"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-20-2012, 12:47 PM   #1
Master Chef
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8,467
Ms. Mofet's Sweet and Sour Chicken (or Pork)

Ms. Mofet's Sweet and Sour Chicken (or Pork)

Chicken (or Pork):
  • 2 pounds skinned, de-boned chicken or boneless pork
  • 2 TBS Rice wine or dry Sherry
Vegetables:
  • 1 large clove garlic; chopped fine
  • 1 green bell pepper, washed, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch squares
  • 1 red bell pepper, washed, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch squares
  • 1 large yellow onion, skinned, root end removed, cut into 1/2-inch squares
  • 2 medium carrots, peeled and trimmed, slice thinly on the bias
  • 3 stalk scallion (cut into 2-inch lengths)
  • 1 (20 oz) can pineapple chunks in juice (no added sweeteners); reserve juice
  • Oil for frying
Sweet and Sour Sauce:
  • 1/2 cup reserved pineapple juice
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup white or rice vinegar
  • 3 TBSP lemon juice
  • 1 TBSP Plum sauce
  • 1 TBSP Apricot preserves
  • 1 TBS Orange marmalade
  • 1 TBSP Cherry preserves
  • 1 TBSP Peach preserves
  • Red pepper flakes to taste
  • 6 drops each - Red & yellow food coloring
  • 4 rounded TBSP cornstarch mixed in enough cold water to make a slurry
Batter:
  • 4 TBSP flour (or enough to make a thick batter)
  • 4 TBSP cornstarch
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • Ground peppercorns, ground ginger and garlic powder - to taste
  • Peanut oil for frying
Sweet and Sour Sauce:
  1. Place pineapple juice, water, sugar, plum sauce, apricot preserves and orange marmalade in sauce pan.
  2. Heat over medium flame.
  3. When sugar has dissolved, slowly add the vinegar and the lemon juice while stirring.
  4. Add corn starch slurry and stir while heating. Bring to a boil.
  5. Stir constantly until thickened.
  6. Add food coloring (a couple drops of each at first and then adjust until you have the orange color you like) and stir well to mix.
  7. Continue to heat and stir until almost a syrup.
  8. Remove from heat and set pot aside.
Prepare and cook chicken (or pork):
  1. Cut the chicken breast or pork into bite-size cubes and marinate with 2 TBS of rice wine/dry sherry for 10 minutes.
  2. Mix the batter in a bowl and add the chicken or pork cubes to the batter.
  3. Heat oil in a wok or cast iron pan and fry the chicken or pork cubes. (Shake off the extra batter before frying). NOTE: You may use a deep fryer - Fry cubes according to manufactures instructions.
  4. Drain the chicken or pork on a tray lined with brown paper bag or towels to soak up the excess oil.
Cook vegetables and put together:
  1. Add several turns of oil to a large frying pan or wok.
  2. Bring to frying temperature over medium heat.
  3. Add garlic to pan and fry till fragrant.
  4. Add vegetables (but NOT the pineapple) and cook, stirring frequently, until onions begin to caramelize.
  5. Add vegetables to pot with sweet and sour sauce and continue cooking and stirring until vegetables are bite tender and sauce has re-thickened and clings to the vegetables.
  6. Add pineapple and chicken or pork to pot and fold into the vegetables and sauce.
  7. Simmer until heated through.
  8. Serve with white or brown rice.


__________________

__________________
Your hand and your mouth agreed many years ago that, as far as chocolate is concerned, there is no need to involve your brain. -Dave Barry
msmofet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:51 PM   #2
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,344
I just dip the meat in beaten eggs, whole, white or whole, your choice, then roll in corn starch. Cheap, easy and tasty
__________________

__________________
PattY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:28 PM   #3
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: here
Posts: 3,612
It's an interesting debate and I'm experimenting with various batters myself at the present. I've discovered that it depends on the recipe whether battering is appropriate, and what marinade you use before battering is important, or maybe you might even combine the marinade and batter.

