"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 04-22-2015, 12:50 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
We actually prefer "Golden Dip" coatings over homemade. We both like the original and extra crispy. I really like the spicy. You can get dried buttermilk, keep it in the pantry and use when needed. Just add water.
I have the powdered buttermilk. Only mine says to refrigerate after opening. So that where I keep it. I have never been one to soak my chicken in buttermilk. That is more of a southern thing. And I learned to do chicken in New England. So I stick what I know works best for me.

Old 04-22-2015, 01:05 PM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I have the powdered buttermilk. Only mine says to refrigerate after opening. So that where I keep it. I have never been one to soak my chicken in buttermilk. That is more of a southern thing. And I learned to do chicken in New England. So I stick what I know works best for me.
And that's why he corrected himself in the very next post and said to refrigerate.

Old 04-22-2015, 03:08 PM   #13
Master Chef

I've always used "buttermilk" made with a cup of milk + 1 Tbs lemon juice (or vinegar). Yogurt or sour cream works too. I think soaking the chicken in it makes a world of difference.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 04:34 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I've always used "buttermilk" made with a cup of milk + 1 Tbs lemon juice (or vinegar). Yogurt or sour cream works too. I think soaking the chicken in it makes a world of difference.
I never even thought to substitute yogourt. I've even used yogourt that way in Indian cooking.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:52 PM   #15
Master Chef

I almost always have plain Greek Yogurt on hand Taxi.

Another thing Caslon, there's no law saying you have to fry up a whole cut up chicken. You may want to consider just using boneless or bone in chicken thighs for the first attempt at frying chicken. I think you'd like the results providing you prefer thighs to other chicken parts like we do. It can be somewhat tricky getting various chicken parts cooked properly and done at the same time otherwise.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:49 PM   #16
Head Chef

Thanks for all the suggestions about the cooking part. I may try the Golden Dip since so many say it does well for frying. I usually fry up a wing, a thigh and a leg. The chicken breasts with bone in are huge. I would fry them up if they weren't ridiculously oversized. KFC gets their bone in chicken breasts in smaller sizes, no doubt because they're grown to KFC specs. The best luck I've had buying smaller chicken breasts are the organic grown kind.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:57 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions about the cooking part. I may try the Golden Dip since so many say it does well for frying. I usually fry up a wing, a thigh and a leg. The chicken breasts with bone in are huge. I would fry them up if they weren't ridiculously oversized. KFC gets their bone in chicken breasts in smaller sizes, no doubt because they're grown to KFC specs. The best luck I've had buying smaller chicken breasts are the organic grown kind.
Caslon, I always buy a whole fryer and cut it up myself. So much cheaper. I cut the breast in half on both sides. So instead on just two pieces, I get four plus the two parts of the legs and the two wings. Ten pieces in all.

Even if you make a mess of cutting it, it won't matter after it is cooked. Do it a few times or watch some You Tubes on how to cut up a chicken first. Practice makes perfect! So true.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:08 PM   #18
Master Chef

There's no doubt the best bang for the buck is to cut up a whole chicken. I learned how to do it beside my Dad as a child in the meat market. That being said, for the first time with this fried chicken, I'd suggest he save that lesson for another time.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:09 PM   #19
Head Chef

I've seen on the cooking shows where a lot of places cut the breasts in half crosswise. It is very difficult to get a whole huge breast cooked on the inside without burning the outside, especially if you are cooking other pieces as well. I always start the breasts first, then add the other pieces and the breasts always come out last aftet a few extra minutes at a lower temp.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:35 PM   #20
Head Chef

I suppose I could better control how big the rib chicken breasts are by buying smaller whole chickens and cutting them up myself, which I have also have yet to learn how to do correctly. Youtube will help me. I really like how KFC and El Pollo Loco have smaller sized ribbed breasts. Store packaged are huge.

I've used Dixie Fry powdered frying mix for deep frying wings and it's available at one my local big 3 stores, Albertsons, Ralphs and Vons (Safeway). I've not seen the Golden Dipt for chicken frying that I can recall (plenty of other mixes by them). I'll order some online, but damn, $3.39 + $9.63 shipping! Still, I want to try that mix.

The tip about dried buttermilk is great if I don't want to freeze buttermilk in an icetray. I'll be looking for that next trip to my local 3 supermarkets.

Tags
chicken, how to