"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 04-22-2015, 08:38 PM   #21
Certified Pretend Chef

So many fried chicken recipes call for a 3.5LB-4.0Lb chicken. I haven't seen a chicken that small in many years.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:38 PM   #22
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
So many fried chicken recipes call for a 3.5LB-4.0Lb chicken. I haven't seen a chicken that small in many years.
Nor have I Andy. I guess they grow them bigger if not better these days.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:52 PM   #23
Head Chef

I too have noticed that the chicken industry is growing chickens larger than before. I bought some drumsticks I swear were close to turkey size. A good thing? Not to me.

I read today that McDonald's is taking a dive and is selling more chicken now than hamburger. In light of this, McDonald's has decided they will soon stop using antibiotics in the raising of their chickens. Gee, isn't that just swell? All the packaged chicken sold these days at the supermarkets brag they are free of hormones, antibiotics, etc. Good for you McDonalds!
Old 04-23-2015, 10:12 AM   #24
Head Chef

I have a gigantic cast iron fry pan which will do 1 cut chicken nicely, wings, the breast cut into 4 pcs legs & thighs, The wings are the last to go in, One time when I was pan frying I had turn the chicken over and the second side just got brown and ding dong the doorbell . While hubbie taking care of visitors Took the chicken out of the pan and set it in the oven on a sheet pan on 250 degrees. Went out on patio with friends, Visitors were here for almost an hour. When they left I check on the chix and it was done perfect it was the juiciest chix I had made. So I now pan fry to outside is all brown and crisp and then put into oven @ 350 till done. I also place it on a rack on top of a sheet pan so it doesn't get soggy.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:38 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by letscook View Post
I have a gigantic cast iron fry pan which will do 1 cut chicken nicely, wings, the breast cut into 4 pcs legs & thighs, The wings are the last to go in, One time when I was pan frying I had turn the chicken over and the second side just got brown and ding dong the doorbell . While hubbie taking care of visitors Took the chicken out of the pan and set it in the oven on a sheet pan on 250 degrees. Went out on patio with friends, Visitors were here for almost an hour. When they left I check on the chix and it was done perfect it was the juiciest chix I had made. So I now pan fry to outside is all brown and crisp and then put into oven @ 350 till done. I also place it on a rack on top of a sheet pan so it doesn't get soggy.
Well Caslon you are learning a bunch of ways to make perfect pan fried chicken. So put your Fry Daddy away and start practicing. I hope your family loves chicken. After about the third chicken dinner, it will be time to try your hand at cutting up your own whole chicken fryer.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:51 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Poultry shears are really handy when cutting up a chicken. I use them to remove the back and breast and to cut up the breast. The rest is mostly separating bones at joints.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:00 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Poultry shears are really handy when cutting up a chicken. I use them to remove the back and breast and to cut up the breast. The rest is mostly separating bones at joints.
Well worth the investment. I don't know where she got them, but my sister gave me a pair that came apart for easy cleaning. I treasure them. If only for the convenience of the cleaning aspect. Into hot soapy water they go every time.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:06 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Well worth the investment. I don't know where she got them, but my sister gave me a pair that came apart for easy cleaning. I treasure them. If only for the convenience of the cleaning aspect. Into hot soapy water they go every time.
Actually, any washable shears that come apart work. I can get shears that come apart at the dollar store.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:25 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Actually, any washable shears that come apart work. I can get shears that come apart at the dollar store.
That's true, but they don't stay sharp for very long. I have my poultry ones along with a pair of household Fiskars and they both come apart. Both have stayed sharp for many years.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:19 PM   #30
Head Chef

I put 3 thighs and 3 wings and 3 drumsticks in a bowl and will soak them overnight, then drain and freeze them. This way I don't have to wait overnight if I want spur of the moment fried chicken. It also helps in that I can now try 2 or 3 methods of battering, frying while learning.

One site mentioned putting a splash of buttermilk to the flour mix to firm it up so it's not so powdery. That sounds logical. Also, I'll probably let the chicken set awhile on a cookie sheet after dipping and flouring. Some say this is key. I'll probably try Dixie Fry mix one time, Golden Dipt one time and my own powder mix from scratch one time. I'll start off high temp, then reduce the oil to a less splattering temp to let it slowly oil boil. Some suggest to finish baking in the oven at 350F for about 20 minutes to keep the skin from overcooking and yet cook the inside thoroughly. They say this also causes any excess oil to drain out of the chicken. Sounds good to me. I'll look to see if they sell a glass top for my chef Emeril 10" CI pan as it seems important to cover while frying, especially at the lower oil temp. I have a splatter screen for the first part of the frying at high temp.

I may have to go thru some not so great batches to get to where it comes out great and which I can repeat with consistency (frying temps, time cooking, battering etc.). Good thing chicken is inexpensive.

Tags
chicken, how to