Making a good crust for a chicken pot pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good luck, pengyou!

While you're here, may I ask you a few questions? Thanks ;)

What kind of cooking surface, cookware and fuel do most home cooks in China use? Is "wok hei" an important goal in home cooking? Do most Chinese home cooks do a lot of stir-frying, or are other techniques common as well?

Thanks so much [emoji2]

Chicken Pot Pie is one of my absolute favorite comfort foods and I often make a homemade pie, everything from scratch, including the crust. My crust is simple:

2 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup Crisco shortening, cut in
A dash of salt

Then add water, a couple of tablespoons at a time, until the dough forms a fairly stiff ball and workable.

This makes a top and bottom crust. I separate the dough into 2 portions, leaving one (for the bottom) just slightly bigger than the other. Then I put the dough portions in between 2 pieces of wax paper and roll out to fit whatever casserole dish I happen to be using at the time.

We're near Amish Country right now, and I vow to not leave until we get a supply of lard to take back to MA! I've been making 1/2 butter-1/2 lard crusts lately, and they are the best I've made. I also use lard for frying potatoes, eggs, lots of foods that need a bit of "grease" in the pan. :ermm:

Then again, maybe my hips don't really need me to buy that lard...:LOL:

We're near Amish Country right now, and I vow to not leave until we get a supply of lard to take back to MA! I've been making 1/2 butter-1/2 lard crusts lately, and they are the best I've made. I also use lard for frying potatoes, eggs, lots of foods that need a bit of "grease" in the pan. :ermm:

Then again, maybe my hips don't really need me to buy that lard...[emoji38]
Hey, potatoes and eggs are good for you! Ya gotta fry them in something! [emoji16]

Then again, maybe my hips don't really need me to buy that lard...:LOL:

Hey, potatoes and eggs are good for you! Ya gotta fry them in something! [emoji16]
I'm reminded of my mother explaining why she used margarine when on a weight loss diet. "Margarine and butter have the same number of calories for the same amount of butter or margarine. But, when you are spreading butter on your bread, it tastes so good that you put a lot more."

Maybe those potatoes won't tempt you to eat quite so many if you don't have the lard for frying them in. ;)

I'm reminded of my mother explaining why she used margarine when on a weight loss diet. "Margarine and butter have the same number of calories for the same amount of butter or margarine. But, when you are spreading butter on your bread, it tastes so good that you put a lot more."

Maybe those potatoes won't tempt you to eat quite so many if you don't have the lard for frying them in. ;)
But now we know that margarine is uniquely not good for you. Lard and butter also have the same number of calories, and similar amounts of yumminess.

As always, it comes down to moderation, eh? Willpower [emoji2]

Last edited:
Chicken Pot Pie is one of my absolute favorite comfort foods and I often make a homemade pie, everything from scratch, including the crust. My crust is simple:

2 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup Crisco shortening, cut in
A dash of salt

Then add water, a couple of tablespoons at a time, until the dough forms a fairly stiff ball and workable.

This makes a top and bottom crust. I separate the dough into 2 portions, leaving one (for the bottom) just slightly bigger than the other. Then I put the dough portions in between 2 pieces of wax paper and roll out to fit whatever casserole dish I happen to be using at the time.

Do you refrigerate your dough?
What about the rest of the recipe? what do you use and how you make the filling?

Do you refrigerate your dough?
What about the rest of the recipe? what do you use and how you make the filling?

No, I don't refrigerate it because I make the dough just before I put the pie together. As for the filling, well, I don't really use a recipe. Not anymore, anyway. It's a recipe I found years ago and fell in love with it. And I've made it so many times, I don't need the recipe anymore.

I put my pies, in most cases, in an 8x8 baking dish or a 9" deep dish pie plate. And basically I just get out a pot and melt butter to start making a roux. Once the flour is cooked down into the butter, I slowly add chicken broth, salt & pepper and, eventually, milk. I keep adding milk (and more flour, as necessary) until I feel I have enough gravy to fill the casserole dish and it has thickened. Then I add cooked chicken and peas and carrots. Sometimes I add diced cooked potato, but not always. I'll also sometimes add mushrooms (either canned or sauteed fresh) and I cook it just long enough to heat everything through, then put the pie together. I cut 3 slits in the top crust.

Then I toss it into the oven at about 375 until it's bubbly and the crust has a nice golden brown color.

Last edited:
Although this doesn't offer any advice for a good pie crust, I had a chicken pot pie ( vegetarian) at a restaurant in NYC a few weeks ago. Instead of a traditional crust, they cut a home made biscuit in half ( a large one ). Put the bottom half on the plate, spooned over the pot pie filling, then topped it with the top part of the biscuit. Definitely not the same thing, but it was kinda of a nice ,easy quick way to make a similar dish. Ive actually made it at home several times since.

Although this doesn't offer any advice for a good pie crust, I had a chicken pot pie ( vegetarian) at a restaurant in NYC a few weeks ago. Instead of a traditional crust, they cut a home made biscuit in half ( a large one ). Put the bottom half on the plate, spooned over the pot pie filling, then topped it with the top part of the biscuit. Definitely not the same thing, but it was kinda of a nice ,easy quick way to make a similar dish. Ive actually made it at home several times since.
That can be done with puff pastry, too, which is closer to pie crust.

That sounds a lot like Chicken a la King. I love that dish.

exps36654_SD1192217D18B-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom