"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 10-08-2014, 04:05 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Lightbulb Moistening Chicken Prior To Coating

I tried something new tonight with three chicken leg quarters I thawed out. The chicken was bone-in and skins on.

I used EVOO, chives, a little over a tablespoon of fresh grated red onion and 2 minced garlic cloves to moisten the chicken first before dredging it through a Shake and Bake ranch and herb coating mix. I just whisked together the EVOO, chives, onion and garlic and used that as a moistener so the coating would stick. I coated the pieces thoroughly and put them on a 9 X 12 baking pan with a rack in it so as to drain away any fat.

My goodness, it was wonderful! I stuck it all in the oven until the chicken was 165 degrees. All in all, it was 2.47 pounds of chicken so I baked it for about 50 minutes at 400 degrees.

Now I'm guessing I could have added an egg to the moistener, so I may try that next. But gosh, this was good.

I'm guessing Shake and Bake is probably not anything very fancy, but we like it and this coating stayed on and was more consistent with the EVOO, etc. moistener.

Has anyone else tried this?

Old 10-08-2014, 04:17 AM   #2
Head Chef

Can you run that back for me in slow motion please? Mind you..it's probably me.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:05 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

How's this, caslon? I know, I read recipes better in recipe format than prose, too

Preheat oven to 400F.

EVOO
chives
1 tablespoon of fresh grated red onion
2 minced garlic cloves
3 bone-in, skin-on chicken leg quarters
Shake & Bake ranch & herb coating mix

Whisk together evoo, chives, red onion and garlic and rub over surface of three chicken leg quarters. Dredge chicken in coating mix. Place chicken in a 9x12 baking dish with a rack in it. Bake for 50 minutes or until chicken reaches 165F.

Sounds really good, CatLady. Try putting some of those flavorings under the skin to further flavor the meat. Yummy
Old 10-08-2014, 01:27 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Sounds like a good idea in general, but I guess if I were going to go through the trouble of pulling out the tools to chop up fresh ingredients in the prep stage, I'd just go that little bit further and make my own coating as well.

Or, am I incorrect in assuming that Shake & Bake is loaded to the hilt with additives and chemicals I can't pronounce (not being a smart ass, genuinely curious)?

On a somewhat related note, I picked up a container of "panko" at the grocery store recently and couldn't believe the laundry list of garbage that was in that product, which is pretty off-putting to me, considering that when I look at it, all I see with my eyes are bread crumbs.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:30 PM   #5
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdee1 View Post
On a somewhat related note, I picked up a container of "panko" at the grocery store recently and couldn't believe the laundry list of garbage that was in that product, which is pretty off-putting to me, considering that when I look at it, all I see with my eyes are bread crumbs.
Huh?

These are the ingredients on the box of Kikkoman Panko in my cupboard:

Ingredients
WHEAT FLOUR, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF EACH OF THE FOLLOWING: SUGAR, YEAST, SOYBEAN OIL, SALT.

Five ingredients, all of which looks pretty basic to me.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:55 PM   #6
Master Chef

I can't imagine what you bought. My store brand Panko has flour, sugar, salt and yeast.

Sounds good MC..I think I'd add an egg to the mix.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:03 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Or, am I incorrect in assuming that Shake & Bake is loaded to the hilt with additives and chemicals I can't pronounce (not being a smart ass, genuinely curious)?
Well, we have no idea what you can or can't pronounce, so you'll have to answer that question for yourself. For me, that's not a valid criterion for choosing foods.

http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/20...s-to-vaccines/
Old 10-08-2014, 04:21 PM   #8
Master Chef

I've never encountered panko that was anything more than dried bread made from flour, yeast, salt and sugar.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:59 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Well, we have no idea what you can or can't pronounce, so you'll have to answer that question for yourself. For me, that's not a valid criterion for choosing foods.

The Food Babe is to food as Jenny McCarthy is to vaccines – Respectful Insolence

Obviously I can pronounce the ingredients, I figured the cheekiness of the comment would be obvious; guess not.

The point is, most "convenience foods" have a bunch of junk in them, and I was wondering if anybody knew offhand if Shake & Bake did or not.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:37 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Obviously I can pronounce the ingredients, I figured the cheekiness of the comment would be obvious; guess not.

The point is, most "convenience foods" have a bunch of junk in them, and I was wondering if anybody knew offhand if Shake & Bake did or not.
My point is that ingredients with big, scary scientific names aren't necessarily bad, so, not knowing your definition of "junk," there's no way to answer your question.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shake...ke#Ingredients

Tags
chicken, coating mix, moistening, other