Moroccan Chicken with Potatoes and Olives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SharonT

Sous Chef
Here's yet another Chicken with Olives (and Lemon):
Moroccan Chicken with Potatoes & Olives​
2 pounds red potatoes, halved (or quartered if large)
3 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon salt
fresh-ground black pepper to taste
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
10 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
1 cup pitted black olives, halved
1/2 red onion, chopped
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley, chopped
Put the potatoes in a saucepan with enough salted water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and gently boil until potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes. Drain, and when they are cool enough to handle, peel and cut into 1/4-inch slices. Put in large mixing bowl.
Combine the lemon juice, cumin, paprika, salt, pepper, ginger and oregano in a small bowl. Add 1/2 cup olive oil and whisk to mix. Pour half of dressing over potatoes and stir gently to coat.
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a heavy skillet and cook chicken approximately 5 minutes on each side or until just done, or coat chicken with olive oil and grill..
Slice cooked chicken in 1/4 inch slices; add to potatoes. Add onion, olives, parsley, and remaining dressing. Toss gently.
Serve warm or at room temperature.

Can't wait to try that one SharonT - thanks!!! I particularly like the fact that it doesn't have any cloves or cinnamon in it, like so many Moroccan & African recipes do. Except for ginger, for some reason I really just can't take what I consider "baking spices" in savory dishes.

The recipe was given me by a friend very recently and it's already a favorite. I've tried it with plain ole black olives, with Greek black olives and a mixture of green and black... all good. My volunteer group made it this morning to serve 120 at a luncheon tomorrow. We're serving it with a "Tunisian Chopped Vegetable Salad" and an appetizer tray with hummus, tabbouleh, olives, feta cheese, pita crisps, dates and figs. (Not a speck of cinnamon or cloves anywhere - but lots of cumin and/or paprika, parsley, lemon juice... ) The idea for the appetizer medley came from Robo and others here. I'm quite looking forward to it.

:)

Back
Top Bottom