"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 04-01-2005, 07:23 PM   #1
Head Chef

Most Tender Chicken Breasts Ever

Okay im hoping someone can replicate this recipe because i want to do it here at my house. Very simple.. Fresh Herbs, white wine, Chicken breasts.

I saw my good friends dad cook chicken breasts this one time and have basic idea of what he did, but no recipe...

Basically he covered a 13x9 baking dish with white wine and maybe lemon, and fresh herbs, and simmered chicken breasts in there till the meat was extremely tender. He cooked them over a period of several hours, at like 250 degrees or something... Anyone know of a recipe like this?

Old 04-01-2005, 07:40 PM   #2
Hospitality Queen

couldn't you use those same ingredients and cook the breasts in a roaster? And,if you don't want them "soaking" as they would in a crock pot, just put in the wire rack that comes with the roaster. Hope this helps :)

Old 04-02-2005, 01:02 AM   #3
Head Chef

Just asking what i know, i dont have any roasting pans nor have i ever roasted...
Old 04-02-2005, 01:27 AM   #4
Hospitality Queen

No, not roasting pans - here's a NO-FAIL roasting method! Reallly!

go to wal-mart and get a GE 18-qt Roaster (I think that's the size). It's under $20. It looks like an oval crockpot on steroids. The inner pan is metal, as opposed to the crock pot's crock, which is ceramic. I can put 2 chickens, a ton of veggies, & some broth in there and 3-4 hours later I have a great dinner. It's also really a quick clean up!

I also cook my Turkeys in there - no more oven mess! I can go from a thawed bird to a "so moist the bones literally slide out" turkey in 4 hours.

that's why I figured if you wanted a really good chicken breast recipe, you could use the roaster, put in your ingreds & *Poof* in 3-4 hours, you'd have it!
Old 04-02-2005, 05:01 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Throw your wine, a couple of halved lemons and some chicken stock in a tray or a fry pan with a metal handle. Then heat to a simmer, throw in some peppercorns, bay leaves and I reckon some fresh tarragon would be a nice touch add chicken breasts and cover with foil, then simply throw into a cold oven (about 90 celcius, don't know farenhiet) and forget about it for 2 hours or so. This will be so tender and juicy, you could also reduce the cooking liquid on the stove top, add a little pure cream and some fresh chopped tarragon and presto you have a magic little sauce to go with the super tender chicken. Try it you won't be dissapointed.
Old 04-02-2005, 10:14 AM   #6
Head Chef

thanks for all the feedback!!!!

so a cast iron skillet will do the trick? How much wine should i put, juust enough to cover like the bottom half of the chicken breasts???? 90 celsius, i can get a translation of that for sure.....
Old 04-04-2005, 02:33 PM   #7
Master Chef

Wine in a cast iron skillet is not the best idea in the world. It will react with the acid in the wine. Won't kill you, but it may affect the taste of the dish.

If you want tender chicken breasts, try brining them.

Also, 90 celcius is only 200F. I'd preheat the oven.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:53 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Ya know.. that brings up an interesting point I'll toss out for the "experts" comments... I was watching some cooking show awhile back (darn if I can remember which one.. might have been Michael Chiarello).. anyway, he was demonstrating not only a procedure for cooking a "tender" chicken breast.. but for holding it almost indefinitely without it overcooking and becoming tough.

What he did, as I recall, using an instant read probe thermometer.. was to bring his poaching liquid, chicken stock I think (in an electric fry pan), up to the temperature he wanted (160 or 165 degrees for chicken breast?) and then poached the breasts.. he claimed you could leave them in that same poaching liquid for a LONG time without overcooking them.... He was using them for some kind of salad for a party and wanted to hold them for awhile until his guests came.

I haven't tried this but thought I'd toss it out just in case it makes any sense
Old 04-04-2005, 06:59 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
Wine in a cast iron skillet is not the best idea in the world. It will react with the acid in the wine. Won't kill you, but it may affect the taste of the dish.

If you want tender chicken breasts, try brining them.

Also, 90 celcius is only 200F. I'd preheat the oven.
This method used it more around 250. Thanks for the tip about skillet. What about just a Steel skillet?
Old 04-04-2005, 10:58 PM   #10
Master Chef

Steel skillet (ovenproof, of course) is great.

Tags
None