"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 07-31-2011, 01:20 PM   #1
Master Chef

Need brine recipe

Have 4 huge bone in, skin on chicken breast halves. I've been wanting to experiment with brining, and can't find a recipe. Is this appropriate for this cut? What would the proportion of salt to water? It is now noon, and I'll probably put them on the grill at 5:30 or so. Is this enough time?

Old 07-31-2011, 03:36 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

One quart of water, 4 TB kosher salt, 2 Tb sugar. Use these proportions at one quart of brine for every pound of food. Brine for at least 30 minutes and no more than 8 hours.

Old 07-31-2011, 03:42 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
One quart of water, 4 TB kosher salt, 2 Tb sugar. Use these proportions at one quart of brine for every pound of food. Brine for at least 30 minutes and no more than 8 hours.
Would this work with pork chops too? I am defrosting a couple thick loin chops for the grill.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:43 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Works on anything
Old 07-31-2011, 03:48 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
Works on anything
Great! Brining away!
Old 07-31-2011, 03:57 PM   #6
Master Chef

Andy, thank you. I've been wanting to try this on poultry and/or pork for ages, and watch American Food Kitchen a lot (that site would have been my next stop) I'm sure if I find it a vast improvement on my already beloved grilled chicken I'll do it enough to do it second nature. I've heard of putting in extra ingredients (cider, other stuff) but wanted to start with a basic. It should be soaking for 3 hours before I pull it out and rub with sage and put on the coals.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:00 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

I've never brined anything, but it is my understanding that you can add your herbs or other spices right to the brine solution. You just need to lessen the salt if using a seasoning with salt included in it. I'm thinking you could add that sage right to the solution and let it get pulled in with the brine.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:11 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I've never brined anything either, but while I await the arrival of my new stovetop smoker, I thought this sounded really good. Will probably sprinkle with something else (no salt). Suggestions?
Old 07-31-2011, 05:19 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

You can use vegetable broth in place of water for the brine. Also, you should rinse off the meat after brining to get rid of excess salt solution.

I would recommend salt free seasonings for brined meats at least until you know how it tastes. If you try to cut back on the salt in the brine to compensate for the salt in the seasoning blend you add after brining, you are lessening the effectiveness of the brine.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:24 PM   #10
Master Chef

Guess I'll have to report back after supper!

Tags
recipe

Need brine recipe Have 4 huge bone in, skin on chicken breast halves. I've been wanting to experiment with brining, and can't find a recipe. Is this appropriate for this cut? What would the proportion of salt to water? It is now noon, and I'll probably put them on the grill at 5:30 or so. Is this enough time? 3 stars 1 reviews