IMO sweet 'n sour is particularly appropriate to heavy battering, and I favor a heavily sweet 'n sour marinade too, usually lots of sweet stuff (aji mirin, kotterin mirin--yes I know I'm mixing in my Japanese, rice wine vinegar, maybe some palm sugar--channeling my Thai). One thing for sure, sweet 'n sour calls for a lot of sour vinegary tastes and a lot of sweet tastes.

What's particularly good is to add a lot of vegetables. I particularly favor zucchini (or cucumbers) cut on diagonal with a wavy cutter, and carrots (similarly cut), onions, and of course lots of pineapple (preferably fresh). One of my favorites is adding leaches (I'm just kidding--lychees, the Asian fruit available in cans).

And of course plenty of bell peppers. They are so mellow and flavorful, and such good vitamins/nutrients...
__________________
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:04 PM   #4
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 9
Sounds yummy!
__________________
CookingBuddy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:00 PM   #5
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 8,393
if you ask me, drop the vegies all together just give me chicken and sweet and sour sauce with some fried rice, yum.
BTW GG, where do you by wavy knife/cutter, I have not seen one in years.
__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:12 PM   #6
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: here
Posts: 3,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
BTW GG, where do you by wavy knife/cutter, I have not seen one in years.
Get it at a restaurant supply store. Or if you don't have one nearby I just checked Amazon (search "wavy cutter" in kitchen category) and they've got them too, for about $5-$10. They go for about $3-$4 in a decent restaurant supply store.
__________________
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:35 AM   #7
Executive Chef
 
Bolas De Fraile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
Ms. Mofet's Sweet and Sour Chicken (or Pork)

Chicken (or Pork):
  • 2 pounds skinned, de-boned chicken or boneless pork
  • 2 TBS Rice wine or dry Sherry
Vegetables:
  • 1 large clove garlic; chopped fine
  • 1 green bell pepper, washed, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch squares
  • 1 red bell pepper, washed, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch squares
  • 1 large yellow onion, skinned, root end removed, cut into 1/2-inch squares
  • 2 medium carrots, peeled and trimmed, slice thinly on the bias
  • 3 stalk scallion (cut into 2-inch lengths)
  • 1 (20 oz) can pineapple chunks in juice (no added sweeteners); reserve juice
  • Oil for frying
Sweet and Sour Sauce:
  • 1/2 cup reserved pineapple juice
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup white or rice vinegar
  • 3 TBSP lemon juice
  • 1 TBSP Plum sauce
  • 1 TBSP Apricot preserves
  • 1 TBS Orange marmalade
  • 1 TBSP Cherry preserves
  • 1 TBSP Peach preserves
  • Red pepper flakes to taste
  • 6 drops each - Red & yellow food coloring
  • 4 rounded TBSP cornstarch mixed in enough cold water to make a slurry
Batter:
  • 4 TBSP flour (or enough to make a thick batter)
  • 4 TBSP cornstarch
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • Ground peppercorns, ground ginger and garlic powder - to taste
  • Peanut oil for frying
Sweet and Sour Sauce:
  1. Place pineapple juice, water, sugar, plum sauce, apricot preserves and orange marmalade in sauce pan.
  2. Heat over medium flame.
  3. When sugar has dissolved, slowly add the vinegar and the lemon juice while stirring.
  4. Add corn starch slurry and stir while heating. Bring to a boil.
  5. Stir constantly until thickened.
  6. Add food coloring (a couple drops of each at first and then adjust until you have the orange color you like) and stir well to mix.
  7. Continue to heat and stir until almost a syrup.
  8. Remove from heat and set pot aside.
Prepare and cook chicken (or pork):
  1. Cut the chicken breast or pork into bite-size cubes and marinate with 2 TBS of rice wine/dry sherry for 10 minutes.
  2. Mix the batter in a bowl and add the chicken or pork cubes to the batter.
  3. Heat oil in a wok or cast iron pan and fry the chicken or pork cubes. (Shake off the extra batter before frying). NOTE: You may use a deep fryer - Fry cubes according to manufactures instructions.
  4. Drain the chicken or pork on a tray lined with brown paper bag or towels to soak up the excess oil.
Cook vegetables and put together:
  1. Add several turns of oil to a large frying pan or wok.
  2. Bring to frying temperature over medium heat.
  3. Add garlic to pan and fry till fragrant.
  4. Add vegetables (but NOT the pineapple) and cook, stirring frequently, until onions begin to caramelize.
  5. Add vegetables to pot with sweet and sour sauce and continue cooking and stirring until vegetables are bite tender and sauce has re-thickened and clings to the vegetables.
  6. Add pineapple and chicken or pork to pot and fold into the vegetables and sauce.
  7. Simmer until heated through.
  8. Serve with white or brown rice.


