"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 07-31-2011, 06:35 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
You can use vegetable broth in place of water for the brine. Also, you should rinse off the meat after brining to get rid of excess salt solution.

I would recommend salt free seasonings for brined meats at least until you know how it tastes. If you try to cut back on the salt in the brine to compensate for the salt in the seasoning blend you add after brining, you are lessening the effectiveness of the brine.
Thanks for that, Andy! Charcoal started, will rinse the meat. I used your recipe as written for brine. Will use my sweet little Lodge hibachi.

Now you have two other women to please...poor guy. Hope SO doesn't mind.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:33 PM   #12
Executive Chef

I always add sliced citrus fruits to the brining solution. It gives whatever I am brining a bright, fresh taste.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:03 PM   #13
Master Chef

I used plain sage (no salt) and did rinse. They are delicious, but to be fair, I can't remember the last time I grilled bone and skin on chicken breasts, and they were huge ... in other words they would have been juicier and more flavorful than the frozen boneless/skinless IQF that are a backup staple here, without the brining. I'm still trying it again, next attempt will be a couple of pork tenderloins I have in the freezer, as soon as it is cool enough to use the oven. I want to make a sort of wellington type preparation. Tenderloins are so small and so lean that they dry out easily.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:10 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire
I used plain sage (no salt) and did rinse. They are delicious, but to be fair, I can't remember the last time I grilled bone and skin on chicken breasts, and they were huge ... in other words they would have been juicier and more flavorful than the frozen boneless/skinless IQF that are a backup staple here, without the brining. I'm still trying it again, next attempt will be a couple of pork tenderloins I have in the freezer, as soon as it is cool enough to use the oven. I want to make a sort of wellington type preparation. Tenderloins are so small and so lean that they dry out easily.
My brined chops turned out wonderfully! (btw, I just realized this was the poultry forum, sorry). I was glad Andy said to rinse the meat, I probably wouldn't have done this otherwise, and they would have been too salty.

Will try the citrus, Sir Loin!
Old 08-01-2011, 03:17 PM   #15
Master Chef

Don't feel bad ... I didn't know where to ask the brine question because I was planning to use it for both pork and chicken!
Old 08-01-2011, 03:22 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Don't feel bad ... I didn't know where to ask the brine question because I was planning to use it for both pork and chicken!
That's a good point. Is brining considered marinating?
Old 08-01-2011, 09:34 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
That's a good point. Is brining considered marinating?
Brining is more about retaining the meat's liquid and making it more savory, although you can impart flavor by adding herbs, garlic, hot pepper, etc.

I'd suggest adding some soy sauce (subbing for some of the salt) because it gives the brine an unami boost.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:41 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

so a brine can be a marinade, or not. and a mwrinade can be a brine, or not.

lol, ok, got it.

if a brine has extra stuff in it for flavour, it's a marinade.

but marinades don't have to start with a brine. they can impart flavour other ways.

does that sound right?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 03:14 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Tom mate I'm confused by Brine/Marinade, I used to brine my fists to make them tougher.
Ps I never understood why you have to brine mackerel and salmon before smoking as I thought they did it themselves.
PPs I soak my conkers in vinegar before a competition, its against the rules but I live on the edge.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:07 AM   #20
Chief Eating Officer

Marinades generally have an acid component. Brines generally do not.

Tags
recipe

Need brine recipe Have 4 huge bone in, skin on chicken breast halves. I've been wanting to experiment with brining, and can't find a recipe. Is this appropriate for this cut? What would the proportion of salt to water? It is now noon, and I'll probably put them on the grill at 5:30 or so. Is this enough time? 3 stars 1 reviews