it. But, as mentioned before, I know I have had it in Indian food and it was just part of the choir of herbs and spices and didn't sing off key.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:11 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

Are you looking for chicken tikka or chicken tikka masala?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk
Old 03-27-2014, 09:18 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Then maybe I'll cut down the amount of cilantro in the dish. I hate cilantro, but have never even noticed the flavour in Indian dishes that I know have it. Maybe it changes when it's cooked.
I think cilantro in Indian food is one of those things that you don't notice it when it's there but you do if it isn't.

I love it but it's a "Marmite" thing. You love it or hate it and there's no middle ground.

Bother, just had a text from the vet. She'd coming to do Horse's vaccinations and give his teeth their annual check up so I've got to dash off and "supervise". Back soon.

Correction: just had another text from vet that she's been called to an emergency and isn't on her way to Horse! (sigh!)
Old 03-27-2014, 09:30 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMrFrosty View Post
Are you looking for chicken tikka or chicken tikka masala?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk
Ah, chicken tikka masala that great dish said to originate (variously) in those famous Indian towns of Birmingham, Glasgow and Newcastle. I'm not being sarcastic. I like it if it isn't too "hot".

Balti is another "authentic" Indian style of cooking invented in the UK. I expect they are getting their own back for all those years of British colonisation!
Old 03-27-2014, 12:52 PM   #17
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Balti is another "authentic" Indian style of cooking invented in the UK. I expect they are getting their own back for all those years of British colonisation!
Back when I used to travel regularly to England on business, one of my favorite places to eat was a Balti restaurant. I had to ask a UK colleague what defined "Balti", because it's virtually unheard of in the US. His explanation was that it's defined by the type of vessel the food is cooked in, which is a serving-sized metal kadai (sometimes spelled "karahi"). But it seems to have a completely different spice profile than I've tasted in other Indian dishes. And more tomato.

My comparison would be American vs. Italian Pizza. The dish was obviously invented in Italy, but the Italians in the US have turned it into something much more than the simple Italian flatbread pizzas you get in Naples. I suspect the Indians and Pakistanis around Birmingham have created a similar concept with the Balti style in that area.

Regardless, I just love the stuff. I'd like to find a cookbook and make it at home. I already own a kadai.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:01 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

This recipe is good and pretty straightforward: Chicken tikka masala | BBC Good Food
This is even nicer, but slightly more labor-intensive:Chicken Tikka Masala

I cheat Tandoori chicken by covering chopped chicken breasts in 2 Tbs yoghurt and 2 Tbs Tikka paste and roasting them on a preheated stone / stoneware lasagna dish. ;)
Old 03-27-2014, 03:53 PM   #19
Executive Chef

The March 2014 edition of Cooking Light has a Chicken Tikka Masala recipe. I haven't tried it but they test their recipes extensively and I have never been disappointed by one of their recipes.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:52 AM   #20
Head Chef

The Serious Eats recipe looks very good. One question ... can I use boneless breasts or thighs? I am getting more comfortable on the grill without DH but bone in chicken scares me just a little. Thoughts?

Tags
chicken, recipe

Looking for TNT chicken tika masala recipe anyone have a proven recipe for this? 3 stars 1 reviews