"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2019, 10:38 AM   #31
Master Chef

The key to a good pie crust is to use COLD ngredients. The flour, the liquid and the fat.

Old 01-09-2019, 03:19 PM   #32
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Do you refrigerate your dough?
What about the rest of the recipe? what do you use and how you make the filling?
No, I don't refrigerate it because I make the dough just before I put the pie together. As for the filling, well, I don't really use a recipe. Not anymore, anyway. It's a recipe I found years ago and fell in love with it. And I've made it so many times, I don't need the recipe anymore.

I put my pies, in most cases, in an 8x8 baking dish or a 9" deep dish pie plate. And basically I just get out a pot and melt butter to start making a roux. Once the flour is cooked down into the butter, I slowly add chicken broth, salt & pepper and, eventually, milk. I keep adding milk (and more flour, as necessary) until I feel I have enough gravy to fill the casserole dish and it has thickened. Then I add cooked chicken and peas and carrots. Sometimes I add diced cooked potato, but not always. I'll also sometimes add mushrooms (either canned or sauteed fresh) and I cook it just long enough to heat everything through, then put the pie together. I cut 3 slits in the top crust.

Then I toss it into the oven at about 375 until it's bubbly and the crust has a nice golden brown color.

Linda0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:00 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Although this doesn't offer any advice for a good pie crust, I had a chicken pot pie ( vegetarian) at a restaurant in NYC a few weeks ago. Instead of a traditional crust, they cut a home made biscuit in half ( a large one ). Put the bottom half on the plate, spooned over the pot pie filling, then topped it with the top part of the biscuit. Definitely not the same thing, but it was kinda of a nice ,easy quick way to make a similar dish. Ive actually made it at home several times since.
larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:24 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
Although this doesn't offer any advice for a good pie crust, I had a chicken pot pie ( vegetarian) at a restaurant in NYC a few weeks ago. Instead of a traditional crust, they cut a home made biscuit in half ( a large one ). Put the bottom half on the plate, spooned over the pot pie filling, then topped it with the top part of the biscuit. Definitely not the same thing, but it was kinda of a nice ,easy quick way to make a similar dish. Ive actually made it at home several times since.
That can be done with puff pastry, too, which is closer to pie crust.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:07 PM   #35
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
That sounds a lot like Chicken a la King. I love that dish.

Linda0818 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicken, crust, pie