"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 11-05-2012, 06:10 PM   #11
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
All good answers. But it's not the "How do I cook it?" part. I have lots of techniques that I know. It's coming up with a unique and delicious flavor. And though I can do that for myself, I'd rather prepare something that both DW, and I can eat together.

Her meat has to be extra tender, as her dentures can be painful at times. She doesn't like black pepper, not the flavor, nor the heat sensation. Chili's of any kind are out. Strong vinegar flavor is out. Sage, Thyme, and basil all have peppery after tones, and so are out. Rosemary has to be in powder form. Turmerick and saffron are out. Curry is out. Nutmeg and cloves are flavors that she doesn't care for either, though I can get away with cloves, if I use it sparingly. She's not crazy about lemon, but likes it if used gently, and with some foods. I may try other citrus fruits for my sauces, or glazes. That might bring me the variety I'm looking for.

Garlic, onion, 5-spice, paprika, scant oregano, and salt are flavors she likes. She also likes teryaki, and my sweet and sour sauces. Chives are ok, as is pineapple and apricot. She likes mushrooms, as long as they aren't overcooked and tough, and in small amounts.

I like the idea of baking chicken pieces. I can carve up a raw chicken fairly quickly. I can also spatchcock it quickly. But again, she would get the white meat, while I would use the dark meat for myself. I like both, and so it doesn't matter to me.

And Snip, I'm sure your chicken is every bit as good as is mine. Don't be so self-deprecating. I am not a cooking god, just a guy who enjoys cooking, and making good food.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Chief,

For what my opinion is worth here. I've been wanting to try this idea out for myself. You can take it and run with it. You're a creative cook.

Wish this week wasn't so hectic. Today especially. Or I'd do it myself.

What I wanted to do is take a whole chicken, spatch cock it, cut it up whatever it won't matter too much IMHO..

Wrap the chicken in foil. Add no seasonings at all. Put it on the rotisserie until it's about 30 minutes away from being fully cooked. Remove the foil. Leave it on the spit. Brush/ baste the chicken with" pear butter." Until it's glaze caramelizes. Char the skin just a little bit. You'll find recipes here for it. The ingredients can be tweaked to suit her tastes very easily. It will at least be something new.

Take it off the spit, let it rest. Carve. I'm sure you could make a light tasting salad dressing to accompany the dish.

Good luck!

Munky.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:06 PM   #12
Master Chef

Garlic, onion, 5-spice, paprika, scant oregano, and salt are flavors she likes. She also likes teryaki, and my sweet and sour sauces. Chives are ok, as is pineapple and apricot. She likes mushrooms, as long as they aren't overcooked and tough, and in small amounts.

And Snip, I'm sure your chicken is every bit as good as is mine. Don't be so self-deprecating. I am not a cooking god, just a guy who enjoys cooking, and making good food.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North[/QUOTE]

I didn't really give a method of cooking. Looks like it's only the pepper in my recipe she won't like. My son is not fond of it either so I sometimes leave it out and add some chopped fresh lemon thyme and parsley to my roasted garlic butter.
Now that I know the flavours she likes I can think a bit about ways I make chicken that include those.
I trust my cooking Chief and thank you for saying mine is good too
You just have a few years on me and more experience, I still have lots to learn. Who knows, I may just give you a run for your money in a few years
I should have some more ideas after my second or third cup of coffee! Still fast asleep.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:32 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

You might try a variation on Chicken Tandoori.
Garam masala is a spice blend that hopefully your wife will tolerate. You can reduce or eliminate the cayenne pepper. There are many recipes for this dish on the 'net.
I have made it several times but never the same way twice. I like it a lot but Mrs. Hoot is leery of exotic recipes.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:37 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Kadesma's chicken thighs and honey is mighty good, too. I don't see why it couldn't be adapted for a whole chicken. Link to the post is below:
Chicken Thighs
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:56 AM   #15
Head Chef

season one side to your liking, and one side to her liking, see what happens.

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:47 PM   #16
Master Chef

Tried thinking of more ideas but I like chilli and curry too much. Just my garlic chicken, chutney mayo and black chicken that don't have hot spices in.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:09 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
Kadesma's chicken thighs and honey is mighty good, too. I don't see why it couldn't be adapted for a whole chicken. Link to the post is below:
Chicken Thighs
These sound nice, thanks Hoot

Tags
chicken