"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Old 12-10-2008, 03:57 PM   #11
Executive Chef
Funny side note on that....I recently saw Paula's House seasoning being sold in a market for just under 7.00 bucks!! And a small bottle at that!
7 dollars for salt, pepper, and garlic wow!! Talk about paying for the label!

"Many people have eaten my cooking & gone on to lead Normal lives."

deelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 04:48 PM   #12
Master Chef
Let me tell you something. I used to believe that my ex was the best cook in the world. Until recently I had an opportunity to eat at her house. If it was a restaurant I would demand a refund. So I asked her if she always cooked that particular dish that way, and she said yes. It was one of my favorites. It was not good at all. So, stop thinking about your ex. Move on. Eat what you make and enjoy, I guarantee your cooking is just as good if not better.

You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 04:58 PM   #13
Assistant Cook
Really, I haven't thought about her for about 15 years now (I don't even remember what color hair she had). I just wanted some chicken!But, the last recipe I tried and just ate didn't taste like what I remember, so maybe its my memory and taste buds that are going and not my love life.
wanderer2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 04:59 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by wanderer2day
She would do something first (that I never saw) and then fry it and put it in the oven to finish
Maybe she "brined' the chicken....Could be that no milk or milk products were involved at all....
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 06:54 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
I printed that recipe out RobsanX. Thanks.
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:39 PM   #16
Sous Chef
Hey Rick-as a battle scarred veteran of a couple of marriages, I would recommend forgetting about the milky chicken and head for KFC.

No doubt her chicken was good-but do you really want to go back in through the out door ? Its a slippery slope my friend!!
Mess with me and you mess with the whole trailer park!!!
smoke king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:13 AM   #17
Sous Chef
The Paula Deen recipe is the best ever! I use it all the time. Some times I brine the chicken beforehand for about an hour in: 1 qt water, 2 tbsp Brown Sugar, 1 crushed garlic clove, 1/4 Cup Kosher Sale. A tasty variation.
dave the baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 04:05 AM   #18
Senior Cook
I've been using the Paula Deen recipe for quite awhile since I saw her make in on her show. It's really good and easy! It's the only recipe I use now.

homecook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:32 AM   #19
Senior Cook
You're missing the most important item...To SALT the buttermilk! You want to create a buttermilk brine, which allows osmosis to happen, aka allow the buttermilk to penetrate the skin...You only need it to soak for about an hour...

Here's what I did Friday night with chicken breast cutlets...After a buttermilk brine, I drizzled some buttermilk into the dredge flour and used my fingers to get the flour clumpy...I dredged the breast in regular flour, dipped in egg then the clumpy flour, this is the results...

Bacardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 03:41 PM   #20
Assistant Cook
OH MY BACARDI! That looks delish! Im over here droolin!
Quick question: What would happen if I brined the chicken, AND then let it sit in a buttermilk bath? ( would I end up with chicken baby food?) lol

Sunbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote