"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 02-21-2012, 07:14 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Mole - Chicken

I think about a year ago someone.. Buckytom or Tattrat from New jersey said they know how to make this dish with Dona Maria bottled sauce..

the instructions on the bottle are vary vague..

I want to make this for the Daytona Race this weekend..

but need some Help!

Thanks All, Eric, Austin Tx.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:09 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I'm looking at a bottle of Rogelio Bueno (brand) Mole "Mexican Condiment." Package directions say add one part mole to three parts chicken broth (or water, IMO not advised). The bottle size is 8.25 oz. Put the mole and 24 oz. of chicken broth in a bit pot and bring to a boil. (Start out with the mole sauce and get it hot and keep stirring while you continue to add broth until you reach the recommended amount.) Then add perhaps a whole cut up chicken with skin removed and reduce the heat, cover and simmer for maybe 45 minutes to an hour, checking occasionally and stirring, add water if necessary to prevent sticking or over thickening.

After an hour you're done. You are done when the meat falls off the bones. Serve with (IMO suggested) flour tortillas, refried beans, Spanish rice, and taco garnishes (avocado, cilantro, lettuce, chopped onion, chopped tomato, salsa, etc.).

I wouldn't have this mole sauce in my larder if this wasn't what I do with it. YMMV

This is the basic drill with any commercial mole sauce. I think your Dona Maria comes in a cute glass container that you could recycle for serving beverages, perhaps tequila if shot glasses aren't big enough.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:15 PM   #3
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
lol, I 'm not from Jersey, silly.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:17 PM   #4
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
From what I know, you brown off your chicken, pull aside, drain all but like 2T of the renderings, add in the sauce, bring to a simmer, add in stock, bring to simmer, put chicken in, cover, simmer for 20 min.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:22 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Tat Rat has a good suggestion too. Brown your chicken in a bit of oil then follow my directions. I recommend no skin, or discard the skin after the initial step. I've found that this dish benefits from cooking for at least 60 minutes. Maybe more. I like it best when the sauce is thick and the chicken falls apart.

Some day I'd like to toss in an amount of bitter chocolate, just to see what more chocolate does for it. (Chocolate is part of mole traditional ingredients.) I might throw in some small hot chili peppers too, particularly at the beginning, to try a hotter mix.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:32 PM   #6
The Dude Abides

More browning, more flavor, pretty simple.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:08 AM   #7
Sous Chef

my plan is..

brown one whole chiken (cut up) in oil, then remove.

then saute one onion (cut up)
one bell pepper (cut up)

then place all back into pot with Dona Maria Sauce (very thick) and 1 QT. water and some chix boulion cubes (3)

simmer for 1 Hour.

Then serve over rice with sidecar of Guacamole?

Does that sound about Right ?

I need to feed about 8 people.

maybe 2 whole chix?..

Eric Austin Tx
Old 02-23-2012, 09:54 AM   #8
Master Chef

Your white meat will be tough and dry if you cook it that long.

Add it later.

And I'd use canned or packaged or homemade brith and not cubes.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:19 PM   #9
Executive Chef

My opinion:

1. Remove the chicken skin. It will come out IMO yucky. And one chicken for 8 people sounds a bit short. Two for 8 is ample and then some.

2. The onions and peppers don't sit right with my opinion of the dish.

3. A full quart of liquid might be too much, and you don't want soup. Bullion cubes should be reserved for emergencies only. Use chicken stock instead. Of course the pure mole sauce is thick. It thins out when you add the broth, obviously, and the juices from the chicken will thin it some more. Check the bottle directions. Mine (different brand) says dilute 1:3 mole:stock. If the sauce gets thicker then add water as necessary later in cooking.

My chicken mole comes out fall off the bone and really tender after 45-60 minutes cooking, which is a good thing IMO. Remember to simmer it on LOW and check/stir or the sauce at the bottom will thicken and burn to the bottom of the pan.

I think the dish goes well with warm flour tortillas. Guac is always good with anything.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:27 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I bought Doa Maria Mole while shopping today. I've never tried it. Can anyone give me an idea of the flavor?

What else can it be used for?

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicken