"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 10-15-2010, 01:32 PM   #11
Master Chef

ohmygosh, MA, that recipe of your mom's sounds fabulous !!
Question about this part....."2 pkgs long grain wild rice cooked in chicken broth" I assume the rice is cooked by itself to use the poaching liquid used for the chicken, and then added to the recipe? I love the idea of the dried fruit!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 02:10 PM   #12
Flour Child

hmm...good question, kayelle...that sounds about right but I'll ask Mother for confirmation on that...stay tuned

Update:

She says, " use 2 pkgs 6 oz each long grain and wild rice (omit one packet of seasoning). After cooking the chicken in the water/sherry/curry/onion/celery mixture then reserve that chicken broth and use part of it for cooking the rice according to pkg direction". Also, she mentioned to bake the casserole covered.

By the way...she told me not to tell you all that she used Uncle Ben's ...haha

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:28 PM   #13
Master Chef

OK thanks to you and your mom, MA.
Uncle who??

Old 10-15-2010, 06:55 PM   #14
Cook

Chicken Casserole

Kayelle, that chicken casserole you just sent - is that chicken with the skin on or skinless? It sounds so good!!!
Old 10-15-2010, 08:03 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlene2 View Post
Kayelle, that chicken casserole you just sent - is that chicken with the skin on or skinless? It sounds so good!!!
Marlene, you could do it however you prefer, just drain off most of the grease in the skillet before you add the mushrooms, if you choose to use the skin on method. I myself, prefer the skin on method because of the depth of flavor that the golden skin seems to impart in the dish, however some folks shudder with the thought of chicken skin.
Thanks for the nice words, I hope you enjoy it.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:15 PM   #16
Half Baked

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyanne View Post
Hi Kayelle...here's a version from my mother:

Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole

2 3lb fryers cut up

Cook chicken in these ingredients then cool and bone:
1 Cup water
1 Cup sherry
1/2 tsp curry
1 medium onion
1/2 diced celery

Add these ingredients:
1 lb mushrooms sauteed in butter
4 Tbsp butter
2 pkgs long grain wild rice cooked in chicken broth
1 Cup sour cream
1 can mushroom soup
1 pkg (8 oz) dried fruit diced
1/4 Cup slivered almonds toasted

Combine and bake at 350 for 1 hour.
You can freeze and thaw completely.
Sounds good too.
What kind of packages of rice are we talking about?
2 rice a roni type already cooked with chicken broth and cooled?

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:58 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4meandthem View Post
Sounds good too.
What kind of packages of rice are we talking about?
2 rice a roni type already cooked with chicken broth and cooled?
4me, even though we aren't suppose to say "Uncle Ben".......in the grocery there is a box of Uncle Ben's long grain and wild rice mix, like the boxes of rice a roni. That's the kind she uses...two boxes with only the flavor packet of one. Hope that helps.

Old 10-16-2010, 12:34 AM   #18
Flour Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4meandthem
...already cooked with chicken broth and cooled?
...yes, Uncle Ben's (shhh) and use the reserved chicken broth to cook the rice according to pkg directions...then add into other ingredients (no need to cool the rice first because it's going right into the oven in the casserole).

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:53 AM   #19
Head Chef

sounds great, love artichokes,
Mine is Oven Barbq chicken I use the Deen brothers recipe, love it!!! Serve with a rice pilaf and a veggies of some kind. or if i have advance time I make a potato salad and baked beans. It really goes over well in the middle of winter.
heres the link to their recipe.
The Deen Brothers' BBQ Chicken Recipe : : Food Network
Old 10-16-2010, 08:45 AM   #20
Senior Cook

Mine is Baked Chicken with Brown Rice and Barley --

In three quart glass baking dish combine:

1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 envelop dried onion soup mix
1 can (1 1/4 cups) milk
1 can (1 1/4 cups) white wine, I use chablis
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons pearled barley
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons regular brown rice

Mix ingredients together well. Top with 8 chicken thighs with skin. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 1 1/2 hours or until grains are tender and chicken is cooked.

For high altitude cooking, increase the milk by 1/2 cup and after mixing the soups, milk, wine and grains together, cover with foil and bake for 1/2 hour at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Add chicken pieces, recover with foil and bake for 45 minutes more. Uncover and continue baking for about 45 minutes more or until chicken tests done and the grains are tender.

The recipe called for regular white rice when I first started making this dish but I tried the mixture of barley and brown rice and the flavor is so much richer.

Tags
recipe

My Favorite Company Chicken recipe [COLOR=Magenta][I]This is a delicious company chicken casserole I've used for years. It can be easily doubled.[/I][/COLOR] [I][COLOR=Magenta]It can be prepared and refrigerated the day before, and popped into the oven before guests arrive.[/COLOR][/I] [B] Chicken with Artichokes and Mushrooms One med. chicken cut in parts, or parts of chicken of your choice 1 tsp. paprika 1/2 tsp salt 1/2 tsp pepper 1 Tbs. chopped parsley 2 Tbs. veg. oil 2 Tbs. butter 1 can artichoke hearts (water packed) drained and cut in quarters 1/2 lb. mushrooms, sliced 1/4 cup flour 1/2 cup dry Sherry, or Vermouth, or dry white wine. (Sherry is best) 1 1/2 cups chicken broth additional chopped parsley Season chicken with paprika, salt, pepper, and parsley. Combine oil and butter in a large skillet, and brown chicken till nicely colored. Arrange chicken in a 9x13, or in a pretty casserole with a lid. Tuck artichoke quarters among the chicken pieces. In the remaining grease in the skillet, saute mushrooms 5 min. Sprinkle the flour over mushrooms and stir till combined. Slowly whisk in the Sherry and broth, and make sure to scrape up the browned bits from the bottom of the skillet, taste and adjust salt and pepper. Simmer about 5 minutes and pour over chicken and artichokes. Cover tightly with foil and place in oven at 350 degrees for about 50 minutes. Remove cover, sprinkle with parsley and serve with steamed rice, or mashed potatoes. [/B] 3 stars 1 reviews