Its 07.00 and I could murder your dish MM
__________________
I was married by a judge, I should have asked for a jury.
Bolas De Fraile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:41 AM   #8
Master Chef
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
Its 07.00 and I could murder your dish MM
Thank you again bolas.
__________________
Your hand and your mouth agreed many years ago that, as far as chocolate is concerned, there is no need to involve your brain. -Dave Barry
msmofet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:43 AM   #9
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 8,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
Get it at a restaurant supply store. Or if you don't have one nearby I just checked Amazon (search "wavy cutter" in kitchen category) and they've got them too, for about $5-$10. They go for about $3-$4 in a decent restaurant supply store.
Thanks, I'll have to look more carefully next time. Couple of RS places I go to on the regular bases, haven't had them. Maybe I just did not notice.
__________________

__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
chicken, pork, recipe, sweet

Ms. Mofet's Sweet and Sour Chicken (or Pork) [COLOR=#000000][FONT=Calibri][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][U][B][SIZE=3]Ms. Mofet's Sweet and Sour Chicken (or Pork)[/SIZE][/B][/U] [/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR] [FONT=Verdana] [/FONT] [FONT=Verdana][B]Chicken (or Pork):[/B][/FONT] [LIST] [*][FONT=Verdana]2 pounds skinned, de-boned chicken or boneless pork[/FONT] [*][FONT=Verdana]2 TBS Rice wine or dry Sherry[/FONT] [/LIST][FONT=Verdana][B]Vegetables:[/B][/FONT] [LIST] [*][FONT=Verdana]1 large clove garlic; chopped fine[/FONT] [*][FONT=Verdana]1 green bell pepper, washed, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch squares[/FONT] [*][FONT=Verdana]1 red bell pepper, washed, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch squares[/FONT] [*][FONT=Verdana]1 large yellow onion, skinned, root end removed, cut into 1/2-inch squares[/FONT] [*][FONT=Verdana]2 medium carrots, peeled and trimmed, slice thinly on the bias[/FONT] [*][FONT=Verdana]3 stalk scallion (cut into 2-inch lengths)[/FONT] [*][FONT=Verdana]1 (20 oz) can pineapple chunks in juice (no added sweeteners); reserve juice[/FONT] [*][FONT=Verdana]Oil for frying[/FONT] [/LIST][FONT=Verdana][B][U]Sweet and Sour Sauce:[/U][/B][/FONT] [LIST] [*][FONT=Verdana]1/2 cup reserved pineapple juice[/FONT] [*][FONT=Verdana]1 cup water[/FONT] [*][FONT=Verdana]1/4 cup granulated sugar[/FONT] [*][FONT=Verdana]1/4 cup white or rice vinegar[/FONT] [*][FONT=Verdana]3 TBSP lemon juice[/FONT] [*][FONT=Verdana]1 TBSP Plum sauce[/FONT] [*][FONT=Verdana]1 TBSP Apricot preserves[/FONT] [*][FONT=Verdana]1 TBS Orange marmalade [/FONT] [*][FONT=Verdana]1 TBSP Cherry preserves[/FONT] [*][FONT=Verdana]1 TBSP Peach preserves[/FONT] [*][FONT=Verdana]Red pepper flakes to taste[/FONT] [*][FONT=Verdana]6 drops each - Red & yellow food coloring[/FONT] [*][FONT=Verdana]4 rounded TBSP