"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 10-30-2007, 04:25 PM   #1
Cook

Make it taste better

I fried chicken just a bit ago

I did cook it all the way through, but for some reason it just doesn't taste very good. Added salt pepper and emerils cajun seasoning. Is there anything I can do at this point? If it were pork chops I could cover with gooood gravy, but what can I do for chicken? Boneless, skinless breast.

Old 10-30-2007, 04:32 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Hey Song, people in the south smother anything and everything with gravy. If you can make some great gravy, I'd serve the chicken like that and I'll bet it would be great! Maybe some rice on the side, too. HTH

Old 10-30-2007, 04:33 PM   #3
Master Chef

You could cover it with gravy too. At this point I think there is nothing else you could do. Whatever could have been done should have been done before. First of all plain fried chicken breast suck, am I alowed to use that word? Really there is nothing to it. No flavor, the meat is tough, no fat. You really have to prepare it the right way. Very important not to overcook too. I would not simply fry breast.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:35 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
You could cover it with gravy too. At this point I think there is nothing else you could do. Whatever could have been done should have been done before. First of all plain fried chicken breast suck, am I alowed to use that word? Really there is nothing to it. No flavor, the meat is tough, no fat. You really have to prepare it the right way. Very important not to overcook too. I would not simply fry breast.
This is true, CharlieD. I learned it the hard way and my family described it the same way you did.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:36 PM   #5
Cook

Thanks to you both.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:42 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Add more seasoning to the outside of the meat. Next time do this as soon as you take the chicken up!

Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 04:48 PM   #7
Sous Chef

You could cut up the chicken and save it for soups, casseroles, etc.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:49 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Chop the chicken up, mix it with fried onions, tomatoes & seasonings. You could even spice it up a bit. Serve with rice. The mix will be slightly fluid and soften the chicken slightly & it should take on some of the sauce flavour.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:01 PM   #9
Cook

The chicken isn't tough it just doesn't have the flavor I thought it would. I added the salt. pepper and seasoning during and after cooking. Have you ever cooked and then didn't want it because you just cooked it? This could be part of my problem.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:56 PM   #10
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
I think chicken breasts are great fried. They cook quickly, so as with any method for cooking chicken breast, don’t over cook it (and it doesn't sound like you did). I recently got some Panko Bread crumbs and have fried chicken tenders and breasts with then, and they are outstanding. For more flavor, as the others said, you CAN cover then in gravy! I’d use a white country style gravy for this, but a brown would work as well. Or a chicken gravy.

Other ideas are a sauce of course.

You can put them over Mexican rice and cover with salsa.

Or coat them in sweet and sour sauce and then bake for 5 minutes to set the sauce and make it gooey.

Or coat them in BBQ sauce and bake for 5 minutes to set it.

Or heat up the BBQ or sweet and sour sauce till bubbly in a pot, then pour over the breast and let it cool. This will give you the cooked sauce flavor without having to heat the breast any more than needed (so you don’t risk over-cooking).

Make a quick Creole type sauce with tomatoes and a little white wine and pour that over the breast.

Cover them in spaghetti sauce (that you heated up on the stove) and cheese, and bake for 5 minutes to melt the cheese.

Lay a few strips of cooked bacon over them, cover with cheese and then bake/broil to melt the cheese. Maybe even add some sautéed onions to this.

Make a simple hollandaise sauce and pour over the breast.

Get really radical and cut them into strips and make a salad with lots of your favorite dressing.

There is so much you can do!!

Tags
None