"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2019, 05:42 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Oops sorry, meant 'wings', not 'ribs'

Old 09-04-2019, 08:41 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Pic of my chicken wings tonite

Here's a photo of the wings I promised.

I did the wings using the baking powder feature.
They didn't start really crisping up until after I raised the oven temp to 425 F for a while.

They looked quite crisp then, until I started brushing on the tangy sauce - then I think you know what happened - it quickly softened the crispiness significantly, but can't complain - it did brown very nicely to produce what's in the pic.

Real good news is the wings were very moist & tender inside, and the taste using this sauce seemed even better than I'd had it before.
This is a keeper imo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8753 Chicken Wings - my recipe.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	36536  

Old 09-08-2019, 05:03 AM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
I did this a few weeks ago and the sauce burned onto my basket …. I am going to have to use oven cleaner to get it off...
Do you spray the basket with cooking spray before use? I learned my lesson the first time I used the basket to roast some Hatch chilis.

I was going to cook the wings sans glaze in the basket, then transfer to the BGE to finish. I want to kiss them with smoke from the manuka wood I haven't used yet.

I've also contemplated using the cupcake chicken thigh equipment and doing the wings that way.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:51 AM   #14
Master Chef

Well my plan to do the wings yesterday fell through. I purchased the package of wings Saturday and was getting ready to use them, but when I opened the package, the smell about made me throw up. I took them back to the place I bought them for a replacement, but they were sold out (they were on special). Went to another store and they only had frozen pieces. I need whole wings for this cooking method. Guess I'll have to revert to opening the package at this store, like I used to do at Publix. This was the first time this has happened at this store.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:13 AM   #15
Master Chef

I picked up more wings yesterday and made your recipe. I started out with 2 Tbsp of sweet chili sauce and lite soy sauce. used the remaining ingredients for the glaze as written. Even with the lite soy sauce, I found it too salty, so I added 1 more Tbsp of the sweet chili sauce. I only did 8 whole wings and they turned out good. The little smokey flavor from the Manuka went well with the other flavors.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:44 AM   #16
Cook

I can't wait to see the image of this recipe, whoever has tried this recipe, please share the image.
kenmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:38 AM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmiller View Post
I can't wait to see the image of this recipe, whoever has tried this recipe, please share the image.
See my post number 12 above. I made my own recipe - perhaps you would like to see a photo from someone else who`s made it.

Tags
chicken, chicken wings, recipe

My favorite tangy chicken wings [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=#3e3e3e][B]CHILI-GLAZED CHICKEN WINGS WITH TOASTED SESAME SEEDS:[/B][/COLOR][/FONT] [FONT=Tahoma][B][COLOR=#3e3e3e]These wings are as good, or better than I've had anywhere. As an appetizer, lunch, or din-din.[/COLOR][/B][/FONT] [B][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=#3e3e3e]Ingredients:[/COLOR][/FONT][/B] [B][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=#3e3e3e]- 12-20 chicken wings, ( wingettes with drumettes - [/COLOR][/FONT][/B][FONT=Tahoma][B][COLOR=#3e3e3e]wing tips removed). If you prefer, you may cut each wing into 2 separate pieces.[/COLOR][/B][/FONT] [B][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=#3e3e3e]- Approx. 1 tbspn vegetable oil & some kosher or sea salt and ground pepper to season the wings.[/COLOR][/FONT][/B] [B][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=#3e3e3e]Glaze: (T. is tbspn)[/COLOR][/FONT][/B] [B][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=#3e3e3e]- 2-3 T. of sweet thai chili sauce[/COLOR][/FONT][/B] [B][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=#3e3e3e]- 2-3 T. of soy sauce[/COLOR][/FONT][/B] [B][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=#3e3e3e]- 3/4 tspn chili-garlic sauce (sriracha)[/COLOR][/FONT][/B] [B][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=#3e3e3e]- 1/2 tspn sesame oil[/COLOR][/FONT][/B] [B][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=#3e3e3e]- 1 tspn grated or finely diced fresh ginger[/COLOR][/FONT][/B] [B][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=#3e3e3e]- 1 T. of your favorite BBQ sauce[/COLOR][/FONT][/B] [B][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=#3e3e3e]- Optional additions: [/COLOR][/FONT][/B] [B][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=#3e3e3e]1 tspn. of either, or combo of, hoisin sauce, plum sauce, apricot jam.[/COLOR][/FONT][/B] [B][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=#3e3e3e]- Whisk together all glaze ingredients in a small bowl.[/COLOR][/FONT][/B] [B][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=#3e3e3e]- Set aside 1 T. toasted sesame seeds for garnishing wings after baking.[/COLOR][/FONT][/B] [B][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=#3e3e3e]Place Wings in a bowl & evenly coat them with the oil, & salt & pepper.[/COLOR][/FONT][/B] [B][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=#3e3e3e]Then more or less evenly arrange all the chicken pieces on a suitably-sized tinfoil-coated baking sheet sprayed with veg oil, & bake for 30- 35 minutes @ 350, turning once halfway into the baking time.[/COLOR][/FONT][/B] [B][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=#3e3e3e](You may alternatively prefer to use a mesh rack placed over the baking sheet on which to arrange the wing pieces, to preclude any potential over-browning of one side or the other of the pieces.)[/COLOR][/FONT][/B] [B][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=#3e3e3e]Remove wings from oven, and generously brush coat each piece all around with the glaze, & return to the oven for baking a further 10-20 minutes. Mid-way through, turn the wings and brush coat once more.[/COLOR][/FONT][/B] [B][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=#3e3e3e]To finalize, add another brushing of the glaze to the wings to thicken it up, and then turn on the top broiler for just a couple of minutes until glaze begins to darken/sear the wings a bit.[/COLOR][/FONT][/B] [B][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=#3e3e3e]Remove wings from oven, sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds & dig in.[/COLOR][/FONT][/B] 3 stars 1 reviews