cornstarch mixed in enough cold water to make a slurry[/FONT] [/LIST][FONT=Verdana][B][U]Batter:[/U][/B][/FONT] [LIST] [*][FONT=Verdana]4 TBSP flour (or enough to make a thick batter)[/FONT] [*][FONT=Verdana]4 TBSP cornstarch[/FONT] [*][FONT=Verdana]1/2 cup water[/FONT] [*][FONT=Verdana]1/2 tsp baking soda[/FONT] [*][FONT=Verdana]Ground peppercorns, ground ginger and garlic powder - to taste [/FONT] [*][FONT=Verdana]Peanut oil for frying[/FONT] [/LIST][FONT=Verdana][B]Sweet and Sour Sauce:[/B][/FONT] [LIST=1] [*][FONT=Verdana]Place pineapple juice, water, sugar, plum sauce, apricot preserves and orange marmalade in sauce pan. [/FONT] [*][FONT=Verdana]Heat over medium flame. [/FONT] [*][FONT=Verdana]When sugar has dissolved, slowly add the vinegar and the lemon juice while stirring.[/FONT] [*][FONT=Verdana]Add corn starch slurry and stir while heating. Bring to a boil. [/FONT] [*][FONT=Verdana]Stir constantly until thickened. [/FONT] [*][FONT=Verdana]Add food coloring (a couple drops of each at first and then adjust until you have the orange color you like) and stir well to mix. [/FONT] [*][FONT=Verdana]Continue to heat and stir until almost a syrup. [/FONT] [*][FONT=Verdana]Remove from heat and set pot aside. [/FONT] [/LIST][FONT=Verdana][B]Prepare and cook chicken (or pork):[/B][/FONT] [LIST=1] [*][FONT=Verdana]Cut the chicken breast or pork into bite-size cubes and marinate with 2 TBS of rice wine/dry sherry for 10 minutes. [/FONT] [*][FONT=Verdana]Mix the batter in a bowl and add the chicken or pork cubes to the batter. [/FONT] [*][FONT=Verdana] [/FONT] [*][FONT=Verdana]Heat oil in a wok or cast iron pan and fry the chicken or pork cubes. (Shake off the extra batter before frying). NOTE: You may use a deep fryer - Fry cubes according to manufactures instructions. [/FONT] [*][FONT=Verdana]Drain the chicken or pork on a tray lined with brown paper bag or towels to soak up the excess oil. [/FONT] [/LIST][FONT=Verdana][B]Cook vegetables and put together:[/B][/FONT] [LIST=1] [*][FONT=Verdana]Add several turns of oil to a large frying pan or wok. [/FONT] [*][FONT=Verdana]Bring to frying temperature over medium heat. [/FONT] [*][FONT=Verdana]Add garlic to pan and fry till fragrant. [/FONT] [*][FONT=Verdana]Add vegetables [B](but NOT the pineapple)[/B] and cook, stirring frequently, until onions begin to caramelize.[/FONT] [*][FONT=Verdana]Add vegetables to pot with sweet and sour sauce and continue cooking and stirring until vegetables are bite tender and sauce has re-thickened and clings to the vegetables.[/FONT] [*][FONT=Verdana]Add pineapple and chicken or pork to pot and fold into the vegetables and sauce. [/FONT] [*][FONT=Verdana]Simmer until heated through. [/FONT] [*][FONT=Verdana]Serve with white or brown rice.[/FONT] [/LIST][FONT=Verdana] [/FONT] [COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana][IMG]http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp48/msmofet/Food%20Two/080511_sweet_sour_pork.jpg[/IMG][/FONT][/COLOR] 3 stars 1 reviews
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.