More questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyndalou

Head Chef
!. I am making a mince meat pie and a pumpkin pie. I'd like to do them on Tuesday. Will they keep okay in the fridge?

2. I made turkey stock yesterday for gravy..will it be okay in the fridge or should i freeze it?

Thanks for all of the help..you can tell it's been awhile since I have made Thanksgiving dinner.

Pumpkin pie will keep fine in the fridge. I've never made mince meat pie, but after reading Alton Brown's recipe, it sounds like one of those things that gets better with time. I would freeze the stock and put it in the fridge to thaw overnight.

A thought on the pumpkin pie, chill it in the refrigerator before you cover it. Sometimes tightly wrapped pumpkin pies give off moisture that forms condensation on the wrapping and it "rains" down on top of the covered pie. If that should happen just lay a paper towel over it to absorb the moisture and put a big dollop of whipped cream on it when you serve it! ;)

I think your pies will be fine as the fillings are sort of Presearved all ready...

I would like to know how you made Turkey Stock for gravey ahead of cooking the Turkey?!

Inquiring minds want to know..

Eric, Austin Tx.

I think your pies will be fine as the fillings are sort of Presearved all ready...

I would like to know how you made Turkey Stock for gravey ahead of cooking the Turkey?!

Inquiring minds want to know..

Eric, Austin Tx.

I bought 4 lbs of turkey wings and simmered them in water with a head of garlic cut in half, an onion,cut in half 2 carrots, chopped, and some celery, chopped,about 2 stalks.

I brought it up to a boil, skimmed off the stuff that comes to the top, lowered the heat and simmered it for 2 hours. I had 12 cups total and I will make gravy on Wednesday using that. On Thursday, I'll warm it and add any juices from the bottom of my roaster.

I also added peppercorns and about 1 tsp. of salt. I let it cool in the pot then strained it through a fine mesh strainer into a container. Results were a really nice clear stock.

It's not a requirement, but I like to roast the stock ingredients before making the stock. It gives it a nice caramelized flavor and deep brown color. I also add fresh thyme and parsley stems and dried bay leaves.

It's not a requirement, but I like to roast the stock ingredients before making the stock. It gives it a nice caramelized flavor and deep brown color. I also add fresh thyme and parsley stems and dried bay leaves.

Plus, if you roast the parts before making stock you can save the fond and use it to make Thanksgiving day gravy

I should have roasted the ingredients...didn't think of it. I did use dried bay leaves and fresh thyme.... As for the color, good old kitchen bouquet will help with that.

I've found turkey parts are more expensive than a whole turkey on a price per pound basis. So I buy an inexpensive 10 lb turkey and cut that up for meat and stock ingredients.

The turkey costs me $7.00 and I get three future meals, an entire carcass, wings and drumsticks for stock. Where I shop a couple of trays of wings or drumsticks can cost that much.

I spent less than $10.00 for my wings, Andy.

Lyndalou, my "frugality" makes me scout for the best deal. I don't mind the extra work to break down a turkey for parts. I have no doubt you got a delicious stock from the turkey wings. I was just offering an alternative.

Every year since learning your technique, Andy, I say I have to do that next time. And the next time I forget, this year I found no wings for stock, dang!

Would you like me to send you a reminder next November?

Thanks, Andy, Might help! LOL! I'm going to start stock piling wings after Thanksgiving or look for an ultra cheap turkey. Doesn't hurt to be prepared for next year.

!. I am making a mince meat pie and a pumpkin pie. I'd like to do them on Tuesday. Will they keep okay in the fridge?

2. I made turkey stock yesterday for gravy..will it be okay in the fridge or should i freeze it?

Thanks for all of the help..you can tell it's been awhile since I have made Thanksgiving dinner.
Keep the stock in the bottom of your fridge. It will be fine by Tuesday. Personally I'd make the gravy on Monday than refrigerate it.
You'd be stunned at how long even really good restaurants make gravies/stocks and keep them in five gallon pails in the walkins.

Lyndalou, my "frugality" makes me scout for the best deal. I don't mind the extra work to break down a turkey for parts. I have no doubt you got a delicious stock from the turkey wings. I was just offering an alternative.

I knew that, Andy. didn't mean to come off as offended or whatever. You have given me lots of good tipesover time.

I've found turkey parts are more expensive than a whole turkey on a price per pound basis. So I buy an inexpensive 10 lb turkey and cut that up for meat and stock ingredients.

The turkey costs me $7.00 and I get three future meals, an entire carcass, wings and drumsticks for stock. Where I shop a couple of trays of wings or drumsticks can cost that much.

Yup. I just bought a small turkey yesterday even though we are not doing dinner at our house this year. I always like to take advantage of the sales on turkeys before Thanksgiving for future reference.

Back
Top Bottom