"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 12-17-2008, 01:59 PM   #31
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacardi View Post
Thank you! It's great if you like crispy chicken. If you prefer softer crust, like kfc, use cake flour :)

Honestly don't know as I've never tried...I can a one hour soak in buttermilk brine was much better than a 24 hour soak in unsalted buttermilk...

Put on the hat ppl cause it time to experiment!! Its OFFICIAL!! Im gonna try it! A brine, and THEN a buttermilk soak!
Ill post what happens! OOOO! Im sooo excited

Old 12-17-2008, 02:43 PM   #32
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbubbles View Post
Put on the hat ppl cause it time to experiment!! Its OFFICIAL!! Im gonna try it! A brine, and THEN a buttermilk soak!
Ill post what happens! OOOO! Im sooo excited
Love the experiement! My opinion is try all three...Brine vs soak vs both

Old 01-28-2009, 12:11 PM   #33
Assistant Cook

Hello All! Im back!!! ( 50 years later) so I tryed the fried chicken yesterday after letting in sit in buttermilk......... yes Im a dummy!

I completely forgot to do the brine thing or even to add salt to the buttermilk!!! gggggrrr. Needless to say I will have to try this again. And then my chicken was still bloody!! I had to re-fry it. Which I dont think was good. It was rubbery!

So Im gonna thaw so more chicken tonight and retry it. Practice makes perfect right?? GULP............ I hope
But how do you know when fried chicken is done?? (this is such a sad question) lol
Old 01-28-2009, 12:18 PM   #34
Everymom

I soak mine in buttermilk, a tsp of salt and a generous shake of chile flakes. Then the batter is pretty much what i've seen here. I fry it til golden then finish on racks in the oven. The biggest trick for me was learning to let the coating "set" for about 15 minutes before putting the chicken in the frying pan.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:20 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
The chicken should cook 20 minutes or so, depending on the pieces. About halfway through this time turn the pieces over in the skillet or fryer. Let them rest sitting on a cooling rack for about 5 minutes or so. Then test. The darker meat takes longer...best I remember

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:28 PM   #36
Assistant Cook

hhhmmm. ok
so let it set-check,
make sure it frys long enough-check
I cant wait to try again! Thanks for the help.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:06 PM   #37
Head Chef

Ok. This is what I do.

Soak in buttermilk brine that has "soul food" seasoning rather than salt, and fresh ground pepper for an hour or so.

Making sure the pieces are wet with the buttermilk, put in paper bag with seasoned flour [Soul food seasoning and fresh ground pepper].

Cook in a cast iron chicken fryer with 2 or 3 inches of bacon grease mixed with lard on medium to medium low heat til golden. Sometimes I will cover the fryer with a lid until I turn the pieces.

The bacon grease mixed with lard gives an indefineable flavor to the chicken. Soul food seasoning is similar to seasoning salt but far far superior IMHO. When I found this I threw out an entire giant size bottle of Lawrys, it is that much better. I buy it at the Dollar store!
The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
http://leoladysw.blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 05:57 AM   #38
Cook

Have you tried to coat the chicken with mashed fried corn (the snack...).

You roll the chicken into flour that you have flavoured with spices, like curry, paprika...whatever you like. Then into beaten egg, and finally into the mashed fried corn.

Then you fry it....it is really nice...

Tags
None