"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 11-22-2015, 09:22 AM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

I've found turkey parts are more expensive than a whole turkey on a price per pound basis. So I buy an inexpensive 10 lb turkey and cut that up for meat and stock ingredients.

The turkey costs me $7.00 and I get three future meals, an entire carcass, wings and drumsticks for stock. Where I shop a couple of trays of wings or drumsticks can cost that much.

Old 11-22-2015, 09:25 AM   #12
Head Chef

I spent less than $10.00 for my wings, Andy.

Old 11-22-2015, 10:09 AM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndalou View Post
I spent less than $10.00 for my wings, Andy.
Lyndalou, my "frugality" makes me scout for the best deal. I don't mind the extra work to break down a turkey for parts. I have no doubt you got a delicious stock from the turkey wings. I was just offering an alternative.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:42 PM   #14
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Every year since learning your technique, Andy, I say I have to do that next time. And the next time I forget, this year I found no wings for stock, dang!
Old 11-22-2015, 01:52 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Every year since learning your technique, Andy, I say I have to do that next time. And the next time I forget, this year I found no wings for stock, dang!
Would you like me to send you a reminder next November?
Old 11-22-2015, 02:06 PM   #16
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Would you like me to send you a reminder next November?
Thanks, Andy, Might help! LOL! I'm going to start stock piling wings after Thanksgiving or look for an ultra cheap turkey. Doesn't hurt to be prepared for next year.
Old 11-22-2015, 02:45 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
!. I am making a mince meat pie and a pumpkin pie. I'd like to do them on Tuesday. Will they keep okay in the fridge?

2. I made turkey stock yesterday for gravy..will it be okay in the fridge or should i freeze it?

Thanks for all of the help..you can tell it's been awhile since I have made Thanksgiving dinner.
Keep the stock in the bottom of your fridge. It will be fine by Tuesday. Personally I'd make the gravy on Monday than refrigerate it.
You'd be stunned at how long even really good restaurants make gravies/stocks and keep them in five gallon pails in the walkins.
Old 11-22-2015, 02:48 PM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Lyndalou, my "frugality" makes me scout for the best deal. I don't mind the extra work to break down a turkey for parts. I have no doubt you got a delicious stock from the turkey wings. I was just offering an alternative.
I knew that, Andy. didn't mean to come off as offended or whatever. You have given me lots of good tipesover time.
Old 11-22-2015, 03:39 PM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
I knew that, Andy. didn't mean to come off as offended or whatever. You have given me lots of good tipesover time.

No worries.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:43 PM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
I've found turkey parts are more expensive than a whole turkey on a price per pound basis. So I buy an inexpensive 10 lb turkey and cut that up for meat and stock ingredients.

The turkey costs me $7.00 and I get three future meals, an entire carcass, wings and drumsticks for stock. Where I shop a couple of trays of wings or drumsticks can cost that much.
Yup. I just bought a small turkey yesterday even though we are not doing dinner at our house this year. I always like to take advantage of the sales on turkeys before Thanksgiving for future reference.

Tags
None