My Favorite Chicken Coating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
For those that love a well seasoned coating on their chicken, but KFC is too salty and greasy, try this. I was trying to recreate the KFC recipe (which I did once, but didn't write down, and haven't been able to do again). You can boast that you use more seasonings than the Colonel, and it tastes really good. I've posted it before, but don't know if anyone has tried it other than me, and a guy at work who now swears by it. In any case, you can use it, change it, or ignore it. But here it is.

Chief Longwind's Favorite Chicken Coating
Preheat the oven to 375' F.
In a bowl, combine the following with a wire whisk.
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. granulated garlic powder
1/8 tsp. powdered ginger
1/2 tsp. marjoram
1/4 tsp. rubbed sage
1/4 tsp. ground thyme
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. turmeric
1/8 tsp. red pepper
1 dash Chinese 5-spice powder
1/8 tsp. celery seed
1/4 tsp. granulated onion powder
1 tsp. chili powder
In a separate bowl, make an egg-wash from 1 large egg whisked with 1/4 cup water.

Preheat 2 inches of oil in a frying pan until fragrant. Turn heat to medium flame.

Skin the chicken thighs and dredge in seasoned flour. Dip in the egg-wash, and then again in the seasoned flour. Shake excess coating from the chicken and place in hot oil. Don't crown the pan. Fry on each side for 2 minutes. Remove the chicken to a foil-lined pan and place into the oven. Bake for 20 minutes. Serve immediately.

This is great with baked sweet potatoes served in the skin, and drizzled with honey-butter, or rutabagas, or winter squash, and something very green. Desert - maybe a creme brulee.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom