My First Try at Turkey Pot Pie :D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raven

Sous Chef
Well, first off, let me say a big thank you to the gang here at DC for giving me the courage to try 2 new things this year.

One was making my own stock (I am now a fresh stock/broth junkie).

The other was to try making my own Pot Pies :chef:

We had our big Christmas meal Saturday so after stripping the turkey carcus I put it in the fridge then boiled it down yesterday evening and put the stock in the freezer.

Today I took some of the leftover turkey, cubed it up and added some frozen peas and carrots.

I then melted 2 Tbl butter in a big skillet, added 2 Tbl AP Flour and stirred it into a rue, then added 2 cups of my turkey stock to make a gravy. I then added the turkey and veg. to the pan and stirred it together.

I then made a standard pie crust (2 cups AP flour, 1 tsp Salt, 2/3 Cup Butter cut together until about the texture of corn meal then sprinkle 5-7 Tbl. water combining with fork after each Tbl. then divide in half and roll) but I didn't roll it out thin enough and it got pretty thick in the oven ha ha.

Anyway I put the whole thing in a glass dish and baked at 400º for 1 hour until nice and golden brown.

It came out great (though too much crust and not enough salt) :mrgreen:

God Bless and Happy New Year!

~ Raven ~

Sounds great Raven, glad to hear that all in all your ended up with a really nice success. Turkey pot pie is one of my all time favourite foods. I follow my mother's leed and use a quiche pastry recipe for the crust.

Last edited:
Mmmm! Quiche pastry! I'll try that next time Piccolina. Thanks!! :mrgreen:

My regular pie crust was just too... I dunno, the only way I can describe it is "harsh" ha ha.

~ Raven ~

Raven, you did a great job on your filling. That's exactly the way I do mine. Just taste and reseason once it's done.
About your crust...your recipe is just fine, but pot pie needs crust on the top only! So just do what you did, but leave out the bottom crust. It soaks up too much of the juice.

Back
Top Bottom