My Ex used to make the best fried chicken...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wanderer2day

Assistant Cook
It's been years and no idea how to contact her, but she made the best (milk flavored) fried chicken I have ever had. I've tried everything from soaking it overnight to making the batter from milk and flour and can't get the same taste.
She would do something first (that I never saw) and then fry it and put it in the oven to finish. She was born and raised in Philadelphia and I have searched to see if it is Regional thing, but came up with nothing!
All I know is every bite had a distinct milk flavored taste and smell and its killing me cause I want some right now :cry: and can't figure out how to copy it.
Anybody got any recipes for this?
Thanks,
Rick

I tried buttermilk as well, but I can't get the flavor past the skin. What I'm doing right now is simmering the chicken parts in half and half and milk for about 20 minutes and then I'm going to let it cool in the fridge for an hour or so to see if simmering might infuse the flavor deeper.
I'll figure this thing out if it kills me.... lol

I would not simmer the chicken in anything if you are going to then fry it. First off, you should never partially cook chicken as that is not safe. If the 20 minute simmer cooks it through to 165 then you are OK, but then you will have overcooked chicken after you fry it.

A buttermilk soak for 24 hours is pretty traditional. Did you try the soak or just using it in the recipe somehow?

Next time get the recipe first then break up! :-p

While it was probably soaked in buttermilk over night then rolled in flour and cooked, the spices she used were probably her own mixture and that (I think) will be the hard part to duplicate.

Changed my plan of attack. Let it sit in fresh milk for just a few minutes (simmering is the only thing I haven't tried and the only way I know to get the milk past the skin and into the meat) and went straight to the frying pan to keep any little critters from multiplying. After this, into the oven. If this works, I'll let you guys know, cause this was "good" chicken.
I knew that was coming. Believe me, many a time I've kicked myself for not getting the recipe first
By the way, I'm bringing the temperature down with fresh cold milk in the freezer very quickly and then I will flour it and fry it to the proper temp immediately before I attempt to eat it. If I get sick from this, I will just assume she hid the recipe from me knowing I would try this eventually:ROFLMAO:

Forget your ex, and her milky chicken, and use this recipe! I guarantee you won't care about any milky chicken anymore...

Southern Fried Chicken

Prep Time:10 minInactive Prep Time: hr minCook Time:14 min Level:Easy Serves:6 to 8 servings
ip0210_chicken_med.jpg

3 eggs
1 cup hot red pepper sauce (try Texas Pete's)
2 cups self-rising flour
2 1/2 pound chicken, cut into pieces
House Seasoning, recipe follows
Oil, for frying, preferably peanut oil

Heat the oil to 350 degrees F in a deep pot. Do not fill the pot more than 1/2 full with oil. In a medium size bowl, beat the eggs. Add enough hot sauce so the egg mixture is bright orange (about 1 cup). Season the chicken with the House Seasoning. Dip the seasoned chicken in the egg, and then coat well in the flour. Place the chicken in the preheated oil and fry the chicken in the oil until brown and crisp. Dark meat takes longer than white meat. Approximate cooking time is 13 to 14 minutes for dark meat and 8 to 10 minutes for white meat.

House Seasoning:
1 cup salt
1/4 cup pepper
1/4 cup garlic powder
To make the House Seasoning, mix the ingredients together and store in an air-tight container for up to 6 months.

-- Paula Deen

Forget your ex, and her milky chicken, and use this recipe! I guarantee you won't care about any milky chicken anymore...

Southern Fried Chicken

Prep Time:10 minInactive Prep Time: hr minCook Time:14 min Level:Easy Serves:6 to 8 servings
ip0210_chicken_med.jpg

3 eggs
1 cup hot red pepper sauce (try Texas Pete's)
2 cups self-rising flour
2 1/2 pound chicken, cut into pieces
House Seasoning, recipe follows
Oil, for frying, preferably peanut oil

Heat the oil to 350 degrees F in a deep pot. Do not fill the pot more than 1/2 full with oil. In a medium size bowl, beat the eggs. Add enough hot sauce so the egg mixture is bright orange (about 1 cup). Season the chicken with the House Seasoning. Dip the seasoned chicken in the egg, and then coat well in the flour. Place the chicken in the preheated oil and fry the chicken in the oil until brown and crisp. Dark meat takes longer than white meat. Approximate cooking time is 13 to 14 minutes for dark meat and 8 to 10 minutes for white meat.

House Seasoning:
1 cup salt
1/4 cup pepper
1/4 cup garlic powder
To make the House Seasoning, mix the ingredients together and store in an air-tight container for up to 6 months.

-- Paula Deen

OMG, I want some of this right now, but just told DW we could go up to the local eatery cuz I have a meeting tonight with no time to cook. I don't know if this will keep until tomorrow, but I'm sure going to make it then. This is just too easy to let go by without trying, and if the picture tells the truth (it must, I'm drooling) I can hardly wait to get some.

Thanks RobsanX & Paula!

Joe, when I first read this recipe, I thought it looked mediocre, but it was easy so I thought what the heck. Then when I made it I was really astounded by how good it tastes.

I might have just used 1/2-3/4 cup of hot sauce in the eggs, which gave it a really good flavor without the heat. But I'll leave that up to you to adjust.

Funny side note on that....I recently saw Paula's House seasoning being sold in a market for just under 7.00 bucks!! And a small bottle at that!
7 dollars for salt, pepper, and garlic wow!! Talk about paying for the label! :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

Let me tell you something. I used to believe that my ex was the best cook in the world. Until recently I had an opportunity to eat at her house. If it was a restaurant I would demand a refund. So I asked her if she always cooked that particular dish that way, and she said yes. It was one of my favorites. It was not good at all. So, stop thinking about your ex. Move on. Eat what you make and enjoy, I [FONT=&quot]guarantee your cooking is just as good if not better.
[/FONT]

Really, I haven't thought about her for about 15 years now (I don't even remember what color hair she had). I just wanted some chicken!But, the last recipe I tried and just ate didn't taste like what I remember, so maybe its my memory and taste buds that are going and not my love life:LOL:.

wanderer2day said:
She would do something first (that I never saw) and then fry it and put it in the oven to finish

Maybe she "brined' the chicken....Could be that no milk or milk products were involved at all....

Hey Rick-as a battle scarred veteran of a couple of marriages, I would recommend forgetting about the milky chicken and head for KFC.

No doubt her chicken was good-but do you really want to go back in through the out door ? Its a slippery slope my friend!!:LOL:

The Paula Deen recipe is the best ever! I use it all the time. Some times I brine the chicken beforehand for about an hour in: 1 qt water, 2 tbsp Brown Sugar, 1 crushed garlic clove, 1/4 Cup Kosher Sale. A tasty variation.

I've been using the Paula Deen recipe for quite awhile since I saw her make in on her show. It's really good and easy! It's the only recipe I use now.

Barb

You're missing the most important item...To SALT the buttermilk! You want to create a buttermilk brine, which allows osmosis to happen, aka allow the buttermilk to penetrate the skin...You only need it to soak for about an hour...

Here's what I did Friday night with chicken breast cutlets...After a buttermilk brine, I drizzled some buttermilk into the dredge flour and used my fingers to get the flour clumpy...I dredged the breast in regular flour, dipped in egg then the clumpy flour, this is the results...

l_4ca8f383c24d4a13934e5bb63d9a24d8.jpg

OH MY BACARDI! That looks delish! Im over here droolin!
Quick question: What would happen if I brined the chicken, AND then let it sit in a buttermilk bath? ( would I end up with chicken baby food?) lol

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom