My First Fresh Turkey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Skip your special seasoning mix. You cannot accurately estimate the salt exchange.

If you're following the Good Eats process, use a vegetable oil rather than butter. Butter can burn at the high initial temperature for the bird. Fat will help brown and crisp the skin. I don't think lard works better than oil ore vice versa.

Okay.
I made my brine. Instead of commercial stock, I just made a stock and brine in mt 8 quart stock pot. Figured I save a step and get a nice brine.
I used 8 quarts of water, 1 head of garlic, fresh sage, thyme, peppercorns, pepper flakes, chopped carrot, celery with leaves and onion along with the salt and sugar. This is my brine. I am going to set it outside overnight to cool. I will strain it before I brine the turkey.

I roasted onion, celery, carrot, peeled garlic cloves, herbs and turkey parts. Added them to another 8 quart stock pot and filled with water.
Some of you may remember my thread and picture of my final herb harvest this fall.
I am so glad I saved them. This will be my stock for other dishes.

So my brine is done ( I see why no more salt is needed!) and I have three more hours for my stock. I will take both outside to cool overnight.
It will be very cold tonight. But with all the salt in the brine and the little in the stock, they should be just fine.

Tomorrow I will brine the turkey. TIA!

Last edited:
I have always bought frozen turkeys and today I picked up a fresh Butterball turkey.
I don't think it has any salt solution? It says 5% water. Not sure, but will double check.

Must I brine this?
If yes, I have a large cooler I can use, but not sure about a brine recipe?
The weather will be cool, not cold.
I could fill bags with ice and submerge them into the brine.

Thanks for any advice.........John

I am certain this question has been asked many times over. I tried to search just the brine with mixed results.
Don't worry, the Food Gestapo won't come and arrest you if you don't brine it. As for the 5% water, don't run away with the idea that the manufacturers are doing you any favours by adding this. It's all about making the bird weigh more so you have to pay more. Do the maths in the case of a notional 10lb turkey....that's half an (American) pint of water which you are paying for, for no very good reason.

Butterball has also had a lot of bad press after disclosures about the squalid living conditions on their factory farms and cruelty meted out to the birds both during their lives and at point of death. I am not involved with any animal welfare groups so I have no axe to grind in that quarter but I do have relatives who are in the butchery trade and an uncle and a cousin who are local authority Meat Inspectors in the Nottingham area of the UK. They all categorically state that the eating quality of the meat is heavily influenced by the living conditions of the animals. Stress affects both the taste and texture of the meat and also it's nutritional value

Since today is Thanksgiving I don't think discussing commercial poultry living and dying conditions will be conducive to the day. But I do get it.

Okay bird is in the oven, and the stock is reducing. I ended up with 1.25 gallons!
I did not follow AB's brine nor his technique to the letter. However, I did use the exact salt and sugar measurements.
I will also roast my bird at 325°F for the complete roasting time, instead of the high heat method. My turkeys always come out nice and brown and need no extra browning steps.
My bird brined over night. 16 hours. Rinsed it well this morning and dried it.

I did add a touch of my seasoning mix and some cracked pepper. I know you guys warned me about doing this. So I used very little. The bird seemed naked without the seasoning. I did not put any inside. Just a light dusting on the outside after I oiled it up real good. I am also roasting the bird breast down for 1/2 the roasting time.

So now I can relax a little. I had to take a Xanax yesterday and one this morning as I am a bit overwhelmed. I am used to cooking for me and the wife with occasional guest or two.

Gracias Amigos! And Feliz Dia De Accion De Gracias!!!!!!

Last edited:
Since today is Thanksgiving I don't think discussing commercial poultry living and dying conditions will be conducive to the day. But I do get it.

Okay bird is in the oven, and the stock is reducing. I ended up with 1.25 gallons!
I did not follow AB's brine nor his technique to the letter. However, I did use the exact salt and sugar measurements.
I will also roast my bird at 325°F for the complete roasting time, instead of the high heat method. My turkeys always come out nice and brown and need no extra browning steps.
My bird brined over night. 16 hours. Rinsed it well this morning and dried it.

I did add a touch of my seasoning mix and some cracked pepper. I know you guys warned me about doing this. So I used very little. The bird seemed naked without the seasoning. I did not put any inside. Just a light dusting on the outside after I oiled it up real good. I am also roasting the bird breast down for 1/2 the roasting time.

So now I can relax a little. I had to take a Xanax yesterday and one this morning as I am a bit overwhelmed. I am used to cooking for me and the wife with occasional guest or two.

Gracias Amigos! And Feliz Dia De Accion De Gracias!!!!!!
<<Since today is Thanksgiving I don't think discussing commercial poultry living and dying conditions will be conducive to the day.>>
Oh, really? I would have thought Thanksgiving was just the time to be considering these things.

I was under the impression that Thanksgiving was about giving thanks for God's (or who/wherever you believe it comes from) bounty, in which case there is very good reason for respecting the animals you are eating -to say nothing of respecting your stomachs..

<<Since today is Thanksgiving I don't think discussing commercial poultry living and dying conditions will be conducive to the day.>>
Oh, really? I would have thought Thanksgiving was just the time to be considering these things.

I was under the impression that Thanksgiving was about giving thanks for God's (or who/wherever you believe it comes from) bounty, in which case there is very good reason for respecting the animals you are eating -to say nothing of respecting your stomachs..

In that case, you can start a separate thread about it, but I think it's insensitive and inappropriate to bring it up in this thread.

I didn't see this question until now but for future reference, if you want crispy skin you should remove from the brine, rinse and let air dry for 6-12 hours.

I'm thinking that it is the air drying that had Bones asking about refrigerating overnight. The bacons I have been making all call for a night in the fridge to help them dry from the brining.

Okay friends. The dinner was excellent. The turkey was excellent as were all the other dishes. It was a success.

The addition of the seasoning before roasting did not impart to much salt. In fact, I could have lightly sprinkled some kosher salt.
The turkey was nice and crispy. Very moist.

I want to thank each and all of you for the help.

Okay friends. The dinner was excellent. The turkey was excellent as were all the other dishes. It was a success.

The addition of the seasoning before roasting did not impart to much salt. In fact, I could have lightly sprinkled some kosher salt.

Yea! Congrats on your success!

After cooking, helping others and offering suggestions is what we all do best. Glad it turned out great. :angel:

Okay friends. The dinner was excellent. The turkey was excellent as were all the other dishes. It was a success. The addition of the seasoning before roasting did not impart to much salt. In fact, I could have lightly sprinkled some kosher salt. The turkey was nice and crispy. Very moist. I want to thank each and all of you for the help.
Yay! :flowers: :clap:

I am not sure I will brine my turkey again next year? I mean buy a fresh turkey.

I am not sure a fresh turkey brined, is any better than the frozen grocery store model? I always roast breast side down for 1/2 the roasting time either way.

There was no remarkable difference. But it was fun and I learned something.

ps......The grocery store turkey was 47¢ a LB.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom