My Ex used to make the best fried chicken...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I used a buttermilk brine on my turkey this year. It was yummy, but the turkey breast I smoked was a bigger hit.

OH MY BACARDI! That looks delish! Im over here droolin!
Quick question: What would happen if I brined the chicken, AND then let it sit in a buttermilk bath? ( would I end up with chicken baby food?) lol

Thank you! It's great if you like crispy chicken. If you prefer softer crust, like kfc, use cake flour :)

Honestly don't know as I've never tried...I can a one hour soak in buttermilk brine was much better than a 24 hour soak in unsalted buttermilk...

Here's an easy variation that's very good if you like a little spice:

CAJUN FRIED CHICKEN

1/2 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/3 Cup Tabasco Sauce (Original)
1/4 Cup Water
1 Cup Unsifted Self-Rising Flour
1 Teaspoon Salt
3-Pound Cut-Up Chicken
1-1/2 Cups Vegetable Oil

Combine cayenne, mustard, Tabasco, and water in a bowl just large enough to hold chicken.

Deeply pierce chicken several times with cooking fork, then add to bowl, turning to coat well. Marinate for 1 hour, turning frequently. Drain chicken on rack for about 10 minutes.

Combine flour and salt in a 1-gallon plastic sealable plastic bag. Add chicken a few pieces at a time, seal bag, and shake to coat chicken well with flour mixture. Remove chicken from bag, shaking off excess flour, and return the pieces to rack. Repeat with remaining pieces of chicken. Allow chicken to dry on rack for about 30 minutes.

Heat oil to 375 degrees Fahrenheit in frying pan large enough to hold all of the chicken. Fry for 30 minutes, turning it over only one time (i.e., 15 minutes on each side). Drain on paper towels.

PieSusan - that recipe sounds awesome and that is the first time I have ever seen Dijon mustard used that way. It would be a serious stroke of luck if that's the recipe his ex used! I sure am glad you posted that link though!!!! :chef:

I had to learn to cook a heart healthy diet for my parents--and my mom is diabetic. So, I learned how to make tasty recipes that were healthy--even with desserts.

However, I must admit, I would rather have a small portion of a real dessert than a big portion of a "healthier" dessert. It is my feeling that if you are virtuous most of the time, dessert is where you should be able to cheat in moderation. To me, it is a quality of life issue. Fortunately, my parents' doctor agreed.

Thank you! It's great if you like crispy chicken. If you prefer softer crust, like kfc, use cake flour :)

Honestly don't know as I've never tried...I can a one hour soak in buttermilk brine was much better than a 24 hour soak in unsalted buttermilk...

:chef: Put on the hat ppl cause it time to experiment!! Its OFFICIAL!! Im gonna try it! A brine, and THEN a buttermilk soak!
Ill post what happens! OOOO! Im sooo excited

:chef: Put on the hat ppl cause it time to experiment!! Its OFFICIAL!! Im gonna try it! A brine, and THEN a buttermilk soak!
Ill post what happens! OOOO! Im sooo excited

Love the experiement! My opinion is try all three...Brine vs soak vs both

Hello All! Im back!!! ( 50 years later) so I tryed the fried chicken yesterday after letting in sit in buttermilk......... yes Im a dummy!:rolleyes:

I completely forgot to do the brine thing or even to add salt to the buttermilk!!! gggggrrr. Needless to say I will have to try this again. And then my chicken was still bloody!! I had to re-fry it. Which I dont think was good. It was rubbery!:mad:

So Im gonna thaw so more chicken tonight and retry it. Practice makes perfect right?? GULP............ I hope
But how do you know when fried chicken is done?? (this is such a sad question) lol

I soak mine in buttermilk, a tsp of salt and a generous shake of chile flakes. Then the batter is pretty much what i've seen here. I fry it til golden then finish on racks in the oven. The biggest trick for me was learning to let the coating "set" for about 15 minutes before putting the chicken in the frying pan.

The chicken should cook 20 minutes or so, depending on the pieces. About halfway through this time turn the pieces over in the skillet or fryer. Let them rest sitting on a cooling rack for about 5 minutes or so. Then test. The darker meat takes longer...best I remember :chef:

hhhmmm. ok
so let it set-check,
make sure it frys long enough-check
I cant wait to try again! Thanks for the help.

Ok. This is what I do.

Soak in buttermilk brine that has "soul food" seasoning rather than salt, and fresh ground pepper for an hour or so.

Making sure the pieces are wet with the buttermilk, put in paper bag with seasoned flour [Soul food seasoning and fresh ground pepper].

Cook in a cast iron chicken fryer with 2 or 3 inches of bacon grease mixed with lard on medium to medium low heat til golden. Sometimes I will cover the fryer with a lid until I turn the pieces.

The bacon grease mixed with lard gives an indefineable flavor to the chicken. Soul food seasoning is similar to seasoning salt but far far superior IMHO. When I found this I threw out an entire giant size bottle of Lawrys, it is that much better. I buy it at the Dollar store!

Have you tried to coat the chicken with mashed fried corn (the snack...).

You roll the chicken into flour that you have flavoured with spices, like curry, paprika...whatever you like. Then into beaten egg, and finally into the mashed fried corn.

Then you fry it....it is really nice...

Back
Top Bottom